Electric Windshield for Aptera ?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Electric Windshield for Aptera ?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Electric Windshield for Aptera ?

• Electric Windshield for Aptera ?

Hans Roes updated 1 month, 2 weeks ago 7 Members · 7 Posts
  • Pistonboy Delux

October 20, 2021 at 12:43 am

Electric windshields aid in clearing the windshield in ICE cars. The primary way of keeping the windshield clear is by using hot air which is in abundance in ICE cars. However, electrically heated windshields speed up this process by producing instantaneous heat before the engine has warmed up.

As we know, the Aptera has no hot ICE engine from which to obtain hot air, although hot air from electric heating elements is quickly available.

Is Aptera planning to use electric windshields as the primary and only method of clearing the windshield in cold weather ? It is a motorcycle and has more leeway than automobiles.

This would be another innovation Tesla would like to see developed. I am convinced Tesla is helping Aptera because they (Aptera) are so innovative.

• John Wiley

October 20, 2021 at 6:44 am

How could that be done without seeing the circuit lines running through the glass like we see in the rear window?

• Hans Roes

October 20, 2021 at 12:13 pm

The wires are very fine. Plenty of cars already have such a system and you have to look really hard to notice them.

• Joshua Rosen

October 20, 2021 at 6:45 am

Heat management is critical in EVs. The resistance heater in my Tesla reduces range by 1/3rd, I try not to use it unless absolutely necessary. Defogging or deicing the windshield is the thing that forces me to use the heater not personal comfort, anything that can accomplish that take more efficiently than hot air would make a big difference. For personal comfort you can tolerate temperatures in the 20s inside of a car without heat as long as you are dressed appropriately especially if you have heated seats and a heated steering wheel (my Tesla lacks the heated steering wheel, my Volt had it). But you have to be able to see out of your windshield and for that you need a defogging mechanism.

• Paul Rowe

October 20, 2021 at 8:20 am

I can see this potentially being the car I keep in the garage during the winter. I will still drive it in the snow, but deicing the windows without reducing your range could be a problem. We can get a substantial amount of snow in Idaho, but it’s more about not wanting to scrape ice off the windows at 5 am that makes me think this is the way to go. No sun overnight anyway, but I’ll get that while parked at work.

• Ron Miller

October 20, 2021 at 8:34 am

Re the windshield – I can not see it in any pics but does the vehicle have wipers? Looks like a gap between windshield and body – hope they live in there.

• Morris Wilder

October 20, 2021 at 11:30 am

My F-Pace has the heated windscreen. There are very fine vertical wires imbedded in the glass which can be set to activate automatically while the vehicle is on (depending on the weather outside). It works nicely enough for me. Would not mind having something like that in the Aptera if it does not tax the batteries too much.

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now