How late to change requested battery pack size?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions How late to change requested battery pack size?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions How late to change requested battery pack size?

• How late to change requested battery pack size?

• David Jackson

September 7, 2021 at 4:16 pm

Will Aptera be working through their reservation holders and then fine-tuning order details one by one? Or building vehicles in blocks and ignoring not-yet achieved reservation details? I would really like a 1000 mile range, but would settle for 600 if it’s going to be painfully delayed to get the 1000. Any idea when the 1000 mile range will be included in production or if I’ll have the chance to change to a 600-mile battery pack if my reservation number is ready for build but the 1000 mile batteries aren’t being installed yet?

• Gabe Kemeny

September 7, 2021 at 4:29 pm

Unlikely that will be known until production is well under way.

• Ozman

September 7, 2021 at 5:06 pm

The process hasn’t been released yet, When production hits, Aptera only mentioned the first four production runs 400s / 250s / 600s / 1,000s. I do not recall if any total numbers were mentioned. I find it highly unlikely they will try to build out the total reservations at that time. I would expect a limited number of vehicles in the first 5-6 months, (40? 100? 400?) that should include all variants. They mentioned that the 1,000s would be challenging to fit the batteries into, but that a long wait was not expected. (I believe they mentioned 1-2 months behind the others.) I would expect all of those first vehicles to be limited to either the San Diego area, Southern CA, or all of CA. After that I would expect them to expand production and area availability. It would make sense that they will contact reservation holders, in whatever order they end up using, to finalize all the details, range included. The notion of the 1,000s being much later doesn’t really make sense, but if you are worried, you could change your preorder to a 400, and when they contact you, make any adjustments then, and take whatever fits your timeframe.

• Fanfare 100

September 8, 2021 at 3:13 pm

You mentioned: “I would expect all of those first vehicles to be limited to either the San Diego area, Southern CA, or all of CA.”

I personally do not believe, in this day and age, that the logistics of having a vehicle shipped to practically anywhere around the world is difficult at all, let alone simply to another state. There are a bundle of services that do that all the time and for a very low fee. I can’t truly fathom this being an hurdle that would influence where one is on any given queue.

• Ozman

September 8, 2021 at 3:56 pm

Fanfare: from the SEC filings of this year. “Southern California rollout initially with Major Metro Areas soon after”

• Ozman

September 8, 2021 at 3:58 pm

Fanfare: Additionally, with anything new, you can expect bugs, recalls, adjustments, and so fourth. It’s far easier to address those issues in a local environment.

• Ronster

September 8, 2021 at 11:54 am

Space for batteries; I remember hearing there is space for even more batteries above 1000mi range (what’s the point to) so that isn’t the issue. I wish they would build the optioned out & pricier versions first as they will become the initial ambassadors to the brand and also bring in the most money, too.

• George Hughes

September 8, 2021 at 4:32 pm

It will likely depend on how restrained the battery supply is. The simple truth is they can build five Aptera in the 400 mile configuration or two in the 1000 mile configuration.

So would you rather than five ambassadors out driving ’round or two?

Put another way, those actually putting the Aptera together need practice. They will also get more practice building five complete Aptera than two. When they get better and faster at assembly with obviously fewer errors that compromise batteries or parts, it is time to build the more expensive, more costly vehicles.

• Ronster

September 8, 2021 at 4:35 pm

I get the logic.

It’s NOT just the batteries equation but the time to assemble an expensive one vs a less expensive one is likely very similar vs. (physically) assembling two.

Let place holders upgrade at each level and watch some automatic upsell in motion on each IMHO. Bonus for Aptera!! Run each pricier line a little longer.

Side Note: LUCID is starting with their top “Dream Edition” first. Create the lust. Display what’s possible.

• David Jackson

September 9, 2021 at 7:17 pm

Sounds like I should just keep being patient and see what they announce. Appreciate the thoughts y’all

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now