Floor Coverings

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Floor Coverings

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Floor Coverings

• Floor Coverings

Posted by Duozen on August 21, 2021 at 10:02 am

I want Aptera to be the first car manufacturer to implement a rubber flooring with optional carpets. This way you eliminate the dirt and grim and musky odors that get trapped in the glued on carpeting by being able to remove the carpeting and get them thoroughly washed and being able to also properly wash the flooring inside the vehicle.

• This discussion was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by  John Trotter. Reason: title expanded for search clarity
    • This discussion was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by  bbelcamino.
    daniel-thompson replied 7 months, 4 weeks ago 24 Members · 33 Replies
  • 33 Replies
  • Floor Coverings

daniel-thompson updated 7 months, 4 weeks ago 24 Members · 33 Replies
  • john-malcom

August 21, 2021 at 11:24 am

Please leave that approach for the jeep/Broncos nation. I keep my interior clean and use mats if needed. I like my carpet. There is a reason manufactures install carpet rather than rubber flooring. Most buyers want that

• Duozen

August 21, 2021 at 1:39 pm

Does not prevent you from having your carpet, it should be an OPTION.

• RajGiandeep

August 21, 2021 at 2:21 pm

I like the rubber floor mats personally. Go to a pressure car wash, spray them down, clean again.

• fanfare-100

August 21, 2021 at 6:33 pm

Thank you for your awesome contribution! That might not be a bad idea at all, given that I have chosen the off-road package, and the camping package as well, meaning that indeed it will be in the Jeep/Bronco category. BRILLIANT! No matter how much I shampoo the rug, simply being able to pull the rug out and washing it independently would be so convenient. Or simply not use the rug when I know I’ll be going into the woods with it. So many valuable great thinkers on this forum!!

• george-hughes

August 22, 2021 at 2:17 pm

Why not just have Aptera get witih Weathertech and have some custom floor mats manufactured and just offer them as an option. These are the kinds of floor mats that actually go up the sides of the footwell and are designed to keep the carpets underneath perfect without concern for spills, etc.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
    September 5, 2021 at 11:22 pm

Weathertech covers everything, they just need the floor specs to laser measure coverage. A paid trip to San Diego for a Weathertech rep to laser measure the Aptera cabin would be money well spent. Unlike most, Weathertech is not just mats, they cover the whole floor area, including the drivetrain area in legacy ice vehicles. They are also very easy to clean and made in the U.S.

• richard-garlick

September 6, 2021 at 4:36 am

I fired off an email to weathertech this morning Asking them to reach out to Sarah Handwick / Pablo Ucar so she or he could direct a laser measurement expert to coordinate with the interior designer of the final Production spec aptera cabin and trunk. I did mention that people planned on sleeping in the trunk of their Aptera’s and that pets may be transported back there as well. I mentioned the need for softer materials in the back as a result and I said weight of their solution overall is a consideration. I got a bounce back email saying they would address it during regular business hours Monday morning. FYI

• UnidentifiedDrivingObject

July 20, 2022 at 10:15 am

Paging WeatherTech! Future Aptera owners, will be in need of one..

• len

July 20, 2022 at 11:05 am

I hear ya but aren’t WeatherTech rubber mats, the size the Aptera’s cargo area…. heavy?

Aptera’ payload is 500# . we read once about 200# in the back “for best ride”, (but that was before the suspension enhancements) That just dances in my head…

I never owned a WeatherTech product but … they look durable!

I see aftermarket fold up water proof cargo covers in the $40 range, which I might try just for my

(̂ ˃̥̥̥ ˑ̫ ˂̥̥̥ )̂dog

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Greek

July 20, 2022 at 11:28 am

Len, Weather Tech products are actually light wait. Unfortunately they aren’t that inexpensive. More than likely would be around the $125 range or more for the size that they would need to be. I consider them the foremost company in creating great products for keeping your vehicle clean and organized.

July 20, 2022 at 11:50 am

Len, the WeatherTech liner I use is not necessarily heavy. It is made of TPE (thermo plastic elastomer) and is rubber-like. I find it light for its size to be honest. The thing is so durable.

My current WT trunk liner is actually 22yrs old (!). A hand me down. It was 1st used on my old 2000 German B5 Passat Wagon. When it was traded it in 13yrs later, I kept the liner and to my surprise, the dimensions coincidentally fits to the trunk floor of my 2014 Mazda6 sedan trunk.

Now going to year 23, the thing protects the trunk carpets of both vehicles in like new condition. The liner itself has withstood scratches, rough scuffs, nor damage abrasions. Nothing. Other than the laminated WT emblem was somehow misaligned from its seat, the whole thing looks new. It is one USA Made item on my cars, that is totally indestructible and stood the test of time. LOL

Btw, I have WeatherTech floor liners on my current Mazda6. Same amazing protection to my still new condition factory OEM Mazda carpet mats.

• james-haines

July 21, 2022 at 7:37 pm

Look at a mat called Canvasback…

Have a set in the wife’s 4-runner for years and it is light, easy to clean, and pretty tough. I would rather have this than Weather-tech or other thick rubber.

July 20, 2022 at 11:59 am

John, my WeatherTech costed below $50 IIRC ($45) over 20yrs ago. Even if it’s $125 or more today, if it could last this long (decades, in my use case), I would gladly pay for it. No doubt (USA Made/Jobs Supporter here..for my USA Made Pride & Joy Aptera). 🇺🇸 👍 👍

• kerbe2705

July 20, 2022 at 9:30 pm

@James Gatan I agree – but the company laser-scans the interior of vehicles to design fitted mats, so they won’t be able to create a set until they get their hands on a production Aptera.

The full set for my Honda Clarity PHEV (front, rear and trunk) cost $325, direct from Weathertech – and worth every penny so far!

• Greek

July 21, 2022 at 4:50 am

I live about 10 miles from Weather Tech. I am more than willing to allow them to scan my vehicle. Unfortunately I probably won’t receive my 1st order (1-17-21…16949 400mile) well into 2023. Hopefully someone nearby will receive theirs much earlier than me.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by  John Voules.

July 21, 2022 at 5:21 am

Kerbe, a full Monty set for $325 isn’t bad at all. Mine is really holding up very well. The soon 23yr old trunk liner is virtually indestructible in my use case. No material age degradation at all. Far and away, it’s the best USA.Made product I’ve ever owned.

• owen-harding

July 21, 2022 at 9:59 am

I agree. I have used WeatherTech floor mats for years. Light Weight best driver floor protection for sloppy snowy winters. WeatherTech floor mats would be one of the 1st things(accessories) I would want to purchase for my Aptera. If Aptera put together a winter package that had WeatherTech Floor matts and “3” snow tires, I would probably add that to my purchase. 😀

• paul-niznik

July 21, 2022 at 10:39 am

Not fer nuttin’, but what about a solar trunk liner? A durable solar pad might be nice if you don’t want the rear hatch covered in cells. If it isn’t durable enough, you could make it removable.

• strix0815

August 13, 2022 at 3:29 am

Indeed Paul great idea a snap in solar panel for the Trunk space while we do not need the huge Trunk space for transportation of stuff would be a great add on to increase mileage. I would definitely add this option to my order! 😛

• mark-salyzyn

August 13, 2022 at 11:19 am

My trunk liner will be a 4″ thick sized to fit mattress to go along with the camping option.

• david-macfadyen

May 6, 2023 at 6:27 am

Hi Mark ; I’m researching a self inflate foam mattress . Do you know what the Max size mattress that can fit in an Aptera will be ? Will the the trunk floor be flat ? I’ll probably buy a twin soon – 38 x 75 x4 -Lost Horizon mattress for my Model S. They do make a Model S specific for $100 more. BTW, I have a 30 year old ThermaRest, 1″ thick , single , narrow ; I’ve slept on that in various cars and on floors . David near Toronto Canada

• Sam

August 13, 2022 at 12:04 pm

I’ve used the same sheet of, idk, maybe 2 or 3 ply plastic sheet that more than covers my rear hatch area for 10+ years now. It weighs next to nothing is folded and stored where the spare tire used to be.

• Pistonboy

August 23, 2022 at 4:18 pm

Do you believe we will receive floor mats with our vehicles? If so, do you believe they will be carpet or rubber?

If given a choice, which would you prefer the matts to be: carpet or rubber?

Would you prefer the vehicle floor to be carpet or rubber?

(Come to think of it, does the carpet color change to match the interior color or is it the same color for all interior colors?)

• Greek

August 23, 2022 at 4:31 pm

Carpet all the way…we will be driving in a nice sealed shell.

Imagine carpeting the inside of an egg. I expect the feeling to be refined. I’ll drive 12 miles away to Weather Tech and get liners to protect when needed. Ideally I would prefer any area that can be carpeted to be carpeted.

• tu-nguyen

August 23, 2022 at 8:51 pm

I think rubber would be more sustainable. Anytime it rains or even if it’s just lightly wet outside the water will soak into any type of carpet like material.

• RajGiandeep

August 23, 2022 at 9:22 pm

Last few vehicles I’ve gotten rubber mats. So easy to clean & durable

• kerbe2705

August 23, 2022 at 9:53 pm

@Pistonboy Delux I’m guessing no but, if we do, they will probably be carpet. My choice would be something waterproof, with channels to collect snowmelt, mud, rain, etc. I would prefer the vehicle to be carpeted for its sound-deadening capability. As the primary use of color in the vehicle at this point seems to be upholstery stitching, seat back, seat belts and door pull, I’m guessing they’ll do black flooring – like nearly every other vehicle on the market.

• Kari

August 23, 2022 at 9:54 pm

Yes, please, no carpet. Too hard to clean and can agravate allergies.

• Greek

August 24, 2022 at 8:00 am

Having driven my i3 for 6+ years you will notice that evs are much quieter than ice vehicles in general. In your electric vehicle you will hear more outside noise, your own tires contact with the road and the electric motors making their awesome whining sound. My windows are thinner than most cars ( BMW trying to save weight) and do allow for outside noise to enter more freely.

Carpeting deadens sound to help with a quieter atmosphere, it’s insulation will also help to keep the climate in the vehicle more temperate. Touch your vehicles carpeting in the winter and then touch a rubber or plastic surface…you will find the carpeting not give off that icy feeling. You can alway add plastic or rubber mats to keep the surfaces clean.

I can understand recreational vehicle…suvs, jeeps and other similar vehicles that may go off roading not wanting carpets, but that is truly for a sport that plays in the mud.

• eric-quinn

August 24, 2022 at 8:20 am

I’m getting weather tech mats asap also mat for the trunk area

I hike a lot, pack backs, dirty boots and rainy hikes dirty towels

• Greek

August 24, 2022 at 8:30 am

I wonder if there is anyone else reading this that lives near Chicago. I am 16949 res number 400 mile version, placed my $ early January 2021. My 1st drive will be to Weather Tech, is there anyone else near me that may have an earlier reservation with a possibility for them to get to Weather Tech earlier than me? I believe there are going to be 3-4 thousand orders before me, and I’m sure many will want the extra protection Weather Tech provides.

• daniel-crotty

September 18, 2022 at 10:43 am

I like the Weathertech option if Aptera is not going to do something similar.

On my current car, I have a rubberish cargo tray and mats. The first week after purchase, I went to the grocery store. Loading my goodies into the trunk, a bottle of chocolate milk was cracked and gave way. Milk, much less chocolate, does tend to be something you don’t want in your carpet. I was soo freaking glad to be able to pick that tray up and dump the milk before trying to drive home and do a proper cleaning.

Big proponent of the cargo tray.

I would think that smaller multiples would be an advantage. Flip them over if you want to sleep on them. PASS this on to Weathertech, else I suspect they may just make one big one. This also has the advantage that you don’t have to cover the entire area. On row across the should do in most cases.

The same goes for the foot carpets, especially if you live in snow area. I would think that people around the beach would want them for the same reasons.

• daniel-thompson

September 6, 2023 at 6:09 pm

I would be putting rubber in the car either way. It would be nice if I could recoup the cost of the mats if they are carpet since I will not be using them.

or to reply.