Forums/discussion boards technology

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Forums/discussion boards technology

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Forums/discussion boards technology

• Forums/discussion boards technology

• Volker Schöch

November 4, 2021 at 7:52 am

I was very happy when Aptera announced a re-launch of their website, particularly because the discussion boards were basically unusable before. Now we have the new version, and I have to say, I am disappointed.

If you assume that discussion boards are trivial to implement, the Aptera forums prove you wrong. I agree that some considerable progress has been made over the last version of this website, but it’s still far from being inviting and encouraging to use. That’s particularly sad, because some great off-the-shelf solutions exist. I know it’s probably in vain, but let me suggest a discussions platform for the next re-launch:

https://www.discourse.org/

It is very impressive how much thought has gone, and still goes, into that software, and it makes a huge difference for the community it helps to create. If you want to learn more about how Discourse is different and why that is important, I recommend reading some of Jeff’s blog articles or watching some of his talks:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=jeff+atwood+discourse

Most importantly, it “just works”. Unfortunately, that cannot be said for the Aptera forums, as of today. They are slow and cumbersome to use, and I keep getting different flavors or error messages while using it, like: function(e,t){return new S.fn.init(e,t)}function(e,t){return new S.fn.init(e,t)}

Why are you wasting your scarce resources into reinventing the wheel? Discussion boards are far from your core business. Why not use some tried and proven solution?

(Full disclosure: I am not associated with Discourse at all, but I was part of a team the migrated an existing forum with tens of thousands of users and hundreds of thousands of posts from phpBB to Discourse. We did not regret it for a second.)

• Volker Schöch

November 10, 2021 at 6:50 am

See related discussion here:

Forum improvements

Viewing 1 - 2 of 2 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now