Front license plate placement and impact on drag coefficient

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Front license plate placement and impact on drag coefficient

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Front license plate placement and impact on drag coefficient

• Front license plate placement and impact on drag coefficient

Oz Man updated 4 weeks, 1 day ago 7 Members · 11 Posts
  • Nazhi Hamdan

November 7, 2021 at 10:14 am

A slick, very efficient design! But where does the front license plate fit in? How will it inpact aerodynamics?

• Joshua Rosen

November 7, 2021 at 10:27 am

How many states require a front plate for autocycles? The Aptera is technically not a car, it’s classified as a motorcycle or and autocycle so the rules are different. Motorcycle plates are smaller than car plates so it shouldn’t be hard to find a place for them in states where they are required.

BTW I looked up the requirement for my state, Mass. Cars require front and back plates, motorcycles only require a single plate.

• Curtis Cibinel

November 7, 2021 at 10:31 am

Yep this is another good reason that they should stick to 3 wheel for future 4-5 seat vehicles. Staying away from the need for a front plate is huge for aerodynamics. I don’t think I’ve seen a front plate on a motorcycle in any country/state.

• Nazhi Hamdan

November 7, 2021 at 11:07 am

Well, time will tell what mother Germany has to say about it being a motorcycle 😅

• Paul Kirchner

November 7, 2021 at 12:15 pm

So strange, I came here right now to ask the same question.

• my_discord_number_is_0328 bloody stupid

November 7, 2021 at 12:53 pm

aptera front end can be transparent non reflective plastic or something so front lisence plate can sit in it (b/c front lisence plate is required legally in some places). It can be tinted to lower solar heat buildup. Anti condensation fan for headlights venting can be piped to this area to keep it visible from outside. It just need to not melt in heat. Maybe make inner workings apparent as aesthetic, owner wraps over it if he wants it only showing plate.

• Davis Edwards

November 8, 2021 at 7:34 am

Definitely, a bridge to cross when we get to the 4-wheeled Aptera. The majority of states require front plates and this is something that I thought of first being addressed in the UK/Europe and I see already in the states with Tesla.

Stickers!

• Oz Man

November 8, 2021 at 9:15 am

Davis, The Aptera is considered a motorcycle in most states, and in a few an autocycle. Your map is for vehicles classified as automobiles. most, if not all, US states do not require a front plate for these. (Your mileage may vary, check your local state regulations for details.)

• Curtis Cibinel

November 8, 2021 at 9:38 am

He said “when we get to the 4-wheeled Aptera“. A 4 wheeled aptera would not be an “autocycle”

• Oz Man

November 8, 2021 at 10:39 am

Curtis/Davis, You’re right, sorry, I missed that. I would think, when the 4 wheel version comes around, that since most states require a front plate, Aptera will incorporate that into it’s aerodynamics for that version.

• Davis Edwards

November 8, 2021 at 9:47 am

Thanks, Curtis! I live in the South so the plate issue doesn’t matter to me, but I’ve heard that a 4-wheeled vehicle is a future goal for the company. Oz, you are correct about my map, sorry it can be confusing without reading the context.

Viewing 1 - 8 of 8 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now