Body in White

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Body in White

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Body in White

• Body in White

GREG MIRICH updated 3 weeks ago 4 Members · 7 Posts
  • Michael Rennick

October 4, 2021 at 12:48 pm

Aptera has released its latest Makers Series video. It’s fantastic. The focus is on the body/composite engineers who are helping to make the car a reality.

https://youtu.be/z9WtRNtyFew

Back in a previous role I led a team of composite engineers at a major airline. I really appreciate the work that is going on at Aptera and the challenges that Anusha and John must be facing. These two fit the mold (ha – composites joke there) of a good composites engineer. Creative and determined to get it right.

I wish more people understood the craft needed to get a good composites product. There are so many variables to keep track of and so many ways it can go wrong, but when it goes right they are amazing materials to work with.

• Peter Jorgensen

October 4, 2021 at 1:32 pm

Former aerospace composites engineer here – Yep. Would love to see more of the molds and composite parts in the future!

• kerbe2705

October 4, 2021 at 2:41 pm

There are images of the molds used for the alpha prototypes floating around…

• Peter Jorgensen

October 4, 2021 at 3:12 pm

I want to see the beta molds! I already have pictures on my computer of alpha molds. I’m impatient I guess.

These are from the Alphas:

• GREG MIRICH

October 5, 2021 at 10:45 am

After watching the body in white video, I am a little confused. Will the basic body shell and other composite pieces be constructed with a white Gell coat?

• Peter Jorgensen

October 5, 2021 at 11:51 am

Probably no gelcoat – it adds weight. Most likely just like the alphas – with straight fiberglass and maybe sealant or pigment in the composite or some sort of coating like that. Here’s Sol:

• GREG MIRICH

October 5, 2021 at 11:58 am

Pigment in the composite would be a logical choice.

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now