Engine Failure

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Engine Failure

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Engine Failure

• Engine Failure

• Kevin Molloy

November 15, 2021 at 6:28 pm

Sorry if this has been asked before…but what about a failure of one of the in wheel drive motors? Will you still be able to continue driving with the one or two motors remaining, (depending on what you orderd)? I don’t want to site a specific failure as I am not familiar with how they might fail. Is there a way to disconnect the failed motor so that the wheel can rotate freely? Just throwing this out there for the experts to answer! Thanks!

• Paul Schultz

November 15, 2021 at 6:54 pm

I can report that the Lordstown Motors Endurance pickup truck that uses 4 Elaphe in-wheel motors can operate with a motor malfunction. At least from some of their reports… nothing like a validation video exists though. But, Apteral is using the same in-wheel motor tech so I would think that they can still have the vehicle operate if one of the motors fails. At least in a ‘limp mode’ to avoid being stranded.

Paul

• Riley -_-

November 15, 2021 at 7:59 pm

I would be surprised if the Aptera can drive with one front wheel powered and the other not. With the in wheel motors applying a torque onto the steering i think it would just pin the steering towards the direction of the dead motor.

• Philip Raymond

November 15, 2021 at 8:08 pm

This situation might be a good reason to get the all wheel drive version, that extra rear wheel motor could possibly help a lot. Just conjecture on my part.

• Peter Jorgensen

November 16, 2021 at 7:44 am

In theory the AWD version could manage to limp around by powering the rear motor to push it forward while the front two didn’t do much. Or if the rear failed it’d be symmetrical and not an issue. The FWD version might be able to “limp” to the shoulder but it would be hard. I’d be more worried about losing control while driving if one side suddenly went full regen without the other side.

I don’t know how much of that they’d actually write into the programming. In general I think this is an extremely rare failure case that we may not ever see in the real world given the reliability of electric motors.

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now