What about a Flat tire

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions What about a Flat tire

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions What about a Flat tire

• What about a Flat tire

• Cosme Tome Melendez

October 31, 2021 at 6:54 pm

How to proceed in an event of a flat tire?, Aptera provide a jack and a Flat tire kit?

• my_discord_number_is_0328 bloody stupid

October 31, 2021 at 7:39 pm

air pressure jack using tire inflator? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stzmG_2VQRY expansion points can tied together to grip teh shape of car better, especially for aptera if lifting car by the side requires a level of lift that could have it fall over sideways, which probably wont happen.

• Leonard Nowak

October 31, 2021 at 7:48 pm

This has been answered in the FAQ spreadsheet

No spare tire

Flat tire leak repair kit ( can )

No jack or tire iron, (too much added weight)

There will be lift points, (not yet shown) Wheel covers will be easy to remove. Some unclipping expected

• Johnathan Ting

November 6, 2021 at 12:42 pm

The timing isn’t quite right, but Michelin UPTIS would be an awesome option for the Aptera.

https://michelinmedia.com/michelin-uptis/

• David botzenhart

November 6, 2021 at 1:02 pm

This airless tire would be ideal for the rear tire and put conventual tires on front that are easy to access.

• Laura Batchelor

December 3, 2021 at 5:38 pm

Wondering if Aptera could talk Michelin into providing the prototype UPTIS early for their production run. It could be a real world test for the UPTIS. I hate the idea of no way to change a flat.

• John Malcom

December 3, 2021 at 6:05 pm

Many drawbacks to the airless tires at this point to include high resistance to roll, heat generation and limits to top speed. Airless tires have been addressed several times on the forum. Not quite ready for prime time for this version of Aptera. Should track what the partnership between GM and Michelin produces in the next couple of years.

• BRUCE MENGLER

October 31, 2021 at 7:59 pm
  • Cosme Tome Melendez

November 1, 2021 at 3:54 pm

Bruce thank you for your feedback, I understand the no metallic jack and tire on the Aptera keeping weight. Then my question, does Aptera will supply as a kit something similar to the X-Jack Exhaust Jack, or it is our responsibility as driver to buy one?

• Peter Jorgensen

November 1, 2021 at 3:59 pm

I would plan on it being our responsibility. They may offer a kit down the road but that’s years down the road. I just got a Kia Niro EV and had to buy a (hyundai sonata) full size spare tire and jack (subaru) and wrench.

• Arlen Bell

November 4, 2021 at 8:12 am

I believe Aptera has said there will be jack points. My guess is these will be on the metal suspension pieces and likely designed for more standard type jacks such as sissor jacks. AAA might respond with a compatible jack or one could buy a small one and store in the front storage space. Of greater concern is how to handle a tire that cannot be fixed with a plug. This would probably require removing the wheel and taking it to a place that stocks a compatible tire. On the road this probably means a flat bed tow is the most viable solution.

• Cosme Tome Melendez

November 1, 2021 at 4:00 pm

Bruce sorry, it is me again, this system will not work, Aptera is electric so, no Exhaust combustion gases is possible at all…, maybe you will provide something similar but pumping air by a foot pump, is correct?

• Peter Jorgensen

November 7, 2021 at 2:58 pm

Yes but they can also be inflated using a 12v air compressor (no exhaust needed)

• Cosme Tome Melendez

November 7, 2021 at 6:49 pm

Peter, you are right, any pump that pumps air is good either electric or manual

• Joshua Rosen

November 2, 2021 at 7:57 am

AAA

• John Malcom

December 3, 2021 at 6:10 pm

Yep! Painless and easy. Nothing to lose track of and no weight impact. best thing that ever happened to fathers with driving daughters too.

• Christine Maslak

November 6, 2021 at 3:48 pm

For an 1800 lb car, a small electric jack should suffice. There are several types, sizes and weights available on line. A better solution might be an auto club membership, for a tow to a tire shop.

• Peter Jorgensen

November 7, 2021 at 2:59 pm

Agree. Just a cheap scissor jack will make quick work of it. Some will opt for memberships and flatbeds. I like a physical spare and my own kit – because I’m often times on long road trips outside of cell service or I don’t want to wait for a tow truck.

• Guy SKEER

December 5, 2021 at 6:43 am

ATTENTION! THREAD VEER!

Tires.

Light Vehicle means that Tires will be lightly Loaded – Hydroplaning?

Hope Tires are of the absolutely Most Common Size, so maximum choices available – Hydrophilic Severely siped Snow Tires Like (SP?) Hakkallopittas?

Low Profile Tires for a Slightly Lower (Mechanically) Gear Ratio? “Taller Tires” for Slightly Higher Top Speed, or For Better Ground Clearance? Mixed Sizes to Change Stance when Loaded just so…

Viewing 1 - 9 of 9 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now