From Japan, an underdeveloped EV country

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions From Japan, an underdeveloped EV country

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions From Japan, an underdeveloped EV country

• From Japan, an underdeveloped EV country

John Belmonte updated 1 month ago 7 Members · 13 Posts
  • MITSUYA ENDO

August 20, 2021 at 2:12 pm

Everyone in the world. Good evening. Good morning. Hello.

I live in Japan, an underdeveloped country of EVs. I am fascinated by APTERA’s innovation and cool design. It’s exciting to think that there are friends all over the world who feel the same thing. This is an interesting question, but I would like to know the nationality and the number of people who have invested in APTERA. At least around me, even TESLA is not well recognized and I’m lonely.

• Jesthorbjorn

August 20, 2021 at 2:44 pm

Your best bet is probably to look at the reservation holder map that another member is advocating for in these forums. Probably less than 10% reservation holders are on there and that is reservation holders, not investors, but I would expect the distribution to be similar.

• MITSUYA ENDO

August 20, 2021 at 3:02 pm

Are there any readers of this post who live in Asian countries?

It is encouraging to just say “I’m in (Asia) XX country!”

• Joshua Rosen

August 23, 2021 at 5:53 am

Do you see any imported EVs in Japan? In addition to Japan’s reputation for being very unreceptive to American cars there will the additional challenge of charging standard. Japan is mostly CHADeMO which is dead in the West, the US uses CCS1 and Tesla and the EU uses CCS2. Aptera will start with an American standard, probably CCS1 and then do the EU CCS2 variant which mostly involves a different physical connector, the electronics are the same. CHADeMO would involve supporting a different protocol. I doubt they would want to do the work unless they saw a large market in Japan and the history of American brands there doesn’t make it a promising market. The other problem they will have is that the car is very very wide. That’s not much of an issue in the US, the land of giant pickup trucks, but it will be in both the EU and in Asia where the streets are narrower. Is CCS, in either form, supported in Japan?

• MITSUYA ENDO

August 23, 2021 at 6:33 am

Good morning. birosen. Your comment is at the heart of the matter. Currently, I see Model 3 and PEUGEOT “occasionally” in my living area. In particular, Model 3 seems to have increased domestic sales since the price cut in February. The point that “American cars are not accepted in Japan” is due to the Japanese belief that “legacy makers such as GM and FORD are inferior to Japanese makers” in addition to the sense of size you pointed out. But when it comes to EVs, the position is reversed. After all, it is true that pickup trucks are difficult to use in practical use, but if it is a sedan or SUV of mid size or smaller, there is room for entry into the market “now”. As for the charging standard, as you pointed out, Japan is becoming a galapagos. However, as with Tesla, we are dealing with it with an additional adapter. I have a solar panel and a storage battery installed at home, and I have confirmed that a dedicated charger can be installed with TESLA.

In any case, the ideal form of EV for me is APTERA.

• Joshua Rosen

August 23, 2021 at 10:19 am

If you can buy a Model 3 in Japan then you should get a Model 3. I have one and it’s the best car I’ve ever owned. It will be a couple of years before Aptera can export anywhere let alone Japan. They haven’t started production in the US yet, they want to do it by the end of this year but If I had to guess it won’t be until the middle of next year. Even huge companies take a year and half to two years before they start exporting a new car, somethings it’s a little quicker I think VW started shipping ID.4s to the US about 6 months after they started to ship them in Europe. Exporting means having to meet the regulatory requirements of the target country that’s expensive even for a standard vehicle let alone something as quirky as the Aptera. In addition to all of the regulatory hurdles you also have the issue of right hand drive vs left hand drive. The US, EU and China are left hand drive which will make it easier for Aptera to export to the EU with only minor changes such as the tail lights. For RHD countries like the UK, Australia and Japan they will have to move the steering wheel so those regions are going to be on the bottom of the priority list.

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now