Cupholders

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Cupholders

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Cupholders

• Steve L

August 28, 2021 at 9:39 am

I’m guessing that the cupholders have not been finalized. I think most people use these giant insulated steel water bottles these days. None of car manufacturers make chocolate big enough. They are off by just 1cm diameter. Please make the cupholders big enough to accommodate these large steel water bottles.

• Kenneth Bolinsky

August 28, 2021 at 9:57 am

So far as I’m concerned, NO manufacturer makes chocolate big enough!

• Ozman

August 28, 2021 at 10:26 am

@Ken Bolinsky, Once again, the lack of a like button in these forums, is most deeply felt. (Oh, by the way, Bwahahahahahahaha!} ((I truly hope Steve doesn’t find the edit function)) (((Steve, if you do, don’t you dare remove the original, just make an addendum.)))

• Kenneth Bolinsky

September 8, 2021 at 7:48 pm

Chocolate is toxic to all mammals – it’s just a question of dosage. The terminal dose for a human is 21 lbs. This is why I’m always careful to never eat more than 20 lbs. in one sitting.

• Charles Overbeck

August 28, 2021 at 11:31 am

Cupholders are a big deal that I don’t think enough car manufacturers take seriously enough. With the addition of camera technology, it as one of the highest considerations for my wife’s recent SUV purchase.

Where are the located and are they big enough for my containers? I too love to use Customized Tervis Steel Water bottles and it is absolutely critical that 2 of those can fit in the center console as is.

• John Schwartz

September 6, 2021 at 12:22 pm

I keep at least two steel water bottles in my vehicles at all times. The narrow bottles fit in most cup holders just fine. What I really want is the ability to store the bottles in or near the doors. My GMC Canyon has this feature, and while it is in all ways the most perfect vehicle I’ve ever owned, these door side bottle holders are one of my favorite features. I really hate having cups or bottles in the center console as they’re always in the way, or falling over. Speaking of which, deeper holders, intended for bottles would be fabulous!

• Kenneth Bolinsky

September 8, 2021 at 7:45 pm

Consider, though, how the doors of the Aptera open: A bottle in the door would most likely fall out onto the ground as the door tilted up…

• John Schwartz

September 10, 2021 at 2:00 pm

Yeah, that’s why I said “in or near” the doors. At first I didn’t see how it would work in those doors, but thinking about it again, if the bottle was normally tilted toward the back of the car with the door closed, I think it would actually work just fine. As the door opened, it would just go upright, or slightly past in the other direction. As with the door holders on my truck it does require a pocket a little deeper than your typical center console cup holder. These are designed specifically for water bottles after all, and not multi-purpose.

• Wayne Saewyc

September 7, 2021 at 8:56 pm

Well, allow me to buck the trend.

Not everyone wants super-size-me cup holders, or even holders large enough for the current standard plastic pop bottles in the USA. While occasionally annoying, the EU standard-size cup holders in my current vehicle have worked well enough for 5 years. Most importantly: no stains on the leather or carpet from massive beverage dumps.

But also, it was such a small effort for me to adapt to the vehicle! I now have a pair of ceramic travel cups which fit perfectly, a cute little electric cooler for the slim cans and bottles which fit for road trips (and which gets a lot of comments.) And the smugness of a uniquely customized road beverage experience.

• John Malcom

September 7, 2021 at 9:31 pm

Go Wayne! Bask in your smugness. We don’t need gigantic holes in the interior of our vehicles

• my_discord_number_is_0328 bloody stupid

September 8, 2021 at 10:28 am

how about replace dashboard with a crash structural bar on which optional accessory holders can be brought to screw clamp objects like extra screen, variable width plastic cup holder, etc. it can also have storage net that ties objects to the walls of car or in a spider web like net that is held between the structural bar and the front edges of the car. tie down mechanism can be a sweater hoodie tightener type thing and maybe reusable durable grocery bags can have such structure to hold things together so they dont fall out of the bag when car moves around especially in sporty driving. the back of seats can have such nets to make use of the vertical space and seat fold down for big object. when storage not needed, there isnt need to make horizontal cabin space for cup holder, inside door storage etc, and nets allow storing objects where it doesnt interfere with user space as user wants.

i rerember toyota sold reusable grocery bags at dealership so people wouldnt buy those one time use plastic bags in the name of enviroment.

• Peter Jorgensen

September 8, 2021 at 2:29 pm

I like the normal-sized cupholders but I do like having many of them. I like putting my drinks in the back-seat cupholders (behind the center console) so I can put all my other random stuff in the front of the center console, then I don’t perpetually bump my drinks with my arm.

With Aptera and no back seat I’ll just have to live with front cupholders.

• Kenneth Bolinsky

September 8, 2021 at 7:53 pm

Many vehicles come with large cupholders these days – usually with some sort of adjustable tensioner to hold smaller bottles and cups. My 2018 Honda Clarity, for instance, has massive cupholders that can easily swallow 1 litre bottles – but they also have spring-loaded rims and flip-down “ledges” to hold smaller and/or shorter bottles and/or cups.

I’m not certain of how the designer intends us to use the snap-on zippered pouch on the lower console, but I’d be happy see cupholders in that location…

• Charles Overbeck

September 8, 2021 at 10:16 pm

I agree Ken that the designer made something look nice that is missing critical functionality. Bring me 2 large center console cup holders and storage area between the seats. If the fabric is just there before the grand reveal of the center console adjustable cupholders then I will certainly tip my hat to them.

• Kenneth Bolinsky

September 10, 2021 at 3:50 pm

The Aptera will attract a great deal of onlooker interest – and temptation: Having something “lumpy” in a zippered pouch might be too much for some people to resist. I’ve had a window smashed out of my car because there was a quarter lying on the floormat…

If the zipper opens to reveal that it’s covering cupholders, that’s kinda cool and interesting!

• my_discord_number_is_0328 bloody stupid

September 11, 2021 at 6:44 pm

weathertech solar window covers help keep out solar heat when car parked for long time, so dont have to roll down windows in rain or turn up AC as much which decreases driving range, as well as hide stuff in car that would otherwise be enough encouragement for people to break into car. i think its worth it if cars automatically pulled up solar shades similar to how new cars automatically lock when user is away from them given how much battery life and fuel cost one can save with using AC less. weathertech claims theirs also helps with heat insulation in cold, if such thing were built into car these effects could be improved on vs aftermarket stuff. solar protection also keeps interior in better quality especially leather stuff. its weird that luxry cars dont have this feature at least in what i’ve seen, and yet they have shit like electronic “soft close doors” and massive touch screen only controls.

tint can do what solar window cover does to a much lesser extent but you dont have to set it up after parking. such maybe “good enough” but im sure solar window covers are still worth it, especially as higher tint levels are illegal in at least America and laws differ state to state https://www.raynofilm.com/blog/automotive-window-tint-laws-by-state

although this could be solar panels i dont know how much such would pay off in money or the environmental lifecycle issue.

electronically deployed stuff like electric seat adjusters are to be avoided b/c it s usually more expensive, its often slower to use (like seat adjusters, automatic trunk closers/openers), some functions need to work in case of electronics being fried like door locks and openers in case of a car crash, historically electrics are not as reliable which hurts insurance estimates, and even this small thing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaZ_RSt0KP8 requires redundancy to add to the already increased monetary cost.

<font face=”inherit”> solar cover design that </font>doesn’t<font face=”inherit”> need user to setup covers at every window: a cover thats stored in a roll and moves on rails (rails are built into car if window suction cups cant resist being melted in sun) and the chain that slides on rails can be pulled/pushed by hand. one end of the cover is held in place, the other is moved to cover or to uncover and compact into a roll that sits behind a window pillar.</font>

I have had a plastic suction cup (that many of these products use) melt in the sun, so check the product reviews. my suction cup was for a phone holder. i think dark colored suction cup may have advantage over clear colored ones, similar to how dark skinned people last longer in the sun before sunburn.

Viewing 1 - 9 of 9 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now