Deer strike result

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Deer strike result

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Deer strike result

• Deer strike result

Harry Parker updated 3 weeks, 5 days ago 10 Members · 16 Posts
  • Peter Dezendorf

November 10, 2021 at 11:24 am

Here in the Mid-Atlantic part of the USA we have too many deer. And we occasionally hit one (I’ve done that).

What happens to an Aptera vehicle if it hits a deer?

• Curtis Cibinel

November 10, 2021 at 11:33 am

Get safety pilot (level 2 autonomy) for automatic breaking and hope you don’t hit it. The shell can take minor impacts without damage but if you hit it at more than 10mph it would be very tricky to repair (basically replace major body pieces)

• BRUCE MENGLER

November 10, 2021 at 11:46 am

Attach a deer whistle to the vehicle so they hear you coming & can avoid you.

• Curtis Cibinel

November 10, 2021 at 11:49 am

Good catch. I have put those on every vehicle I’ve had for the last 25 years.

• Lou Verner

November 10, 2021 at 12:58 pm

And they work??? Always thought was bogus. Will have to get as I’ve had one deer hit me almost at dead stop and still did $1K damage. Thanks for recommendation!

• BRUCE MENGLER

November 10, 2021 at 1:04 pm

It is like giving chicken soup to a dead man. It can’t hurt & just might help.
          I have friends who live in Northern rural Wisconsin who swear by them.

• kerbe2705

November 10, 2021 at 11:30 pm
        • Joshua Caldwell

November 11, 2021 at 5:32 am

The deer whistles you can’t hear are a bogus advertisement, deer can only hear what humans can hear, so you have to be able to hear it for them to hear it.

• Harry Parker

November 11, 2021 at 1:45 pm

The last report I read, a few years ago now, said that yes, the deer can hear them. However, they are just as likely to stop dead in the road and listen to you coming! No statistical study has shown they reduce collisions. 😕

• Peter Jorgensen

November 10, 2021 at 1:13 pm

Nose cone is plastic – Crumplezone structure behind that – then the much stronger passenger cell. The front suspension, pants, nose, etc are all easily replaceable in a few hours. The body itself is built like a boat – hard fiberglass shell. You can’t ding it with a sledgehammer. So, hitting it with a deer probably isn’t going to total the body, although you might have to replace the windshield and various front end components. In terms of simplicity Apterae have a fraction of the parts of a traditional automobile, and they are a lot more resilient to impact and easier to replace quickly with wrenches. Additionally, since there isn’t a dirty engine everything is clean and easy to work on.

• Peter Dezendorf

November 11, 2021 at 7:05 am

How strong is the windshield?

• Peter Jorgensen

November 11, 2021 at 7:22 am

Standard automotive glass. No different than your average car. But the A pillars should be pretty strong…

• Richard Marks

November 10, 2021 at 7:14 pm

If body is damaged , even slightly , will that destroy the cooling fluid tubes that lies under the skin of body?

• Oz Man

November 10, 2021 at 7:23 pm

The animated representation that was shown at one point was just to get the idea across I believe. The cooling channels will likely be only in a limited area of the belly

• kerbe2705

November 10, 2021 at 11:27 pm

As Oz Man said, only the belly of the beast will serve as a radiator. The cooling surface is more-or-less within the red oval…

• Peter Jorgensen

November 11, 2021 at 7:23 am

That’s my understanding too – it’s just within the belly. So the only thing to worry about is if you high-center it violently on a sharp rock.

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now