Grill View

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Grill View

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Grill View

• Grill View

Pistonboy updated 2 weeks, 2 days ago 6 Members · 9 Posts
  • Pistonboy

September 1, 2021 at 10:32 pm

If you go to the Aptera home page and scroll down to the third picture, it show a rear view of the vehicle. It appears the rear view camera is mounted below the license plate. This will give a very good view of the rear vehicle’s grill. Unfortunately I do not care for such an accurate picture of the grill. I prefer a view from a higher point, similar to the same height as a mirror produces.

• Philip Raymond

September 1, 2021 at 10:57 pm

All rear view cameras on most all vehicles are mounted somewhere near the rear license plate, on my 2018 Subaru Impreza, it’s right above the rear license plate. All rear view cameras on all makes and models, including the Aptera, use a wide angle lens. You will have a broad view of what’s behind you with this camera mount, not just the front license plate of the vehicle behind you. I’m guessing Aptera’s brain trust went with below the license plate, because the rear end of the Aptera sits significantly higher than most other vehicles.

• Roshiyu

September 1, 2021 at 11:15 pm

I’m not sure if all Apteras get it, or only those who get the solar package covering the rear window, but the camera that replaces the traditional rear view mirror appears to be mounted at the top of the rear window.

• Riley _

September 1, 2021 at 11:36 pm

That is correct, the rear view mirror camera is mounted at the top of the rear hatch on all versions of Aptera. When you put the vehicle into reverse it will use the lower camera.

• Robert Klasson

September 2, 2021 at 1:17 am

I wonder if it would be possible to merge all the rear view cameras for a virtual view that sees through the car.

• Kenneth Bolinsky

September 2, 2021 at 6:52 am

Yes, all Apteras will have a rearview camera/screen system in place of a standard rearview mirror. The image on the left shows the rearview camera location at the top of the hatch: The center red diamond is the high-mounted brake light while the two black diamonds on either side are camera/sensor locations. The image on the right shows the backup camera location, below the license plate.

• Philip Raymond

September 2, 2021 at 11:28 am

In addition to the back up camera, Aptera should also have a reverse-automatic-braking (RAB) as standard. Most cars, trucks and SUV’s made today have this feature, although it is only an option on some. RAB uses a set of small radar sensors (usually 4 of them) across the rear bumper. It will automatically brake at any reverse speed under 15 mph to avoid an object, if you don’t brake first.

• Kenneth Bolinsky

September 2, 2021 at 6:49 am

The primary role of the “backup camera” is to prevent “backover”: Because they are mounted low – usually above or below the license plate – they allow the driver to see children, pets or other obstacles that would otherwise be below the view of the rearview mirror.

• Pistonboy

September 2, 2021 at 2:50 pm

If they have two separate cameras, with one at the top of the hatch, that would be excellent, and the best way to do it.

However, I know Aptera wants to keep the weight down and the design as simple as possible. Using one camera for both functions would do this.

We will not know until confirmed by Aptera management. There are a lot of details like this.

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now