Auxiliary Wind Turbine??

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Auxiliary Wind Turbine??

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Auxiliary Wind Turbine??

• Auxiliary Wind Turbine??

• Paul Schultz

November 23, 2021 at 2:06 pm

This will definitely seem crazy but given there was the recent idea of adding an input port on the Aptera to provide the option to add supplemental solar via accessory panels, why not use a home-type wind turbine for auxiliary power generation? An extendable pole/mast, the turbine, and the auxiliary port to connect to a power controller would get you a setup that could augment the 40 miles/day solar with some free wind-generated power. And, it has the advantage of working day and night… assuming enough of a breeze.

A crazy idea but it could add to the ‘never charge’ concept of the Aptera.

Paul

• George Hughes

November 23, 2021 at 3:05 pm

I’m sold on the port idea … I think. My question is since we’re dealing with electricity, would the port be useful over a range of voltage and power levels or would it be a like a 12-volt input on a computer accessory requiring a specific volt/amp input? I.e. whatever kind of additional solar array or wind turbine would be specifically configured for the Aptera input.

It would seem if you had an auxiliary stationary power source, you’d want it generating juice all the time. I.e. if you had a small wind turbine near where you park your Aptera, you’d be fine with it generating power when you ‘away’ … i.e. it would be stored in a dedicated battery and with an AC inverter you’d just attach that to an EVSE at 110 or 240v.

• Paul Schultz

November 24, 2021 at 4:32 am

Yes, a storage battery would make sense. And, I don’t feel a DC-AC inverter would not be needed. They are fairly inefficient to go DC-to-AC-to-DC. I believe a DC-DC converter would be doable and provide better efficiency if it were even needed. Most solar and wind generators are geared toward a multiple of a base 12V system. A DC-DC converter would handle this issue if the Aptera is designed to provide 24, 36. 48 volt from their solar panels to their solar controller. The controller handles fluctuations in voltage from the generator source so the vehicle batteries get what they are expecting.

I’m sold on the port idea too. And, this isn’t a fundamental change in engineering at all. These are added all the time in the RV world to supplement solar panels, mostly with more solar panels. But a turbine would be just as easy to connect. Adding the port would be a trivial addition and allow opening up further use of renewable energy sources in keeping with the Aptera mission.

I like the notion of a portable turbine as well. Somewhat analogous to adding the suitcase solar panels. Admittedly a niche use but I could particularly see using them when boondock camping as more power would be used for camping needs.

If Aptera added an auxiliary charge port for solar/wind and a smart onboard controller that can handle the auxiliary input we would be all set. Even if only providing the input port the auxiliary source could have its own controller. This is a common scenario as well in the RV world.

• Curtis Cibinel

November 23, 2021 at 3:12 pm

This would definitely be pretty niche so whatever they do can’t really add weight or complexity to the vehicle. A small buffer battery with an AC inverter would have some losses but this would overall be probably the best solution for this or offline solar.

• Alain Chuzel

November 24, 2021 at 8:54 am

A little off topic but…

Blackbird wind-powered vehicle https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackbird_(wind-powered_vehicle) has certified records of:

Traveling Downwind about 2.8 times faster than wind

Traveling Directly Upwind (no tacking) about 2.1 times faster than wind

Veritasium has some great vids on this vehicle:

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now