Aptera External Solar Panel Solutions – Varied Options

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera External Solar Panel Solutions – Varied Options

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera External Solar Panel Solutions – Varied Options

• Aptera External Solar Panel Solutions – Varied Options

Ronster updated 1 week, 3 days ago 7 Members · 31 Posts
  • Ronster

November 12, 2021 at 6:50 am

Aptera apparently is using the Sunpower Maxeon solar cells.

This link (& its product line) may provide an answer (or multiple varied ones) to us all.

Wallbox collaboration page: https://us.sunpower.com/products/wallbox-ev-charger

• Will Blanco

November 12, 2021 at 6:53 am

Oh yes, there was a video made on this. Very clever. It uses a powder substance instead of crystals which makes it much more durable.

• Alain Chuzel

November 12, 2021 at 10:15 am

<div>FYI, SunPower/Maxeon cells do not use “powdered substance instead of crystals”. The following thread has more if you’re interested. The second thread has more discussion about the cells as well.
      </div><div>

Kristen Dirksen visits Aptera!

</div><div>

</div><div>

solar cell temperature

</div><div>

</div>

• Will Blanco

November 13, 2021 at 4:17 am

A powder crystal cell is what is used

• Alain Chuzel

November 13, 2021 at 5:12 am

The cells shown are not “a powder crystal cell”.

The cells are Interdigitated Back Contact (IBC) single (a.k.a. mono-) crystal silicon.

I work with these cells daily and have been since they’ve been available in the early 2000’s.

• Ronster

November 12, 2021 at 6:53 am

Look familiar?

• Alain Chuzel

November 12, 2021 at 10:18 am

There’s little to dispute that SunPower/Maxeon cells are “robust”. This video, however, is incredibly misleading. Cells of any type are usually “encapsulated”. The encapsulation keeps cells from shattering into loose, little pieces.

• Ronster

November 12, 2021 at 10:37 am

It’s an older vid but either way, I’m not the content creator so I make no warranty. ๐Ÿ˜‰

In the meantime, here’s a similar video to what Chris demonstrated before:

https://youtu.be/JZR9_ImN6qU

• Alain Chuzel

November 12, 2021 at 10:52 am

I’m not blaming you just pointing out the bull$hit these vids more than imply.

BTW, the guy in the video keeps saying power. He’s not measuring power. Meter is set to measure current (amps). Finally, check out near bottom of following thread:

solar cell temperature

SunPower/Maxeon cells broken to the extent shown in Chris’s vid as as well as the above vid will NOT produce the same power as unbroken.

• Ronster

November 12, 2021 at 6:56 am

• Ronster

November 12, 2021 at 7:05 am

• Ronster

November 12, 2021 at 7:06 am

Greetings from the beautiful Okanagan Valley of British Columbia, CANADA.

Hope you all find the above helpful.

If admin wants to move the discussion to the EV side, feel free to of course ๐ŸŒผ. I just assume that side to be more generic ie. not particularly Aptera related whereas this post is intended to be and as such, decided not to post there as a duplicate post either.

• Ray Holan

November 12, 2021 at 7:24 am

Hi, Ron. I wanted to do Sunpower panels for my home’s 7 kW solar system. Unfortunately, the quotes to use this product were 35% higher than the next most efficient panel. Ouch! I think the Silfab panel I purchased was 1% less efficient than the Sunpower panels. No matter how I ran the expected lifetime numbers, the ROI wasn’t there. The Silfab panels carried the same warranty against degradation during its 25 year life as the Sunpower panels.

That said, I’m glad Aptera is going with Sunpower cells since they do have the reputation of being the most efficient in the industry at this time.

• Paul Kirchner

November 12, 2021 at 7:53 am

Ron,

I lived in Vernon back in the 70’s for half a decade. It sure was beautiful then.

• Ronster

November 12, 2021 at 8:05 am

Cool. We’re living in a boutique community nearby.

• Paul Kirchner

November 12, 2021 at 8:34 am

Back then there sure wasn’t any boutique nothing around there. And to mention having a vineyard would have been cause for a straitjacket!

• Ray Holan

November 13, 2021 at 5:21 am

My wife’s sister lives in Bellingham WA just South of the border. This is where Silfab, the company who made my home solar panels, has one of their factories. Only been as far as Vancouver in BC. What a beautiful part of the world.

• Ronster

November 14, 2021 at 12:45 am
  • Ronster

November 14, 2021 at 3:48 am

“Here Comes the Sun” by the Beatles (2019 Remix):

Here comes the sun, doo-doo-doo-doo, here comes the sun

And I say it’s all right

Little darling, it’s been a long cold lonely winter

Little darling, it feels like years since it’s been here

And I say it’s all right

Little darling, the smiles returning to the faces

Little darling, it seems like years since it’s been here

And I say it’s all right

Sun, sun, sun, here it comes

Little darling, I feel that ice is slowly melting

Little darling, it seems like years since it’s been clear

And I say it’s all right

It’s all right

It’s all right

• Ronster

November 14, 2021 at 3:49 am

“Lovely Day” by Bill Withers:

When I wake up in the morning, love

And the sunlight hurts my eyes

And something without warning, love

Bears heavy on my mind

Then I look at you

And the world’s alright with me

Just one look at you

And I know it’s gonna be

A lovely day

… lovely day, lovely day, lovely day …

When the day that lies ahead of me

Seems impossible to face

When someone else instead of me

Always seems to know the way

Then I look at you

Just one look at you

And I know it’s gonna be

A lovely day…..

When the day that lies ahead of me

Seems impossible to face

When someone else instead of me

Always seems to know the way

Then I look at you

Just one look at you

And I know it’s gonna be

A lovely day……

• Peter Jorgensen

November 15, 2021 at 7:44 am

Wrong thread guys

• Ray Holan

November 27, 2021 at 10:39 am

This is an informative video that shows how a Tesla owner can use 4 portable folding solar panels and a Jackery 1500 solar generator to solar charge the vehicle. He’s only charging at 110V, but it does illustrate one of the options for charging the Aptera that has been discussed on the forum: using an external inverter rather than directly connecting the DC output from external panels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wblPS4zjCWI

• John Malcom

November 27, 2021 at 12:25 pm

Third party or after market DYI solutions from creative owners.

Capability to direct connect to Aptera via a built in plug to charge from panels or wind turbine will not be in version one of the Aptera currently in Beta build.

High mileage battery options and up to 40 miles a day organic charging are what will be offered. No business case for the above given the battery selection options and organic charging options.

Possibly in V2 of Aptera if market research and feature prioritization forecast it a sufficiently big revenue generator.

• Ray Holan

November 27, 2021 at 1:25 pm

Yes, John. I had anticipated that a port for directly plugging in solar panels would NOT be included in the initial (or even later) models.

It would be an additional cost to Aptera to include a solar charge controller as part of their built in circuitry that would exceed the 700W max of their own solar cells. Being able to get an extra charge off-grid as described in the video would appeal to overlanders and other off the grid types. This market segment is likely small and then falls into the Aptera engineering category of “why bother?”. Especially as this third party solution does work, albeit at a slow charging pace.

• Ronster

November 27, 2021 at 1:37 pm

In the end, I wouldn’t preclude the possibility of things still being tweaked and as such, don’t disregard outright. That being said, no one knows for sure what tweaks are on the table or still to be considered prior to final.

They are adding headroom in beta, changing from a swing arm in rear etc. To say changes are all done is not accurate given none of us are working in the Aptera decision, consideration or future consideration arena. This is still a moving target and some things still in flux. I’m not saying I’m holding my breath but it certainly isn’t the hardest thing to accommodate IMHO.

I will assume that BRASS peruses this area of their website and as such, shutting down discussion of “what if” is not only presumptive but is anti-productive & holds innovation, public interest &/or possible tweaks at bay.

Are there some personal agendas at play? Sure. No doubt. That goes for those for but also those AGAINST (all things new) that give some perception of delay when there in fact need not be with “sime* of the suggestions.

Do it right the first time!

Suggestions are just that & no one is (or can) truthfully guarantee anything. Things can change even when some may think they can’t. Aptera is small, (entrepreneurial driven) and nimble and as such, looking to lead with the widest margin of overall utility & relevant innovation.

Don’t automatically say NO by reflex. That is not creating innovation nor distance. It is not facilitating “what if” prior to production or as a future possibility. It discourages discussion which is what this community is supposed to be (all self-proclaimed, self-professed, all knowing, institutional “experts” aside).

Anyway, enjoy your weekend everyone.

Greetings from the Okanagan Valley of British Columbia, CANADA.

• John Malcom

November 27, 2021 at 6:12 pm

Aptera is an engineering company run by engineer senior execs using engineering/product development methodology and standards. This particular set of engineering execs are trying to avoid the mistakes that caused the demise of the company the first time. That being not being able to say no and trying to be everything for everybody.

Aptera is a company. As such it needs to make a profit with limited resources to include capital and staff. Those resources have to be applied to implementing a set of features that the consensus of its management believes will have the highest probability to appeal to the market.

Aptera’s role Is not to be an innovation incubator.

You and I contend back and forth about our conflicting views a lot. If you feel strongly about your approach, take the initiative and found a product based startup using your ideas and prove me wrong. Or enlighten us on the startups you have partnered in that were successful using your approach.

• Ronster

November 27, 2021 at 6:43 pm

Not sure whether you have any understanding of how Disney does their thing. โ€œWe keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because weโ€™re curious. And curiosity keeps leading us down new paths. Weโ€™re always exploring and experimenting. We call Imagineering the blending of creative imagination with technical know-how.โ€ โ€“ Walt Disney

You must envision your vision before you can execute your plan. Engineers are challenged to accommodate the creative vision and as such, often innovate as a result. The culture of what if’s; why not? Can do over can’t do!

Do some research before you ask silly questions looking for example.

Anyway, you and I privately discussed my background (ownerships & entrepreneurial) so you are fully aware. Very successful companies with large, multiple, complex operations. I’m not one to boast as this forum isn’t about my (or your) achievements. Hello? Anyway, my background was concept development, marketing, branding & operations; highly recognized.

D.R.M. (Doesn’t Really Matter ๐Ÿ˜‚), that’s the initials and title attached to my name. ROFL

You do tend to “volunteer boast” a lot leading into most discussions and appear to always want to control the narrative and discussions as a know everything over everyone else. Raging insecurities perhaps? We (I) know more about your “exceptional greatness” than your wife probably does (it’s a joke, lighten up).

Are you involved with the people you describe at Aptera? Met them personally? Neighbours perhaps? Most everything you say with such authorative certainty is mostly conjecture on your part.

Anyway, I’m sure you’re a decent guy but don’t be so willing to buy into your own B.S.

Either you’re F.O.S. or you never admitted out loud that you are/might be.

Could you host an open forum of discussion, ideas and opinion? Probably not. Not in your character, it would seem at least on the surface. We’d get to caught up in what you know than you perhaps learning something yourself; even from the “dishwasher” that you might consider to be a lackey writing them off as having nothing to offer nor contribute. What do you know about that dishwasher? Just making a point you may or may not follow.

Have you ever managed people before? Have you ever started a super successful business yourself. OMG, did I just open a door. LMAO. If you have, good for you. If you haven’t, well…

Anyway, carry on being you. Cheers!

• John Malcom

November 27, 2021 at 9:47 pm

I will and I am sure you will as well. (continue to be who we are)

Your background explains a lot about your posts. Concept development not R and D or production.

I am confident. Need to be to get things done. An engineer thing I guess.

Yes I quote my experience. It is no greater than an engineer or program manager who has been around in this industry as long as I have. “Hind sight is 20/20″ so it makes a difference if I have been there and ” Made those mistakes” and can pass lessons learned on.

• Ronster

November 27, 2021 at 10:01 pm

My background? What do you know about my background. You are a piece of work. Seriously, who do you think you are with your judgement and attitude presenting both as representing truth hiding behind all you got, a designation?

Like I mentioned above, D.R.M. (Doesn’t Really Matter ๐Ÿ˜‚), that’s the initials and title attached to my name.

You’re funny. Who said my duties were exclusive & segmented in such a structure? You don’t think R&D is involved? Entrepreneurs wear several hats at once and our jobs is to cut through the B.S. whilst listening to all.

You think you’re better than me (and others) by projecting yourself as having achieved so much more (in some manner or sort)? G.F.Y. Who cares? Really. WHO cares!! NOT ME! It’s irrelevant; albeit incorrect.

I’m not here to boast about myself but… ah, never mind. I’ll leave it for YOUR narcissistic ego. Yes, carry on being you. Like I said, wear it; Keystone (Kindergarten) Cop & all.

I (we) await with baited BREATH for you to enlighten us all with your depth & undisputable, all encompassing knowledge on everything. Your superiority precedes you. Let no man (or woman) dispute by opinion, suggestion or words; challenge nor disagree with your highness.

• Ronster

November 27, 2021 at 11:09 pm

BTW, may I suggest Aptera is a “lifestyle” company at its core. Engineering is not a purpose but a means to an end. Everything ultimately follows & flows from a vision or purpose; everything exclusively in support thereof. Everyone, all employees, all departments & divisions are invaluable in achieving effective cohesion.

The tail doesn’t wag the dog, it’s a part of the dog (nearest the butt LOL) and it doesn’t function or exist alone in a “vacuum”. Everyone need be in synch, top to bottom, front to back.

Anyway, what do I know? Nothing.

You can engineer away something nobody wants too. There need be an emotional connection. That is why I say lifestyle importance & buy in.

People will reward you for ALL your efforts (engineering et al) with their money based on “emotional connection”. Staff will buy in with their loyalty.

You’re not selling three wheels. You are selling a vision of the future and the promise of a better tomorrow.

It becomes bigger than a machine, widget or product itself & into a brand of greater value, through image, perception & attainable expectation.

Perception. Imagery. Delivery.

• John Malcom

November 27, 2021 at 6:13 pm

Ray good analysis. Much better than mine!

Viewing 1 - 9 of 9 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now