Does the Aptera qualify for the carpool lane?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Does the Aptera qualify for the carpool lane?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Does the Aptera qualify for the carpool lane?

Tagged: ,

• Does the Aptera qualify for the carpool lane?

• Rick McKnight

October 1, 2021 at 8:05 am

Here in CA, motorcycles can drive in the carpool lane with no special permit. With the Aptera being categorized as a motorcycle, will it also enjoy that same privilege?

The other option is, CA also allows fully electric vehicles to purchase exemption stickers, that allow those vehicles to travel in the carpool lane with only one person. The concern I have, is that those exemption stickers are for cars only, not motorcycles, so the Aptera may not qualify.

• rich garlick

October 1, 2021 at 8:21 am

In AZ , if you have the “blue sky” plate given to Alternative Fuel Vehicles’s and some 10,000 grandfathered hybrids you can use the HOV lane as a single-occupt during HOV restricted times (M-F- 6am-9am and 3 pm-7 pm) Aptera will be allowed as a BEV.

• Leonard Nowak

October 1, 2021 at 8:41 am

I spoke to my local DMV agent and he said 🤔

There are no AZ Alternative Fuel Vehicle license plates “ for autocycles/motorcycle”- size plates, so I should call back a ask about an AFV sticker that could possibly be applied to a std motorcycle plate

My AZ friend will be getting one of the earliest ( Paradigm) Aptera, so will learn together. I have an early reservation number but not a Paradigm Edition ( from the first 220 vehicle series)

ElectraMeccanica is suppose to deliver their early Solo reservations in Oct… So that should paint a picture for each state.

No sure about other electric attocycle products

• Rick McKnight

October 1, 2021 at 9:01 am

Great point about the Solo. It’s very similar to the Aptera, so whatever they’re approved for, so will the Aptera. EM has production in AZ, and several retail stores in CA, so we’ll be the first to know how that turns out. And as you pointed out, looks like they’ll have vehicles on the road shortly, so we’ll know definitively very soon.

• John Malcom

October 1, 2021 at 8:53 am

Mr. Nowak did the research for AZ!

Every state will have different rules for use of the HOV Lanes regarding the type of vehicles that can use them and when. These rules change from time to time of course. You can check with your your respective state DMV anytime to see what the rules are. Certainly you should check around the time you expect to take delivery of your Aptera. Not all of us are as lucky as Mr. Nowak to have a friend with an early delivery to blaze the trail for us.

• Oz Man

October 1, 2021 at 9:08 am

Rick, often overlooked when people talk about Aptera, are Steve Fambro’s own words, he stated that the original concept was pretty much for a covered three wheel M/C that would allow access to the California carpool lanes. As long as no legislation or rule changes are introduced to classify it as an autocycle, and to restrict them from the carpool lanes, it will remain legal in California. (But you’d have to check for out of state regulations though.

• Bryan Bowes

October 4, 2021 at 10:10 am

In Colorado 2 seat cars are not allowed to ride in the HOV (including no hybrids) but starting Jul 1 2022 Colorado has adopted California’s Clean Air Act which allows EV’s to ride in express toll and HOV lanes for free.

• Dean McManis

October 4, 2021 at 2:08 pm

It definitely will vary from state to state, but this is one of the great perks of the Aptera for me here in CA is full access to the HOV lane without a sticker (which expires). On the DMV website it does talk about part-time HOV lanes that require 2 or more people. I think that some people are pushing to make commuter lanes into “HOT” TOLL lanes just to make money, and circumvent the real purpose of reducing traffic and pollution. Unless something drastically changes, vehicles with motorcycle plates still get HOV access.

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now