Camping/Tent Kit option

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Camping/Tent Kit option

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Camping/Tent Kit option

• Camping/Tent Kit option

Posted by catahoula_dad on August 16, 2021 at 3:54 pm

Will the camping kit tent cover the solar cells on the hatch when in use ?

• This discussion was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by  John Trotter.
    • This discussion was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by  John Trotter. Reason: Title expanded for search clarity
    • This discussion was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by  Gabriel Kemeny.
    lee-janes replied 11 months, 4 weeks ago 15 Members · 21 Replies
  • 21 Replies
  • Camping/Tent Kit option

lee-janes updated 11 months, 4 weeks ago 15 Members · 21 Replies
  • camille-mosley-pasley

August 16, 2021 at 3:54 pm

Are there any videos showing how the camping kit is set up? How much space does it take up when not in use? Is it permanently attached/embedded or can it be removed from the car when not needed? How much does it weigh? Can you drive with it set up or does it need to collapse to drive? Are there security features to lock it while sleeping or if you’re away from the vehicle?

• Biker

August 16, 2021 at 4:27 pm

About all of the info known is in the Sol launch video.

• OZ.

August 16, 2021 at 5:06 pm

1. Not yet

2. Unknown at this time

3. No / Yes removeable

4. Unknown at this time

5. Not bloody likely, or at least safely / You should collapse it to drive

6. Unlikely

• fanfare-100

August 16, 2021 at 6:25 pm

Hi Camille, The video of where they take the Aptera to the edge of the cliff has a prototype of the camping option, but I believe that it is an early prototype: https://youtu.be/V17meWEKSik?t=60 It looked very thin and flimsy, but it introduced us to its potential. The original renditions showed something much more sturdy and durable. The mesh in the video was also not tight enough to keep noseeums out. Also, unless they make a hard-shell option, I would not drive with it on. And if you do, don;t be surprised if you see your mileage range plummet because of the air drag you would create. The only security features I might imagine would be if they came up with an harder shell option. But regular tents are only as secure as the tent itself. I doubt the end-product will be made of Kevlar, but I do expect it to be of a sturdy and durable material that will last for a very long time and be appealing to the camper’s eye and in a variety of colours that should at least not clash with the three main colours which are being offered at the present. Conceptual renditions of the ones which seem more durable and longer-lasting are in these attached pictures.

• OZ.

August 16, 2021 at 8:24 pm

Aptera has verified that the portion of the tent over the hatch will be clear to either allow the solar to charge, or if you don’t have the hatch solar, to allow you to see the stars.

• len

August 17, 2021 at 8:36 am

Yes, I have seen the orange tent on the Sol

Clear top panel!

• len

August 17, 2021 at 8:49 am

I saw it in June, at an event they had.

It was just tossed easily into place to quickly shiw some curious guests…

Flexible straps and soft water resistant material ( I imagine) , like a basic tent. I would call it a sock tent in some regards.

You see it here just tossed in place and sitting in the the cargo area when they took it off.

As mentioned the Aptera viddis show it properly placed/ secured. Prototype or production unit? I do not know????

No I would not even think of driving with it.

• Biker

September 2, 2021 at 6:24 am
  • vernon-sinnott

July 14, 2022 at 8:23 pm

I saw a video showing the Aptera tent that suggested it would leak and was ill fitted (not like the rendering). It showed open mesh. Would zippered flaps cover the mesh up like in a normal tent? Will it fit tightly enough to prevent leaks into the interior of the vehicle?

• 993cc

July 15, 2022 at 3:29 am

The tent they have been showing is really just a prototype for marketing purposes. Hopefully more thought will go into the production version.

• paul-schultz

September 11, 2022 at 3:54 pm

They should work with PaHaQue. This is a company that specializes in RV canopies and is located in Poway, CA… very close to Aptera. PaHaQue makes quality, specialized products and have the expertise needed to develop something that would work well with the Aptera.

https://pahaque.com/

• glen-flint

September 11, 2022 at 2:51 pm

This video suggests some improvements are needed.

https://youtu.be/HT-l_5PNCS4https://youtu.be/HT-l_5PNCS4

• thom

October 14, 2022 at 6:57 pm

That’s an understatement, especially given the price ($600).

The more functional Habitent shown in the video costs $99.

• curtis-cibinel

October 14, 2022 at 7:19 pm

Given the ample storage it is probably better to just buy a good tent and take it along with all your gear in the vehicle. You can buy a pretty nice multiroom tent or multiple good ultralight tents for $600 USD. Its a nice toy but will be very expensive for the utility it provides due to low volume of units produced.

• Biker

January 22, 2023 at 11:29 am

The Aptera render staff might be the busiest at this time – another from Jason Hill:

• fanfare-100

January 23, 2023 at 9:26 pm

Me wonders what the drag coefficient is like in this config? ;-P

• Biker

January 27, 2023 at 12:25 pm

Jason Hill posted this with the tag: More to come for the tent/camping package.

• craig-merrow

January 28, 2023 at 3:49 pm

Looks more refined on Delta… I might have to reconsider this!

• UnidentifiedDrivingObject

January 28, 2023 at 9:53 pm

Time to go Glamping, in an Aptera.

I just added this fun option, to my pre order. Since I have the Off Road Kit previously added anyways. Why not, right?

I wonder if the tent would have a zippered flap, to access the NACS port..

or to reply.