Close, Mercedes – but no cigar…

Aptera Community Solar EV Industry News Close, Mercedes – but no cigar…

Aptera Community Solar EV Industry News Close, Mercedes – but no cigar…

• Close, Mercedes – but no cigar…

• kerbe2705

November 25, 2021 at 6:32 pm
  • John Malcom

November 25, 2021 at 7:38 pm

Daimler is working with the BYD battery group on the project t

• Wilson Tsai

November 25, 2021 at 9:10 pm

Wonder if it’s also a 3 wheeler?

• Joshua Rosen

November 26, 2021 at 7:17 am

Zero chance of that, it will still be a luxury car with four wheels. Mercedes doesn’t need to be nearly as efficient as an Aptera they just need to be more efficient than they are now. If they could get to 5 miles/KWh and put in a 120KWh usable battery they can reach their goal which is excessive anyway, 500 miles of real world range is as much as you can use, anything more than that is a waste.

The EQS has a 108KWh battery, they say this car’s battery will have a 20% bump in density which would put it at 129KWh, that’s right in line with my 120KWh usable statement above.

• Joel Smith

November 25, 2021 at 9:20 pm

The more vehicles on offer with genuinely improved efficiency the better. The more common trend of putting ever larger batteries in ever larger vehicles is not sustainable.

• kerbe2705

November 25, 2021 at 9:58 pm

I could not agree more about the need for greater efficiency.

This article makes it sound as if they’re planning to put a VERY large, very energy-dense battery pack in the vehicle.

• Robert Klasson

November 26, 2021 at 2:34 am

I think they could give Aptera a run for their money. The article states single digit kWh/100 km numbers at highway speeds. The Aptera is expected to get around 6 kWh/100 km. If Mercedes can get below 10 kWh/100 km in a four/five-seater, that’s actually more efficient per seat (and would imply a battery no larger than the 1000 mile Aptera).

• Curtis Cibinel

November 26, 2021 at 12:52 pm

Great to see others going for high efficiency. We definitely don’t know it will have 4-5 seats nothing revealed makes that clear. It definitely looks like a 2 door from this picture in this article. Obviously if they are working with BYD then it will be LFP so they will have more weight which would make the efficiency still fairly impressive even if its only a 2 seater.

https://electrek.co/2021/07/22/mercedes-benz-teases-super-efficient-electric-car/

It will be undoubtedly expensive being Mercedes-Benz but if they advertise this car Aptera is the natural competition to compare to. Given its 4 wheels Mercedes-Benz will be able to say they have the worlds most aerodynamic production car since technically Aptera isn’t a car.

• Robert Klasson

November 26, 2021 at 2:52 pm

Your right, nothing definitive about the number of seats in the article, just compact class EV. Most compact EV’s are five-seaters, so I think that is the most likely configuration, but it doesn’t exclude 2-seaters. I guess we’ll know January 3:rd.

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now