Axial flux

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Axial flux

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Axial flux

• Axial flux

Fanfare 100 updated 5 days, 18 hours ago 10 Members · 16 Posts
  • Mario Chabot

October 2, 2021 at 2:15 pm

Is the in-wheel motor a radial flux type?

• Paul Schultz

October 2, 2021 at 5:44 pm

I’m not sure. But, you can check out the options on the elaphe site. The M700 matches the Aptera specs.

https://in-wheel.com/en/solutions-2/direct-drive-in-wheel-motors/

• Ken Bolinsky

October 2, 2021 at 9:40 pm

I’ve found several sources that mention Elaphe as a maker of radial flux motors – it is the most common type for in-wheel mounting.

• John Malcom

October 3, 2021 at 12:03 am

Mario, a good question. I assumed Elaphe made only radial flux motors since their top of the line 1500 is a radial flux. As pointed out, Aptera is using the 700 model. There is a possibility that it is axial flux, but I would bet radial flux like the 1500. Aptera is asking Elaphe to make some modifications to their standard motor for use in the Aptera. It would be unlikely that would include making it axial flux if it isn’t already.

Both configurations have advantages and disadvantages for EV in wheel motors. The Aptera engineers have done extensive research to select a motor vendor and to specify alterations to the standard design to make the most efficient Aptera performance. Many factors, not just the flux design advantages and disadvantages go into the selection of an in wheel motor.

• Paul Evans

October 4, 2021 at 2:58 pm

While I understood the conceptual differences between radial and axial flow aircraft engines, I didn’t understand how the different types of electric motors actually worked.

Immediately following the Aptera Makers edition of the “white body” team, YouTube presented a very good basic science tutorial on how the two types of electric motors work, at https://youtu.be/8EEVPVNJHjM

Once again, it confirms that the Aptera team is making great decisions on the car’s design!

• John Malcom

October 11, 2021 at 5:11 pm

BIG RETRACTION!!!

We found out today, in the J. Leno YouTube video, that the electric motors provided by Elephe are in deed axial flux motors. A major departure for Elephe from their Top of the line motor.

Another feather in the advanced technology cap for Aptera

Thanks Paul for the link to the description of this technology.

The “New Hope” Sounds like a Star Wars movie😜

• Ken Bolinsky

October 11, 2021 at 5:45 pm

You beat me to it, Uncle John! 😃

• John Malcom

October 11, 2021 at 9:27 pm

Hmmm mmm mmm. Great minds think alike………..😄

• Curtis Cibinel

October 13, 2021 at 10:05 pm

Great minds think for themselves. Aptera entire concept is to buck conventional design – first principles design.

• John Reilly

October 13, 2021 at 7:31 pm

This means before starting an Aptera, you can go through a pre-start check list that includes, “Axial Flux motor 1, engage! Axial Flux motor 2, engage!” Totally unnecessary, but saying “axial flux motor” may never get old. Note bene, marketing team.

• Carl Knapp

October 14, 2021 at 4:10 pm

The motors control board uses a back to the future Arial Flux Capacitor.

• John Malcom

October 14, 2021 at 9:31 pm

can someone tell me who supplies the flux capacitors. I want to buy stock in that company

• Fanfare 100

October 14, 2021 at 9:45 pm

Please, please, let’s concentrate on releasing this Aptera first. It’s important that this iteration be delivered on time. Then we can worry about Flux Capacitors for the Aptera 2.0. 🤣😉 Engage!

• MidnightPilot .

October 14, 2021 at 5:02 pm

The later model will have a flux capacitor.

(when this baby hits 88mph…..)

• Ken Bolinsky

October 14, 2021 at 9:09 pm

I might just change my name to “Axial Flux” – but I’ll pronounce it, “flooz”, to rhyme with “shoes”.

Viewing 1 - 8 of 8 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now