Hatch solar viewing issue?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Hatch solar viewing issue?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Hatch solar viewing issue?

• Hatch solar viewing issue?

kerbe2705 updated 1 month ago 4 Members · 7 Posts
  • Lou Verner

September 23, 2021 at 9:39 am

Will adding hatch solar preclude view out the rear? If so, would there be always on rear view camera to compensate? Thinking this would be safety issue

• Joshua Rosen

September 23, 2021 at 9:51 am

They are relying on the rear camera to compensate for the lack of a rear window. If they make the rear view mirror a display screen it might even be better than a mirror. I’ve selected the minimum number of solar cells because I’d prefer to have a rear window. I live in New England and I have a giant oak tree shading my driveway so my expectations is that the solar cells are going to be pretty useless for me. If you live in Arizona where there is 2-3 times as much sun as we have in New England and you don’t have trees then the calculus for the solar cells will be very different than it is for me. If I lived in a high sun zone I’d opt for the maximum number of solar cells and hope they get the camera right.

• Leonard Nowak

September 23, 2021 at 9:57 am

Building on Joshua’s reply…

I am that AZ future Aptera owner. Full Solar for me! I drive a vehicle now where I only use the side view mirrors and back up camera, so “don’t expect big changes”. There is a learning curve with any change of vehicle….IMHO ( 50 years of driving )

• kerbe2705

September 23, 2021 at 10:00 am

We really need to find a way to direct people to the FAQ so that the Forums don’t fill up with the same questions over and over and over again.

At least we’re not seeing so many, “Does this thing have AC and heat?” questions as we did on the old Forum…

• kerbe2705

September 23, 2021 at 10:04 am

If you look at this image you’ll see three “dark” diamonds at the top of the hatch: The one in the center is the high central brake light and the other two are locations for rearview cameras and sensors.

There’s a third, dedicated “reverse-view” camera below the license plate as the driver needs to see any obstructions hidden by the tail of the vehicle.

• Lou Verner

September 23, 2021 at 10:15 am

Thanks – much appreciated! Sorry didn’t see question addressed in FAQs.

• kerbe2705

September 23, 2021 at 6:49 pm

Didn’t mean to insult you – Len is a moderator, and the site has no “private” chat function. There are several questions that are asked repeatedly and the FAQ is massive: There should be a “top 10” list that’s readily accessible… 🙂

Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now