Charging Port in Snow

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Charging Port in Snow

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Charging Port in Snow

• Charging Port in Snow

• Carl Knapp

November 1, 2021 at 12:03 am

In talking to people that live in snowy icy climates with no garage they tell me if you do not have a cover over the charging port you may run into issues removing the plug after an ice storm. Have others ever run into this issue? I wonder how Aptera will address this issue if the plugs are located upfront. Will they offer a boot as one of my friends bought for her Chevy Bolt?

• Llewellyn Evans

November 1, 2021 at 3:09 am

Hi Carl, It would be an easy thing to design and 3d print in TPU rubber …. if it did not come as an option from Aptera right away.

• Paul Schultz

November 1, 2021 at 3:19 am

This is a good point! I have a cover for my Chevy Volt’s charging port for this concern. It is a sleeve that goes over the J1772 connector and after making a connection has a magnetic rim that seals the sleeve against the body. Since the Aptera body is not steel they would need to devise a method for making a similar seal. This type of sealing cover is a popular strategy for keeping the connector from icing stuck and should be considered by Aptera.

• Leonard Nowak

November 1, 2021 at 5:19 am

Hi

I have seen Noir and Sol. Noir, Sol and Luna have their charge port under the rear motorcycle-size license plate which flips up, so that offers “some protection”

We will have to follow is the beta /future production intent vehicle changes

• Joshua Rosen

November 1, 2021 at 6:14 am

I keep my car under a car cover. I’ve cut a flap for the charging port, the fabric from the flap covers the top of the charging cable. That’s worked fine for me. On Tesla’s the bigger problem is the windows which have to roll down to open the doors, I use a silicone/teflon spray on the gaskets as well as around the charge door to keep them from freezing shut. Aptera doors work in a completely different manner than Tesla’s so that won’t be a problem. I also preheat my car before getting in, you can do that with the Tesla App, that’s a feature that Aptera should absolutely copy.

• Robert Klasson

November 1, 2021 at 6:46 am

We’ve had our Zoe for three winters, and we haven’t had any issues with stuck charge plugs. Maybe the type 2 (mennekes) plug we have here in Europe is less prone to get stuck than the type 1 (J1772) plug.

The only issues we’ve had is snow collecting around the rim of the socket, preventing full insertion and locking of the plug at the next charge occasion, but that was easily fixed by just removing the snow.

• Tyson Honeyfield

November 10, 2021 at 1:45 pm

I think this is a great question, particularly for those who have never owned a plug-in vehicle.

My 2-cents. I live in Montana, I’ve had a Volt for years. It was a concern initially but to be perfectly honest, the biggest problem I’ve ever faced was snow & ice accumulation that prevented me from closing the charging port door. If what Leonard saw makes it to production, I think the Aptera will be better protected from the weather than what Chevy provided me.

In either case, whether it is snow clogging up the whole port or ice freezing the handle in place the aftermarket folks have always made options or if you’re cheap like me you can cut out a little cardboard nook for your handle.😅 I did that until I was happy with a design then just bought a sheet of coroplast and did the same. $5 fix.

Viewing 1 - 7 of 7 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now