Driver Inclined Seat-Back

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Driver Inclined Seat-Back

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Driver Inclined Seat-Back

• Driver Inclined Seat-Back

John Wiley updated 4 weeks, 1 day ago 5 Members · 10 Posts
  • John Wiley

August 22, 2021 at 12:10 pm

I think I remember Chris or Steve talking about how the seats could be put in an upright position, yet all of the videos I have seen show the seat in a fairly reclined position. I personally have neck and back issues and do not want to be driving in a reclined position. Of course, the seat can be reclined for entry and exit, then put more upright for driving, but will there be adequate headroom for the 6’ driver that wants to drive in an upright position? Any thoughts on this?

• Gabe Kemeny

August 22, 2021 at 3:30 pm

Seat controls should be no different that regular manual car seats with a fairly upright position possible.

• John Wiley

August 22, 2021 at 3:37 pm

I’m sure the control will be easy. I’m just wondering what the head room will be in an upright position.

• kerbe2705

August 22, 2021 at 10:31 pm

In believe that, when they talk about interior headroom, they’re talking about measuring from the seat cushion to the roof liner – at a 90° angle to the seat. The alpha prototypes seem to fit someone 6’2″ while the betas are being designed to fit someone 6’8″ tall. But, as not all torsos are the same length (I have long legs but not a long torso and have a friend who is the exact oposite: We are both 6′ tall, but do not see eye-to-eye when seated across from each other.), such descriptions are relative.

• John Wiley

August 23, 2021 at 11:44 am

It’s my recollection that every time they’ve talked about head room for a 6’ 8” person, they’ve never put it in the context of seat position. A 6’ 8” person sitting in a full upright vertical position? I don’t know. Seems unlikely. Given that the seat angle is an important factor in determining head room, I personally don’t think it should be left out of the discussion regarding the available space. You’re right about the varying torso lengths between individuals. Do we know the seat-to-ceiling length? That would be useful information.

• kerbe2705

August 24, 2021 at 6:44 am

If seatback rake is a variable in this measurement, then what’s to stop them from saying an Aptera can easily fit a 10′ tall person? I mean, if you recline the seatback, head room extends into the rear of the vehicle…

• Noah Blumenthal

August 24, 2021 at 3:55 am

The 6’8″ sounds great for me (6’2″). Anyone know if there will be vertical adjustability to the seat? I need to make sure my wife (5’0″) will be able to see over the steering wheel.

• kerbe2705

August 24, 2021 at 6:47 am

They’re achieving the increase by lowering the interior “floor” of the vehicle so, one would hope, this would make seat-height adjustment a possibility.

• my_discord_number_is_0328 bloody stupid

August 24, 2021 at 4:43 pm

maybe straightened spine in a more laying down position while looking down road with head tilted to be maximally in line with spine, may help. im guess its a seat position like this that you find uncomfortable ( i use this position so the other one doesnt have to adjust it upward again b/c im that much taller, and saw it emulated in this GordonMurrayAuto t.50. orange seat, there are 2 grey seats left and right of driver):

• John Wiley

August 24, 2021 at 4:59 pm

If I understand you correctly – yes. The more the seat back is tilted toward the rear, the more I have to tilt my head forward to see and the more painful it gets (arthritis). So, I need the seat in a more upright or vertical position, which requires more headroom. Again, a measurement of distance from seat surface (where my butt sits) to the ceiling would help me determine if I have enough clearance.

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now