Ford & Purdue University – Improved Charging Speed

Aptera Community Solar EV Industry News Ford & Purdue University – Improved Charging Speed

Aptera Community Solar EV Industry News Ford & Purdue University – Improved Charging Speed

• Ford & Purdue University – Improved Charging Speed

• Ronster

November 12, 2021 at 8:40 am

In a collaborative effort, Ford & Purdue University may have solved EV’s major charging speed problem; patents filed.

5 minute charging; read further:

https://www.reviewgeek.com/102908/ford-and-purdue-university-solved-the-biggest-problem-with-electric-vehicles/

• Joshua Rosen

November 12, 2021 at 9:00 am

They solved the wrong part of the problem. Cables don’t need to carry any more current than they do now. Superchargers can deliver 250KW @ 400V, if you were to double the voltage to 800, as the top end CCS chargers do, that would be 500KW. Even at 250KW if you could maintain that level while putting in 50KWh that would take 12 minutes which is actually too fast, it’s not enough time to go to the bathroom. Supercharger stops take less time than gas stops because you charge and go to the bathroom at the same time. With gas you have to fill up, move your car and then go to the bathroom. The time to fill a tank is in series with the time it takes to go to the bathroom.

People who don’t own EVs are comparing the time it takes for the weekly trip to the gas station with the time it takes to fully charge an EV. EVs are charged at home, there is no weekly trip to the gas station, the time to plug in your car and then unplug it is at most 30 seconds a day, 15 seconds to plug it in and 15 seconds to unplug it, vs having to drive to and from a gas station plus the time it takes to fill the tank. On a road trip you combine charging with bathroom and snack breaks, you also never charge the car to full, you charge enough to get to your next stop.

The problem that needs to be solved is maintaining a fast charging rate through most of the charging curve. Peak charging speeds don’t matter, what matters is average charging speeds.

• G Johns

November 12, 2021 at 9:19 am

Over the next ten years and ongoing, battery innovation is going to be substantial. Whatever battery you get in the Aptera will probably be close to an older style. It will work just as you expected it to, just be an older proven technology. Who knows maybe the base Aptera 10 years from now will go 1500 miles between charges and be 400 lbs lighter. I’m not waiting. I want the first model. Inspired, designed, and built by American’s even if the Chinese have a better cheaper model.

• Ronster

November 12, 2021 at 9:51 am

I’m committed to two fully loaded, fully optioned, fully accessorized; maxxed out Apterae.

I agree with you. I’m a huge fan. I’m also invested and plan to invest more.

I love everything about Aptera for a number of reasons including shape, solar, range, composites, its “simplicity by design” & vision. There’s nothing on the market that matches it. It will be a DISRUPTOR.

It’s certainly not a “me too” and I like that.

Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now