Charge port location

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Charge port location

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Charge port location

• Charge port location

• Joshua Rosen

September 12, 2021 at 9:18 am

Please put the charge port on the front of the car not the back, preferably on the front drivers side as it was on the Volt. I find backing my Tesla into a Supercharger spot very difficult, backing into a parking spot is just not natural.

• John Malcom

September 12, 2021 at 10:45 am

The engineering is complete for the Betas. The charge port is on the back. I do not believe that will change in any of the successive prototypes or production

• kerbe2705

September 12, 2021 at 11:59 am

If they need to switch to a CCS port (and they’ve often stated that Aptera will have CCS charging), a CCS port will require enlarging the tail area to accommodate its size: A standard CCS port is about 134 mm tall while the Tesla port is only 63 mm.

• Michael May

September 12, 2021 at 10:59 am

Aptera has stated that they are moving charge port to the frunk.

• John Malcom

September 12, 2021 at 11:10 am

If they have so stated, I stand corrected and will annotate my diagram

• kerbe2705

September 12, 2021 at 11:38 am

Actually, I believe Nathan said they were considering moving it to the front – where there is plenty of vacant real estate. Doing so will also save the weight of running heavy copper cables from the tail of the vehicle up to the front, where the power electronics are housed.

• kerbe2705

September 12, 2021 at 12:07 pm

There is an issue with placing a charging port on the Aptera’s front flank: To have sufficient real estate for a port and cover mechanism, the location would need to be more-or-less behind the wheel pant. You’d need to reach over or around the wheel to connect the charging cable and DC cables are notoriously heavy and not exactly flexible…

• Henry Kitt

September 12, 2021 at 2:06 pm

If they enlarged the logo on the nose it could be placed there, but that’s unlikely. Though a door could be created on the nose in front of the frunk latch (having the entire black part lift up so it looks exactly the same as it does now). That would be better aesthetically as well, than having a door on the side. However, I’m not sure if that would have a negative effect on crumple zones.

I doubt the car has a real frunk by the way, that area will likely house all of the necessary components and reserve the back of the car for all of the storage. But we’ll see…

• kerbe2705

September 12, 2021 at 5:00 pm

We’ve been told more than once that there won’t be a frunk: All the HVAC and power electronics are under the hood.

Nissan’s Leaf and ENV200 have always had nose-charging – as do the Kia Niro-EV and Soul EV, the Hyundai Kona-EV, the Renault Zoe-ev, etc. I’m guessing it’s not an issue if that’s what you want to do.

• Henry Kitt

September 12, 2021 at 5:26 pm

Some if not all of those cars have noticeable charge port doors, which looks bad. That top part of the nose would make it not noticeable, would be ideal, though I don’t really intend to charge often at all.

• kerbe2705

September 12, 2021 at 6:50 pm

Bad design isn’t a feature of nose-charging – but it seems to be prevalent. I like the Renault version – with the port behind the logo.

• Joshua Rosen

September 12, 2021 at 4:08 pm

On the nose would be fine, put it under the logo.

• John Malcom

September 12, 2021 at 7:50 pm

A lot of varied opinions on where the charging port will or should be!

I dont know where or even when it will be determined. It may already be as part of Beta engineering. Or yet to be determined in a later prototype.

I do know how and the most important criteria. It will be determined by the multidisplinary engineering team based on the most efficient location. I trust them to make that determination

We will know during an update at an appropriate time or in the users manual for the version we order. I trust them to locate it in the best overall space.

For me, not a deal breaker no matter where it ends up

• Robert Klasson

September 13, 2021 at 1:40 am

I prefer to have the charging port front and center. I’m used to parking nose first, and most destination chargers where we live have two sockets and are located in the inner corner between two parking spot servicing both. Having the charging port front and center makes it easily accessable no matter which side the changer is on. I would have no problem backing into a parking spot to charge though if they decide to keep the charging port in the rear.

I’m not worried that the charging port will look bad. They have to make it follow the shape of the vehicle not to disturb the aerodynamics, so it should be easily hidden by making the cover the same color as the surrounding panels.

• Riley _

September 13, 2021 at 5:44 am

I’ve never had an issue with backing my tesla into a supercharger or any of my other vehicles backing into parking spaces. Aptera is a different story all together with it having 3 wheels and narrowing towards the back of the car it makes more sense to put a charging connection at the front so that the car is less likely to get hit by other parking cars.

• John Tyler

September 13, 2021 at 11:16 am

Backing into parking spots is the safest way to park as then you are not backing out into traffic, the street, a parking lot, from a garage…just place it where it is most efficient.

• Robert Klasson

September 13, 2021 at 2:21 pm

You are of course correct John. Parking accidents seems to be one of the most common types of accidents, and more accidents occurs while driving in reverse than driving forward. It’s hard to find any statistics on how most parking accidents occur however, but backing out into traffic from a parking spot should be one of the more risky things you can do. I’m uncertain of how dangerous it is to back into a parking spot, though it’s probably safer than backing out into traffic since there should be less potentially moving objects involved.

Viewing 1 - 9 of 9 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now