Flat tire

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Flat tire

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Flat tire

• Flat tire

kerbe2705 updated 1 month ago 8 Members · 15 Posts
  • Joey Lao

September 17, 2021 at 5:01 am

Taking into consideration the wheel covers and in wheel motors, how easy or what’s the process if you had to change a flat tire (is there even a spare?)

• Riley -_-

September 17, 2021 at 5:24 am

Aptera hasn’t shown the finnished wheel cover design but they have stated that it will be very easy to remove the covers. The in wheel motors won’t have any affect on the process. There won’t be a spare tire but the wheel and tires will be a standard type that is stocked in most shops.

• George Hughes

September 17, 2021 at 7:20 am

This does raise the question of what kind of wheels?

The possibilities range from the funky steel wheels secured by three nuts like the Citroen 2CV (lightweight vehicle) to styles aluminum or other more exotic designs. Styling would be secondary as the wheels are enclosed fully in fenders for aerodynamics.

I’ve had one flat with a ‘spare-less’ car and ended up driving very slowly on the flat for about a mile to a tire shop. I did that after the spray stuff proved ineffective. Care was taken to allow the wheel ‘survived’ the ordeal but the flat tire was toast. As it was a standard rim size, I got a used replacement at the shop and ordered a new set of tires for the rear axle.

It would obviously have been a more expensive issue if the wheel had been damaged. Which of course, begs the question, what kind of wheels – plain, stamped steel from a Chevy or Ford, or some custom styled light-weight alloy? Which will be standard on the Aptera?

• kerbe2705

September 17, 2021 at 11:12 am

I can’t locate the image but Aptera’s wheels are a lightweight, spoked design with (as I recall) a five-bolt connection. They showed them very early-on and you can see them in any of the videos in which Noir or Sol have the wheel pants and skirt removed.

• Peter Jorgensen

September 17, 2021 at 11:14 am

Here’s what the alphas have. The tire size is shared with a Fiat 500.

• kerbe2705

September 20, 2021 at 2:54 pm

Great find! Sarah just forwarded that same image to me – and said it’s still relevant so I’m guessing these are the wheels we’ll see on the beta prototypes, too.

• kerbe2705

September 21, 2021 at 10:09 pm

Actually, the 2021 Fiat 500e runs on 185/65 R15 tires – Aptera currently uses 195/45 R16 tires.

• kerbe2705

September 20, 2021 at 2:56 pm

George, did you see the wheel image?

• Bob Stevens

September 20, 2021 at 4:30 pm

Speaking of changing a tire. Will their be a jack kit in the vehicle? Including whatever tool(s) needed to remove the wheel covers?

• kerbe2705

September 21, 2021 at 10:17 pm

It’s too soon in the developmental process to have information about tool kits but, as Riley mentioned above, Aptera has said that the wheels will be easy to access. Traditionally, fender skirts on automobiles were held in place with latches or some other sort of locking mechanism that didn’t require a special tool to remove. I suspect we’ll see a removeable panel of some sort on Aptera.

• Richard Lutz

September 22, 2021 at 8:25 am

With no spare tire, which I am fine with, I will be keeping a tire plug kit and a small compressor behind one of the seats. If I get a puncture, I will be OK until I can get to a tire shop. If I damage the sidewall then I will need a flatbed tow-truck anyway. My insurance includes roadside assistance. I have had 2 flats from punctures and a blowout at high speed in the last 10 years, so I would not say a flat is rare. A spare was useful during the blowout, but I am willing to take the risk for the weight savings.

Update, I looked at the FAQ and saw that there will be a 110 AC outlet in the car. With that I would use a small 110 volt compressor rather than some anemic 12v unit.

• kerbe2705

September 22, 2021 at 9:41 am

The majority of new cars sold in the US come with a small compressor and a can of tire gunk in lieu of a spare tire.

• Malcolm Sams

September 22, 2021 at 5:46 pm

I strongly recommend EP Auto tire inflator like I got on Amazon. It’s quiet, and can be programmed. It is 12v, but I’ve had 12v Truck rated pumps from Intermatic- now Campbell Housefield, and this little pump is just as good as those were. The only problem I’ve had is with the screw on tire stem connector. To replace it with a 1/4 locking stem, don’t cut the hose, smush the crimp as flat as possible one way, then open it up, and it will slide right off the rubber hose. It’s much smaller than 120v compressor, and has done the job on truck tires.

I’m very interested to see how the jacking procedure is going to work for the rear tire specifically. I’m not seeing where a shop would be able to use a lift on the Aptera, so we might be changing our tires in the parking lots. I would expect some sort of bottle jack since I can’t see how you could get a scissor jack to work without some engineering Kung fu.

• Bob Stevens

September 22, 2021 at 7:23 pm

A little off subject but I understand that Aptera will have a 5″ clearance on the wheel skirts. A little concerned about speed bumps and large potholes. I cannot find any description of the clearance if the “Off road” package is selected. Does that option create additional drag to the vehicle?

• kerbe2705

September 22, 2021 at 11:53 pm

Remember – the front wheel pants move up and down with the wheels so the “clearance” is, simply, how much of the wheel/tire shows below them when the vehicle is at rest.

I believe they said that, yes, the off-road package would make the vehicle a little less aerodynamic.

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now