[Europe] 3-phase AC charging

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions [Europe] 3-phase AC charging

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions [Europe] 3-phase AC charging

• [Europe] 3-phase AC charging

Peter Jorgensen updated 1 month ago 3 Members · 4 Posts
  • Volker Schöch

November 4, 2021 at 7:26 am

Hi Aptera, in the charging section of the Specs2022 document, there is mentioning of 50 kW DC charging and 110 V single-phase AC charging:

https://www.aptera.us/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/Specs-2022.pdf

In Europe, 3-phase charging is standard, and there are two levels of it:

3 phases x 230 V x 16 A = 11 kW and 3 phases x 230 V x 32 A = 22 kW

Can you confirm that the Aptera will offer 11 kW AC 3-phase charging for Europe? I think that can be regarded as a minimum requirement. It would be very nice if Aptera could charge with 22 kW AC, too. Given the extreme efficiency of the Aptera, 22 kW would add approx. 200 miles of range in one hour, which is pretty close to “fast charging”! Public or semi-public AC charging stations are far more common, than DC chargers, and much cheaper.

• Joshua Rosen

November 4, 2021 at 9:25 am

I’m hoping that the mention of Level I (120V) without mentioning Level 2 (240V) is an oversight. The car needs at least 240V 32A (7.7KW) charging, if it has less than that I won’t buy it. You have to be able to do a full charge overnight and you can’t do that with Level I, putting 50KWh into a battery at 120V * 12A would take 35 hours. With a 7.7KW Level 2 you can put 50KW into the battery in 6.5 hours which is fine. The 50KW DC rate is also a concern but less so. With the 600 mile battery you will never need to charge the car on the road for any single day trip and for multiday trips you are back to charging every several hours which would be OK assuming that they can maintain a flat charging curve through the full charge. 50KW is so low that it should be possible to maintain the full rate, I’ve never seen my Tesla drop below 60KW even near 90%.

For Europe the 16A three phase rate would be even better than 32A 240V in the US. No need to do 22KW although it would be nice if they could. Wish we had Europe’s three phase charging, in the US buildings are wired three phase but the EVSEs only use two legs which gives you 208V instead of 240V which is what our residential split phase power is. On public AC chargers we only get 6.6KW although for overnight charging at a hotel for instance, that would be fine, 50KW would take less than 8 hours.

• Peter Jorgensen

November 4, 2021 at 10:28 am

I have a Niro EV with a liquid cooled 67KWH battery for reference – Peak charging rate is 78 kw.

It will run 78kw up to about 60%. At 70% it throttles down to 50 kw then 24kw. It stays at 24kw up to 93 or so then it tapers off…

I guess what I’m saying is I expect a 600 mile Aptera to be similar. 50kw up through 50-70% then throttling down after that. That’s still pretty good though, especially if you consider that the useful range to next charger is 300 miles (3-4 hours on highway)

• Peter Jorgensen

November 4, 2021 at 10:25 am

I also want a good powerful onboard charger. Preferably more than 7.7 kw. Or just the ability to retrofit one easily. I’d like 11kw minimum…

Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now