Forum Member Diversity

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Forum Member Diversity

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Forum Member Diversity

• Forum Member Diversity

Ray Holan updated 1 month, 2 weeks ago 11 Members · 21 Posts
  • Lou Verner

October 17, 2021 at 5:43 pm

Has anyone else noticed that those actively participating in the various Aptera Discussions are almost exclusively middle-aged to self-identified old white guys (guilty as charged!)? Other than “Riley”, who may or may not be, I am not aware of any female or non-White participants. This is surprising to me and wonder if it known and acknowledged to be an issue of concern to management. I appreciate that management does in fact reflect more generous diversity and Aptera advertising does often show as many women as men. Any insights as to the reason why we are embarrassingly close to an old white boys club would be welcome!

• Dan Roberts

October 17, 2021 at 6:02 pm

Lou I’m not sure the planet cares much about diversity. If its the old white guys that are the trailblazers for cleaner transportation I don’t think it should matter. Cleaner air is cleaner air. Besides I know as a OWG I have done my fair share of polluting so I don’t mind putting out a few extra bucks to make a difference. I think women in general are more practical than us guys. Give them wheels that are reliable, safe, and have some character and I think most are happy. Let’s here it ladies.

I have notice that Aptera uses young perky females in their ads. Maybe because they are more attractive to OWGs and they know that is their market.

• my_discord_number_is_0328 bloody stupid

October 17, 2021 at 8:03 pm

im betting its also b/c aptera is aesthetic car more than a drivers car b/c electric power steering and being so wide. abstract appeals appeal more to whamen and guys tend to like spatial stuff like athletics. but i think most guys nowdays would be fine with aptera over lotus elise or some v8 b/c almost noone knows how to drive manual anymore and electric power steering only recently has been much interactive, plus programmable fake engine sound is enough for recent generation, who is almost if not totally more influenced by internet electronics than real life and where almost all cars dont sound the same rather big displacement naturally aspirated or even supercharged anymore. even 90s honda vtec had something to it you dont see anymore. also we’re less athletic and lot lazier than we used to be by a lot. a couple highschool teachers say they can see the difference between even as recent as average 2005 young adults vs todays ones.

• my_discord_number_is_0328 bloody stupid

October 17, 2021 at 6:11 pm

doesnt matter haha. if it makes you happy, theres a brown college boy on here. lol.

• Sarah

Administrator
    October 17, 2021 at 7:02 pm

Hi Lou, thank you for this post. Diversity and inclusiveness is important to me personally as our CMO and to Aptera’s leadership. Our team and our fans span all ages and walks of life, and that’s something that I’m proud of. While most auto manufacturers focus on marketing to a specific demographic, our goal is to attract people who share our same values and commitment to making the world a better place. I am enthusiastic about bringing more diversity to our forum and our community. We have an Aptera Ambassador who is working on this goal right now. If you are interested in helping out, we’d be grateful for your support! You can email us at ambassador@aptera.us. Hope to hear from you!

• Lou Verner

October 17, 2021 at 8:53 pm

Thanks for the invitation, Sarah…I’ll follow up with you soon!

• John Malcom

October 17, 2021 at 9:16 pm

So, I guess I am one of the “Identified” old white guys. However, I have a very diverse family. I have three adopted children, A PRC Chinese daughter, A Russian daughter, and an Syrian son. It is OK to be an old white guy as it is OK to be anything else.

Remember, if we are over 40 we are a part of a protected class too 😀

• Lou Verner

October 18, 2021 at 4:36 am

John, of course it’s OK to be an OWG. I came into the community as a retired ecologist immediately drawn to Aptera’s obvious ecological benefits but understandably skeptical and leery of its engineering and viability as a very low-budget enterprise. Your contributions, coming from a lifelong career as both an engineer and systems/project manager, have been particularly invaluable in convincing me to become an investor and make my reservation. After a month of enjoying and learning from the many savvy forum contributors, it just hit me that it was disproportionately OWGs sharing their insights. Not a criticism – just an observation in search of an explanation. Perhaps it’s as simple as the fact that we’re the ones with the luxury of having the time to do so! Bottom line is my belief in Aptera’s mission and viability has risen to the point of upping my investment to the $10K level today!

• Fanfare 100

October 17, 2021 at 8:34 pm

Personally, I’m proud to be a brown Heinz 57 sauce on here. And I recollect recently having participated in this community forum with two very technical women.

That said, perhaps there should be more.

I believe the barrier might diminish if Aptera were to also offer a Lease program or partner with an enterprise which might facilitate the such.

The minimum base MSRP of $25,900, though it is a step in the proper direction, may still be considered as a barrier to many on the minority side of the spectrum. It is also known that women in general do not get compensated in the same manner as do men for the same amount of work or qualifications. And then there is the matter of obtaining the qualifications in the first place and how advantageous their position is in having the same degree of opportunity. The same goes for minorities, to in include the ability to begin already at an economic position of more privilege and means.

At least at this level we begin to see a bit more welcomed inclusivity.

BTW, both my dad as well as I have each made our reservations.

If all goes well with my campaign a friend of mine who is also brown will be amongst the lucky reservationists.

Lou, you made a keen observation on a touchy subject that many consider to be the third rail.

Now, a bit of this could also be alleviated if Aptera were to focus some of it marketing to people living in apartments without access to a place where they may be able to plug into overnight. That would likely propitiate more diversity given that home-ownership is also a demographic which leans in the direction of your observation as well.

If the appeal were to be monetary as in not having to visit a charging station weekly for everyday commuting purposes simply because there is no place afforded by landlords for apartment-dwellers to plug in, and yet that by the Aptera sitting in the sunny parking lot, it would be plugged into the sun, that is no longer only a matter of convenience but one that helps the pocketbook too! All of these factors would be appealing beyond that of the surfing and camping crowd.

I personally plan to use my Aptera, for business and for pleasure, for daily commutes, for shopping, for going to the beach and the park, for camping and for going in long cross-country business trips! And yes, I did reserve the off-road and camping packages. 😀

• Lou Verner

October 17, 2021 at 9:06 pm

Thanks Fanfare 100! More than happy to be be wrong in my perception and clearly monikers are color blind. That said, I agree with you completely that Aptera’s simplicity of design, solar charging and price point should make it uniquely appealing and accessible to a broad spectrum of urban dwellers of all flavors who might not otherwise have the wherewithal to own/charge an EV. Part of the point I was hoping to make. Aptera can/should be a “people’s car” for our time!

• Ray Holan

October 18, 2021 at 5:37 am

Hi, Lou. Thanks for kicking off this thread by posing the question of diversity. To me, even though I’m an OWG, it’s a question of widening the appeal of Aptera. Wider appeal I think benefits everyone as more sales leads to more R&D resources which leads to better future Apteras. Glad we’ve got a bit of racial and gender diversity already.

Nothing wrong with a bunch of OWG buyers. Broadening the appeal and easing the entry into ownership with a lease program would be icing on the cake.

• Lou Verner

October 18, 2021 at 5:44 am

As we used to say when we were young…Right On!

• Ray Holan

October 18, 2021 at 8:27 am

You bet, Lou. The 60’s were good to me and I can even remember some of them!

• Michael Rennick

October 18, 2021 at 5:45 am

Lou, it has been noticed. I am one of the brand ambassadors and we are starting an initiative to reach out to a number of organizations to see if we can address this diversity question. Just looking at the ambassador ranks, as an example, we are over 90% male.

The groups that will be the initial focus are Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE), National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE), Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE) and Society of Women Engineers (SWE). I have been lucky enough to work with each of these organizations in one form or another throughout my engineering career. They are reputable and long lasting orgs. The intent is to offer to discuss Aptera’s mission with them and to see if we can recruit some student to join the ambassador

Why focus on students and these organizations? I think the Aptera could be a great first car for a college graduate. They can use a reasonably priced, low maintenance, hyper efficient two seater with lots of cargo space. Seems like a great area to build interest. The organizations above cover a wide spectrum of backgrounds. Hopefully that will help us grow interest in a wider spectrum of folks.

• Joshua Rosen

October 18, 2021 at 7:36 am

Forum demographics isn’t necessarily representative of reservation demographics, it’s more likely just reflects who uses forums vs other kinds of social media. I reluctantly went to forums when Usenet died, I’ve never used Twitter, Instagram, Tik Tok or even Facebook and I suspect I’m not alone. Older people like forums, younger people use other platforms. There is also a generational difference in the importance of cars, Boomers are keenly interested in cars, supposedly Millennials couldn’t care less.

• Ricky Camacho

October 18, 2021 at 7:47 am

hi guys age 36, Puertorican Living in texas here! love Aptera and the mission.Also, love you all guys.XD

• Ray Holan

October 18, 2021 at 8:30 am

Hey there, Ricky. Great to hear from the Lone Star state and hear a PR voice as well. Who knows? Aptera may follow in the tech migration pattern of Oracle, HP, and Tesla and end up in your backyard;)

• Morris Wilder

October 18, 2021 at 9:00 am

Yes, I think there are a quite a few of us here who do not identify as WGs, keep up with forum discussions and interact at times. I purposefully left out the “O” due to not seeing 50ish as old 😁.

• Ray Holan

October 19, 2021 at 4:58 am

Hi, Morris. Yes, the age thing can divide us quickly. Based on the comments in this thread and others on the Forum, it’s clear Aptera appeals to a wide swath of age groups. Glad it’s a big tent and there’s room for all of us.

I was intrigued with the question of “what does an apartment or condo dweller do?” when it comes to charging. Being a homeowner for many years, I had forgotten about that segment. Some creativity will be needed to come up with a solution for that scenario. I can’t see a 200 ft. extension cord being draped from the 3rd story window of an apartment building. I imagine those buildings with a parking garage have some provision, however limited, to at least plug into a 110V outlet.

Viewing 1 - 11 of 11 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now