Delayed ???

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Delayed ???

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Delayed ???

• Delayed ???

Henry Kitt updated 1 week, 6 days ago 10 Members · 24 Posts
  • Robert Zigmond

September 12, 2021 at 5:20 pm

Since the chip shortage has impacted every manufacture in ways never seen before like the BIG three either slowing or even Stopping production on vehicles line .

Does Aptera have a plan or plans on how the Chip shortage will impact delivery of the only EV in the world that will actually change the world?

• Peter Jorgensen

September 12, 2021 at 6:18 pm

So, according to the last couple of monthly video updates on their YouTube – They are very well aware of the situation, and the chip shortage is a problem. Basically they said they are buying tons of chips in the hope that they’ll have them in a year. The other thing they can do right now is order small batches but at very high prices.

Essentially, they know more than you and I about this and they’re doing everything they can to deal with it.

• Kenneth Bolinsky

September 12, 2021 at 6:48 pm

If their latest video is to be believed, they have LOADS of chips on-hand! 🤣

• Robert Zigmond

September 12, 2021 at 7:35 pm

Look it was a simple question,. No if and or but about it ….. I thought this was for a friendly discussion . Not a smack down like you did to me …. truly I know they know more then i do and for me to gain knowledge I ask questions …. So just relax unless all forms here are run by you and all question from any one has to be approved by you before asking them…. So a simple answer would have been better to complete this discussion…. Just take a breath and RELAX you do know know it all either

• Ozman

September 12, 2021 at 7:43 pm

Man, Robert, take a few deep ones too. I read that reply, and I didn’t see it as a smackdown at all. As far as I know we’re all copasetic here, admirers of the vehicle and learning what we can.

• John Malcom

September 12, 2021 at 8:21 pm

No smack down intended by that post. I certainly didn’t interpret it that way. Just trying to relay his understanding of the issue and his source of information. Probably doing the best he could trying to answer your question. As you can tell the location isn’t nailed down yet.

I have yet to see a troll on the forum.

Developing a new vehicle is a complex process. If you are relatively new here you may get a flavor of chaos. But we are very fortunate to have a team that is open and honest in their communication with us a about the status of development

• Joshua Rosen

September 13, 2021 at 6:33 am

I doubt that chips will be the bottleneck in production. I doubt they will build more than a thousand cars in the first year of production and they should be able to get components for that many cars, it’s possible to stockpile parts for a thousand cars, the big car companies are building millions of cars, they need a continuous flow of parts. At this point they can be flexible about what they use, component availability would play a big part in their choices.

• Peter Jorgensen

September 13, 2021 at 12:29 pm

Robert – My apologies – I did not mean to cause any consternation.

Here is what I’ve heard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNASzzARVJA

I believe there is also some information on it here buried in this Q&A.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIuv_igjfLI

Also they posted on social media a delivery of several large bags of Potato Chips fans sent to “make sure they had enough chips”.

• John Malcom

September 13, 2021 at 6:04 pm

Ohhh Peter, groan…..such a bad pun about the chips……😜

• David Marlow

September 14, 2021 at 11:29 am

Bad news,

According to source that I can’t reveal.

While Aptera may start production early next year, due to supplier issues thy will not be able to complete any until late next spring at the earliest.

• Henry Kitt

September 14, 2021 at 12:36 pm

If that’s true it may only matter to the earliest reservation holders, since I imagine having a bunch of cars that are 90% complete sitting around will allow them to push out a large quantity of vehicles shortly after the final remaining pieces arrive.

• Joshua Rosen

September 14, 2021 at 12:42 pm

I don’t expect any before next summer. It’s Sept and they are still working on the betas, after beta they still have another rev before they get to their production intent vehicles. Once they have those they have to get regulatory approval. Don’t know if they need a crash test or not, what are the rules for autocycles?

• Peter Jorgensen

September 14, 2021 at 12:48 pm

Thanks for the update David – I’m not surprised. Could be a lot worse. Do you know if that affects Beta/Gamma vehicles too or just production vehicles?

For what it’s worth I figured it would be a while so I just started a 36 month lease on a new EV for the time being. Cheers to a 2024 delivery!

• John Malcom

September 14, 2021 at 1:43 pm

David, I am astonished that you would post this information even if true.

This kind of information is considered competition sensitive and proprietary to Aptera. Only Aptera has the prerogative to release this kind of information publicly and to determine when it would be most appropriate. You don’t work for Aptera nor is your name on the latest Brand Ambassadors list so please refrain from exposing information not officially released by Aptera management or marketing.

Even if the source you won’t identify works for Aptera you should have the presence of mind not to share proprietary information.

As you can see, it evokes dialog that is not necessary and now someone from Aptera will have to take time to publicly provide correct and complete information, the whole story instead of a hearsay tidbit

• Ronster

September 14, 2021 at 1:50 pm

I didn’t expect anyone to get theirs anywhere before summer 2022. Regarding crash test stuff, they should have the advantage as a motorcycle to keep moving along whilst still fitting them with car grade safety features & testing for their own crash test purposes incl. for marketing/sales related but is not a requirement per sae.

That said, the shell of the Aptera should go through a SNELL, DOT or related (helmet) test (or modified test) for marketing and other related purpose or with full discretion. I mentioned this before in another post.

• John Malcom

September 14, 2021 at 1:59 pm

Aptera has stated that they will test to full auto safety crash standards and are confident that they will pass. One of their strengths of their good engineering is built in engineering to full auto safety standards.

This might also give them an engineering head start on the four wheel, four passenger auto version of the Aptera since a lot of the engineering will be the same and they can claim already setting a precedent by passing the crash safety tests with the three wheel version of the Aptera.

• Ronster

September 14, 2021 at 2:06 pm

Yes, they stated this but they aren’t under the same pressure nor regulatory. That said, it’s absolutely important for them to design with safety in mind and to do everything they can to meet and/or exceed the highest of car safety standards &/or expectations for all kinds of reasons. In the end, they will be at least the safest of two seater motorcycles (or three wheel autocycles) plus, plus, plus.

• John Malcom

September 14, 2021 at 2:37 pm

They are designing/engineering/building to those standards and of course will test to those standards. Why take time to engineer and build to those standards and not test to them? Wasted time and resources.

The pressure they are under is their public commitment to test and pass full auto safety standards as an autocycle. I would not make a claim like that without being pretty sure that I could pass, especially as a startup with everyone in the auto industry watching and hoping for failure. Also, since the claim is public, a lot of credibility lost if you don’t test, and if you do test, and not pass the test.

Even though there is little hard engineering information public, I believe (Believe not know), from what is public, they will pass and do better than some vehicles (EV and ICE) currently on the market.

I am not sure that industry or the market will give them the credibility points they deserve for that accomplishment though

I worked as a consultant for a large car company penetrating the EV market in there engineering process and quality group. They have a number of safety issues at the moment. I would give Aptera a better chance of passing safety standards that this other company with the current line of vehicles.

• Pistonboy

September 14, 2021 at 5:10 pm

This is a side note.

If I remember correctly, years ago Elio Motors (EM) said they were designing to meet federal crash safety standards for automobiles, and they would have the federal government perform those tests. But because the Elio was officially classified as a motorcycle, the federal government would not test the Elio, stating they do not test motorcycles. EM’s solution around the problem was to have their vehicle tested by the organization that test vehicles for insurance companies. (This is how insurance companies set insurance rates of various vehicles. I cannot remember the name of the organization.) They test to the same standards and I believe the government accepts their tests.

• John Malcom

September 14, 2021 at 5:27 pm

Pistonboy. The organization your are referring to is the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS). They are a nonprofit that tests for crash worthiness and crash avoidance and mitigation. Our insurance companies would use their results to determine risk level to set rates

• Pistonboy

September 14, 2021 at 5:44 pm

In this video at time 17:20, Armstrong talks about production rate. The start date may differ from when this video was recorded. It does show they expect to be at full production rate in 6 months from when they start.

He also mentions producing a vehicle every 3 minutes. That is a higher rate then their most recently published rate of 10,000 per year.

https://youtu.be/zx3dHwxalr4?t=1040

• David Marlow

September 14, 2021 at 6:48 pm

This info will not affect beta.

• David Marlow

September 14, 2021 at 7:04 pm

While the info I have confirms Aptera’s earlier hints of possible supplier problems, the source is also very confident that these problems will be resolved by summer.

• Henry Kitt

September 14, 2021 at 8:00 pm

Do you know if there’s still confidence in delta vehicle completion in 2021?

Viewing 1 - 15 of 15 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now