Daymak’s Spiritus

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Daymak’s Spiritus

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Daymak’s Spiritus

• Daymak’s Spiritus

George Hughes updated 1 week ago 8 Members · 11 Posts
  • Trevor Fernandes

October 12, 2021 at 11:29 am

Another electric autocycle priced lower than Aptera’s EV’s further validating my point that in order to stay competitive, Aptera must bring something more to the table than just being highly efficient. I know it’s much more than but but in my opinion it may not be enough. The flood gates are opening real quick.

https://cleantechnica.com/2021/10/11/daymaks-spiritus-ev-has-1-billion-in-pre-order-commitments/amp/

• Joshua Rosen

October 12, 2021 at 11:46 am

Something smells. They are claiming $1B in commitments, not reservations they use the word commitments. There is NFW they have committed preorders of $1B. The other thing that smells is that the range in price for the vehicle is $20K to $150K, that makes no sense, it’s admission that it’s nothing more than a marketing brochure.

• Davis Edwards

October 12, 2021 at 12:07 pm

Interesting to read about some Aptera competition. I think the efficiency aspect is huge, as it contributes to the Aptera being a “never charge” electric car. In the Daymak interview, he is targetting 15km or 9mi from solar charging. Being able to get 20 to 40+ miles with the Aptera is a huge factor because of the extreme efficiency of the car. I have never heard of Daymak, but it is impressive if they have sold 100,000 electric vehicles (mostly 2-wheeled) over the past decade. However, hearing about the asperations for the car mining crypto, seeing the renderings, and pricing from $20k to $149k?! I’m not holding my breath, here’s one picture I found of the real prototype.

• John Malcom

October 12, 2021 at 12:27 pm

To say these guys are a little light on substantive technology collateral on their vehicle may be one of the biggest understatements in the world. They have been around a long time making bikes but not sure they are competent to transition to engineering and production of auto like EVs.

Here is a big red flag. The Spiritus is is not eligible for the deposit rebate.

Deliveries in 2023 but no information on manufacturing facilities.

And less than appealing appearance. Another understatement.

• Henry Kitt

October 12, 2021 at 1:05 pm

I’ve researched their $1 billion worth of reservation claim or whatever. They actually have 6 vehicles they take reservations for, and they made it seem that all of them would be released in 2021. This includes a VTOL aircraft for $250k with autonomous driving. I chatted with them and they say 3-4 years on that now, which is still far fetched.

There is actually only one vehicle slated to come out in a reasonable time frame, in 2023, but there’s no prototype and no funding to go into production. And that vehicle has a special version that looks the same that costs mind bogglingly more.

Aptera has proper solar range and proper storing capacity, and better range and 0-60 than the Daymak. The Sondors EV, both the old design and new design, has a better chance and would be a better vehicle than the Daymak, but it also pales in comparison to the Aptera. Aptera needs to be compared to 4 wheel cars because nothing will ever match it in the 3 wheel segment.

• John Malcom

October 12, 2021 at 6:43 pm

Thanks for going the extra mile and doing the research to validate other observations of their dodgy behavior

• Peter Jorgensen

October 12, 2021 at 1:14 pm

Range. Aptera brings range to the table.

• Trevor Fernandes

October 12, 2021 at 1:41 pm

Everyone, thanksfor your input. I’ve never doubted that Aptera’s EVs are superior than the other startups. I’m waiting eagerly to get my hands on one. Many have advised against getting a SEV since I live in Vancouver, BC. However, I’m curious to find out for myself what kind of range (solar recharging) I would get in a region that’s not known to get as much solar energy throughout the year.

• Peter Jorgensen

October 12, 2021 at 2:04 pm

Aptera is fine to get – Just don’t expect the solar to be a silver bullet. Buy it for the efficient car. Solar is a cherry on the cake – that’s all. Charge it like you would any other EV and you’ll be happy.

• Paul Schultz

October 12, 2021 at 8:05 pm

Sondors, another ebike maker, has a 3-wheel prototype autocycle as well….

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdyjJTEwWsY

• George Hughes

October 12, 2021 at 11:25 pm

My impression of the Daymak and/or Sondor is they are not going to be nearly as ‘safe’ as the Aptera; that being a major consideration on my part.

While I await the results of crash testing the beta vehicles for confirmation, I’m a lot more comfortable with the composite monocoque body and its inherent strength than I am with the welded steel tubular frame on the Daymak. The idea that an idiot could literally impact the rear drive wheel on the Sondors and over-ride into the back of whatever cabin it has, gives me the willies.

Said differently, the idea of a monocoque ‘formula one’ type passenger cabin vs. a space-framed steel car with a roll-cage does not appeal to me given the relative safety records of stock cars vs. F1 over the past three decades.

BTW: I don’t think bicycle – even E-bike makers – have anything in their culture that would lift safety to the levels I expect. And, you do have to know that ‘small cars’ literally have to be designed for safety … that being one of the aspects of the otherwise extremely small Smart car platform that has resulted in that production design (A really special passenger cocoon) that made it possible to sell over a one million cars in the past two decades.

The Daymak and Sondors doesn’t compete with the Aptera; they compete with the Polaris slingshot.

Viewing 1 - 9 of 9 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now