flat tow

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions flat tow

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions flat tow

• flat tow

• Michael Jarvis

November 10, 2021 at 11:24 am

I’ve seen only one reply about someone who thought a flat tow option for RVers would be nice to have. I also would like to have the option to flat tow with my RV and can see a great application for the RV community to have the power system tie into the RV bi-directionally. I don’t know the market share demand of this type of hookup option but I do know the RV community grew large during the pandemic!

• Paul Schultz

November 11, 2021 at 6:16 pm

There was a previous post about this topic. The concern is that the hub motors in the front wheels would not do well with flat towing. I suggested a tow dolly to avoid rolling the Aptera’s front drive wheels. Then, if you only have a front-wheel drive Aptera the rear wheel could be rolling on the road. There are some nice light aluminum tow dollies that stand up on end for easier storage. Plus, attaching a tow bar to the front of the Aptera would require some connection points, probably on the suspension, that I am not sure would be ideal.

Paul

• my_discord_number_is_0328 bloody stupid

November 11, 2021 at 8:20 pm

maybe aptera computer can drive teh car to follow the RV, just like it would be programmed to follow another car as a virtual self driving trailer/traincar in the concept of two 2 seaters instead of a single 4 seater as a more functional but lower energy and maintenance cost alternative given most the time people driving alone or with 1 passenger assuming ridesharing happens, and with not much storage space needs, especially given roof storage box can be used for the twice a month presumably large storage needs (grocery, etc). such is repurposed as rental car in future at least for high population density area as probably will be happening in a increasingly compacted future for efficiencies sake, and people are increasingly detached from family or long term relations in general, so the current fact of most travel happening alone will only increase.

• George Hughes

November 11, 2021 at 8:42 pm

I’m not a RV’er but think that a better way to look at this might be a digital/physical hitch that actually allows the Aptera to follow, essentially a ‘tow’ vehicle using its own power. I imagine it like the follow me application on small photo drones where the Aptera would be connected with a chain and an approved ‘special’ hitch that gives it enough play between the tow vehicle and the towed to make the pull smooth. Otherwise, the Aptera uses ‘some of its battery power’ to follow the RV (or other lead vehicle) meaning there is no ‘pull penalty’ for the RV.

Personally, I’d like this functionality become a standard on the Aptera largely because doing so would make it the odds on solution for a standard for light trucks, vehicles and RV’s pulling light self-powered trailers. Heck, you could even have Aptera’s pulling other Aptera’s making an caravan of Apterea.

I suggest that because, with the Aptera’s amazing efficiency, you could take two on your vaca and you will still use fewer KWH of power making the trek than if you used the most efficient five seat EV on the market. Now if you could just stick the kids in the pulled car 🙂

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now