Flood exit

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Flood exit

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Flood exit

• Flood exit

Llewellyn Evans updated 1 month ago 6 Members · 8 Posts
  • Llewellyn Evans

August 25, 2021 at 3:25 pm

I understand the body will be very strong and good in a crash. The windows may be made from glass or Polycarbonate. The side windows roll down half way.

If the car becomes stuck in water for any reason, will it sink or float?

If there is water pressure on the doors and you can’t smash a window because they are made from polycarbonate, how do we exit the vehicle? Water pressure will push the doors shut.

I guess being front heavy, the tail may be in the air. Can we get out the cargo door from inside the car?

• Leonard Nowak

August 25, 2021 at 4:16 pm

Aptera’a CTO Nathan Armstrong said It should float?!

Don’t try that at home😉

• Llewellyn Evans

August 25, 2021 at 8:07 pm

😂 Yep. No way I am trying it at home. I love the look of these cars and the spec is awesome. The utility factor idea for getting the spec right seems to have just the right balance. These things are going to sell themselves.

• Steven G. Bueche

August 25, 2021 at 4:54 pm

I’d go for the rear hatch.

• John Malcom

August 25, 2021 at 9:23 pm

The doors open up not out like conventional car doors. Also, if you keep the glass tool that allows you to break your auto glass in an emergency, (Also comes with a blade to cut your seat belt if it is struck) you should be OK either breaking the windshield or the hatch if not full solar. Not sure how that would work with the hatch covered by solar cells.

I am not worried about getting out of the vehicle in a flood. Probability that I would be in a flood with an Aptera is pretty slim

• James T Pace Pace

August 26, 2021 at 8:05 pm

I do worry about this, since several drowning deaths occur every year on highway 55 along the N Fork of the Payette River, the main road to my town. Cars go into the class 5 rapids, end of story.My SAR unit trains for just that scenario.

Opening the back hatch from the inside could be the only way out. But if that hatch is facing upstream, no dice. And what about if the car is inverted in water?

I hope the Aptera engineers can think through answers to these bad outcomes.

• Llewellyn Evans

August 27, 2021 at 1:22 am

I am sure they are across it.

I LOVE this car!

• George Hughes

August 27, 2021 at 1:18 am

Some cars simply float better than others. The stories of VW Beetles floating in ponds was common 40-50 years ago.

Now anything can happen in a flash flood. A car could be trapped in a culvert or under a fallen tree. But since this kind of accident is prominent in some parts, apparently, ask yourself are VW Beetles under or over represented as the vehicle of victims.

As far as the ‘fly off a bridge scenario,’ your first jolt hitting the water will by definition be more like a spear entering the water than a brick. Apter’s .13 Cd compares not to pretty slick cars with .20 -.29 cd but those with .30 to .40+ are true bricks and are in the majority.

The Aptera is also light and roughly egg shaped with an air-bubble on top and a heavy battery under the seats. Even if you fell off a tall bridge into a bay, the fact that the pressure is being spread pretty evenly over the entire composite monocoque (think motorcycle helmet) body suggests it is that spear and it will right itsself as it bobs to the top.

That would be my expectation although there are definitely limits. I think it is going to be like old Aptera’s six-times roof strength advantage except even better.

What we won’t know, until Aptera is in production and accidents happen, whether it will sink if you’re 20 lbs over maximum weight or if you find yourself in a pond, you ought not open the door and because with only one passenger, if the driver is over 300 lbs, it will capsize.

PS: I think Hollywood will have fun with this feature because, in comparison to other cars, nothing is built like this. That means it can do things other car’s can’t.

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now