Friendly Competition

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Friendly Competition

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Friendly Competition

• Friendly Competition

Fanfare 100 updated 2 weeks, 1 day ago 4 Members · 4 Posts
  • Philip Raymond

October 11, 2021 at 12:44 am

This is a recent video about the Sonos Sion, in my opinion, the most honest and revealing video yet.. The Sion and the Aptera are 180 degrees opposite in their market attraction, but they do share the solar powering advocacy cred. My reason for posting this are twofold. One, just to expose a very good video on the competition and two, use this as a target for the future 4 wheeled Apteras, as in make this idea much better. Like it or not, assuming the Sion makes it to production, it will appeal to those who just want an eco-friendly way to get from point A to point B and there are a lot of consumers who fit this profile and could care less about performance. Just on this platform, I believe they may be successful, but Aptera can and should do much better! The first thing Aptera should do for the first 4 wheel vehicle, is to make it an SUV, not a sedan, SUV’s are simply much more in demand. Here’s the link to it…..

https://youtu.be/39zhPGL7CfA

• Joshua Rosen

October 11, 2021 at 9:02 am

I wonder if the solar panels on the sides of the Sion are doing much. By definition at least one side of the car is always facing away from the sun, if the sun is in front, back or directly overhead then both sides are getting nothing. Seems like a waste of money putting solar panes on the sides.

• John Malcom

October 11, 2021 at 9:22 am

Yes, should be “Intuitive obvious to the casual observer” Waste of development and production funds and also wasted cost for the owner. Depending on how the cells in the arrays are connected (Serial or parallel) waste could be much higher. (In serial, a partially shaded cell will reduce the whole array to the output of the lowest cell). Diodes used to remedy this issue but none mentioned in any of the collateral.

Certainly wasted in most of Europe where the weather is not good enough to make such a feature productive. Perhaps in South France, Spain, Italy πŸ˜‰

• Fanfare 100

October 11, 2021 at 10:52 am

Yes, agree, that probably at least 1/3 of solar panels will practically be sitting idle. Although here’s a consideration. With solar panels on the roof only they were not able to charge up to 40 km. But when they put solar panels in all the places then they could, at the expense of sacrificing the panels wherein the sun is not.

A couple of years ago that would have seemed very wasteful, but the cost of flex panels has come down to pretty much dirt cheap nowadays and will continue to do so. So it’s no longer a cost-driver.

And in this vehicle, as with the Aptera, the individual solar cells/panels are clearly visible but what I anticipate which may ultimately happen is that the wrap itself will be one large array of solar microcells. i.e. ala https://www.vox.com/2016/6/23/11998908/ultra-thin-solar-cells

And then, within only a few years of that, the use of photovoltaic paint, once that too has reached its proper maturity level. These PV-cells will be so darn cheap that the whole wrap gets placed on the vehicles and then simply disable the ones where a cut had to be made for the vehicle’s angles, but what it will be able to do is afford yet even more surface area from which to obtain and transform energy for storage.

β€œThe least efficient place to put solar is on the car.”
      –Elon Musk, 2017 (who’l likely eating or soon to be eating those words up. lol)

IMHO, to me at least, it seems, the future is looking mighty bright! 😎 🌞 🌻

What this all means is that, with the right to repair as well as with newer models the Aptera, with how batteries and solar is evolving, will likely be able to charge at least 60 miles per day on a future full-solar package. And expect that range to go up by another 30% on the batteries too, for the same amount of weight and form/fit factor.

I can’t wait!

Viewing 1 - 2 of 2 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now