Cold weather; doors and weather stripping

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Cold weather; doors and weather stripping

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Cold weather; doors and weather stripping

• Cold weather; doors and weather stripping

John Malcom updated 1 month ago 7 Members · 9 Posts
  • Peter Robbinson

August 18, 2021 at 12:55 pm

Hi, I’m wondering if the doors have been tested in cold weather, specifically if they will stay open at -30C for example. I’m in northern Ontario and gas cylinder assisted doors and hatches can be problematic. As well, I’ve encountered weather stripping on doors and windows freezing and sticking on several vehicles I’ve owned.

In general with regards to the door design I’m not that enthusiastic. I would prefer something along the lines of a minvan side door type of opening. I think it would be more stable and provide even better access.

• Bob Kirchner Kirchner

August 18, 2021 at 1:55 pm

As a former Ottawa resident, I can relate. Most gas strut systems work in the cold initially, but when they begin to lose pressure, cold weather is when they will fail first.

I hope that the door design positions the struts so that they have good leverage to support the door. I also hope that the design specifies a fairly commonly available strut, so that they can be easily replaced when they fail.

As for sliding doors, I think the problem would be that the necessary tracks for the door would have a huge impact on the aerodynamic drag of the car, which is the car’s secret sauce, so to speak.

For sticking weatherstripping, I have found that an annual spray-down with silicone lubricant works wonders to prevent freezing in place.

• Raj Giandeep

August 18, 2021 at 3:20 pm

You could plan ahead & pre-heat the car. To melt the ice perhaps.

• John Malcom

August 18, 2021 at 6:37 pm

Bob is right. Sliding doors would negatively impact aerodynamics, one of the things (I guess secret sauce is a good term) we all like.

Additionally, we are way past the point where an engineering change such as you would like to see would be in the first production Aptera.

I think the engineering team is excellent and I am confident that they will engineer the doors (Along with help from Roche) such that they are as good or better than a standard door in all kinds of climatic conditions.

• my_discord_number_is_0328 bloody stupid

August 20, 2021 at 8:25 pm

how about the sliding mechanism is on the inside rather than outside, part of mechanism can also act as armrest, i saw video showing quite a lot of space between occupant and inside wall of door for the sliding rail system.

instead of solid hinge or minivan sliding rail i prefer simply rope strap so user doesnt have to carry/drop the door off car, and a mechanical lock to keep door tightly attached to car considering thermal insulation as usual. in older forum (which i hear has been archived at aptera) i made up a purely mechanical system rather than electronic with this door idea(its been long and i dont have it with me now but aptera hopefully will see it eventually in archives). mechanical system is better than electronic b/c if electronics are fried in a crash, mechanical system will allow opening door without needing to break glass (there was consideration to use polycarbonate or some aircraft style plastic with a similar name rather than normal glass, which would be very difficult to break through vs normal glass)

• John Malcom

August 20, 2021 at 9:48 pm

Engineering is complete for the Betas and they have started the build process for them. Rouche (SP?) assisted in the design so the team is confident that they will function well. Once built I am sure they will report on the door testing as designed.

• Gary Johnston

August 19, 2021 at 2:28 pm

Use silicone, once a month.

• kerbe2705

August 19, 2021 at 5:54 pm

At present there are only three alpha-level prototypes – essentially “proof of concept” models. They are not the actual vehicle that will eventually be built – they’re not even made of the same materials. Any testing done on them would be moot.

Vehicle designs, traditionally, go through four levels of prototyping. Right now Aptera is building the molds from which the beta prototype bodies will be pulled – and working with suppliers to create components for the vehicle that will be closer (if not identical) to those that will go into production vehicles.

Endurance testing is usually carried-out using the gamma (production intent) prototypes as they have nearly all of the finalized systems intact – although they’re still mostly hand-built. The delta (production ready) prototypes are the first to be built using the actual “assembly line”.

• Peter Robbinson

August 20, 2021 at 8:12 am

The replies have been great, thanks. With regards to the doors, I was thinking more along the lines of what’s used on an airline. The door on the Aptera certainly would be light enough to not require too heavy a hinge. If you need a cold weather tester I’m available 😉

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now