Friends and family reaction to Aptera. Do you have a story?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Friends and family reaction to Aptera. Do you have a story?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Friends and family reaction to Aptera. Do you have a story?

• Friends and family reaction to Aptera. Do you have a story?

Bryan Bowes updated 3 weeks, 1 day ago 15 Members · 22 Posts
  • Llewellyn Evans

September 25, 2021 at 3:59 pm

When I booked my Aptera, I told my wife that I will get a new car in the next couple of years ….. and gave no further details. Then today I 3d printed an Aptera and asked her to clean up the model for me. She held it up and said “Is this a space ship?” ……. I can’t wait for it to arrive.😉

• Leonard Nowak

September 25, 2021 at 4:10 pm

Nice!

Oh…. Out of the mouth of wives….😉

• Llewellyn Evans

September 25, 2021 at 4:16 pm

I love your print. Where did the support material go? I always have a devil of a time getting rid of it in resin prints.

• Klaus Schröder

October 3, 2021 at 4:01 am

I love your print too! Where can I find the print-file?

I’m waiting for a European version….so I will print 3D models for friends an Family.

• kerbe2705

September 25, 2021 at 4:29 pm

Great story! My friends, mostly, put up with my nattering-on about Aptera but my favorite comment came from one of my long-retired grad school profs: “It certainly LOOKS like something you’d drive…” 😆

• Henry Kitt

September 25, 2021 at 5:04 pm

To put it simply, the reactions are VERY strong, moreso than with any car ever. Alot of people still have no interest in buying one because of the 2 seats (which will be fixed with the next vehicle) and because of safety concerns (they don’t trust that’s its one of the safest vehicles there is), but everyone thinks it’s cool for sure.

• John Malcom

September 25, 2021 at 5:18 pm

From my oldest daughter “Is that the thing on the back of your t shirt?”

• Heidi Strayer

September 26, 2021 at 5:57 am

I mentioned during a family zoom that the Aptera was back and I’d plunked down a deposit on one. I can’t say anyone in my family was surprised, it’s par for the course for me. We pulled up photos from the Aptera website and I was happy that my dad pepped up and asked me a myriad of technical questions concerning the car. Then he asked when I thought I’d get mine. ” I’m hoping third or fourth quarter 2022″, I replied. He then said wistfully, “I’d sure like to be able to take a ride in it.” At that point there was silence, all of us scrambling to come up with an appropriate response. You see, dad has advanced stage Pancreatic cancer that he’s been fighting for close to a year now, and unfortunately slowly but surely losing. We’re hoping for one last Christmas with him.

My sister quickly changed the topic, and we signed off shortly after that. I’m sure all of us had a good cry afterwards. I’m careful not to mention the car anymore in family gatherings. It’s just too painful for everyone involved at this point.

• kerbe2705

September 26, 2021 at 8:40 am

Speaking as someone who’s been living with cancer for the past 5.5 years, my experience throughout the ordeal has been that the most difficult aspect has been having to deal with the pain, fear and anxiety of others: For me it’s just how life happens to be – and I get on with it. Please understand that having hopes and dreams and goals is a very human and natural thing: If your Dad wants to hope that he’ll get to ride with you in your Aptera then, by heaven, support his dream! Sharing your excitement about the vehicle may very well be just the shot-in-the-arm he needs to find the energy, strength and will to make it through another day.

• Leonard Nowak

September 26, 2021 at 10:18 am

❤… I am not sure if “dad” is mobile and close enough to San Diego but… On their website go to CONTACT US there is a option to request a visit. I trust they can make a dream come true, even if it is just a parking lot ride! Just a thought💭? They talked about hopefully creating a virtual ride “at some point too????

• Llewellyn Evans

September 26, 2021 at 4:39 pm

Hi Heidi, I a so sorry your dad is unwell.Can somebody please ask a contact at Aptera?I would love to see an update from Aptera with Chris taking Heidi’s dad for a ride and a chat in the car.

It would warm my heart.

• GLENN ZAJIC

September 26, 2021 at 5:23 pm

Heidi, Wishing the best for you and your dad. There are a lot of good people on this forum. I am sure that if this wish isn’t accomplished by the company, most certainly an early recipient would be willing to make some accommodations. My reserve #is 19978 so I do not expect mine till 3rd or 4th quarter of ’22 either. If something hasn’t happened before that and your number is higher I would switch with you. Keep us posted.

• Oz Man

September 26, 2021 at 5:55 pm

Glenn, Heidi is in the first 20 orders, she was up early, like me.

• Heidi Strayer

September 28, 2021 at 3:32 pm

Thanks everyone for your kind wishes. Kenneth, I am in awe of your strength. Fortunately my dad is surprisingly having very little pain but is very weak with minimal mobility (he can still move from one room to the next but then needs to rest.). He only has the strength for short car rides now, mostly to and from doctor visits. The trip from LA to San Diego would not be possible.

I want to wait my turn for my Aptera like everyone else. As Llewellyn states, I have a pretty early number anyway. If I did anything else, my genius dad would become highly suspicious; he does not like special treatment because he is sick.

Dad’s gotten to watch several of the Aptera videos and with his fantastic imagination, he’s a retired astrophysicist after all, can imagine what it’s like to ride in one.

Cancer Sucks!

• Christopher May

September 26, 2021 at 8:22 am

Meeting up with the family for the first time since covid started, this Thanksgiving. So of course I teased my mom with getting a new car a few days ago, but I wouldn’t tell her what it was.

After a few wrong guesses, she went with a magic carpet…. To which I said, that was metaphorically the closest guess so far. We’ll see how that goes. 😛

• Leonard Nowak

September 26, 2021 at 10:05 am

Well at least it will deserve a RED CARPET (special spot) in the sun!

• David Marlow

September 26, 2021 at 12:45 pm

My wife and I respect each others wishes even if we have opposite opinions. The best example is our choices in vehicles. She loves her yellow AWD Jeep, she can sit up high and not worry about getting stuck in the snow. She thinks the Aptera is ugly and is too low for her to get in and out of easily. I was able to get her to compromises some by getting the model that gets the best gas mileage. I currently have a 2011 Volt, that she will begrudgingly ride in.

I think that she will learn to at least apricate the economy of the Aptera and might even get her to ride in it.

• Scott Price

September 28, 2021 at 10:39 pm

It definitely generates a lot of “wows”, “that’s cool”, and an interest to learn more since they at first are not quite sure what it is. The only negative reactions so far from some folks have been regarding having only 2 seats and having partially blocked views out the side windows. Many folks are intrigued by the look, the range, the solar charging, and how unique it is. My pre-teen daughter really wants me to buy one (more so than my wife) since my daughter wants me to drive her to school and other events in it. Aptera apparently has the pre-teen stamp of approval for a “see and be seen” car. 😎

• Tim Tierney

September 29, 2021 at 7:26 pm

Interesting… My son told me that it would be a great car to have for us. Quick trips to the store, or out to eat. We are a family of two, so it makes sense. This car works great for singles, or a single and son/daughter. We could go to the grocery, stock up and go home and be in great shape.

Also going to the vet with a dog.

I think the only time we might really need four/five seats would be on a trip or larger family to a restaurant.

I have had an SUV for years! It’s been my go to. Aptera made me realize that I don’t use that extra space, and why do I have it?!

• Richard Lutz

September 30, 2021 at 9:42 am

Funny, my12 year old daughter is the exact opposite, she doesn’t want me taking her to school or anywhere else in “That ugly car”. She has come to accept that her dad likes EVs and efficiency, but she wants it to look conformist. Until Aptera was resurrected, we where looking at replacing my aging Civic with a Honda Clarity or possibly another full EV.

• Llewellyn Evans

September 30, 2021 at 3:20 pm

Don’t worry. 12 year old daughters can be super harsh. She will grow out of it …..and will probably want the car when she is old enough to drive and has no money for gas. 😂

• Bryan Bowes

October 4, 2021 at 9:24 am

“That looks like something you Enneagram 4’s would buy.”

“Oh I can’t be seen with you in that.”

“You won’t drive that for real will you?”

“That won’t fit in your garage.”

“Why would you want that? Are you sure you want all that attention?”

Then I tell her the stock has done a 16x and aren’t even selling cars yet….

“This looks like a nice car!”

Viewing 1 - 10 of 10 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now