Aptera Width of 88 Inches – Real World Testing: other vehicles, roads & parking

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera Width of 88 Inches – Real World Testing: other vehicles, roads & parking

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera Width of 88 Inches – Real World Testing: other vehicles, roads & parking

• Aptera Width of 88 Inches – Real World Testing: other vehicles, roads & parking

Richard Tidd updated 3 weeks, 2 days ago 10 Members · 15 Posts
  • Raj Giandeep

September 26, 2021 at 2:43 pm

This weekend I cut a pipe to 88″ to get a better visual of how the Aptera would fit on the road, compared against other vehicles, parking, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfJsHNOy7sA

• Ken Bolinsky

September 26, 2021 at 3:15 pm

Nicely done! Most people forget that vehicle dimensions posted online rarely include the width of the wing mirrors…

• Philip Raymond

September 26, 2021 at 3:46 pm

Just to add some more thought to this post. The picture I have attached, is of the furnace exhaust pipe that pokes out of the side of my house that also has my driveway. My driveway 94 inches wide and this pipe sticks out 6 inches, which brings it to 88 inches at this pipe. The good news is, the top of the Aptera wheel covers at 27 inches high, will just make it under this pipe by one inch, as it’s 28 inches above ground at the end of it. I thought some other owners might have a similar situation at their house.

• Oz Man

September 26, 2021 at 3:57 pm

You could always cut and turn that thing (Or replace it with something else low profile) and gain back some of those inches. (Thinking about it, no need to glue it, it would hold very nicely as a slip fit and then could be taken off when needs be.)

• John Malcom

September 26, 2021 at 5:22 pm

Of course you planned it that way from the start right 😉

• Lou Verner

September 26, 2021 at 3:59 pm

Thanks for the video…definitely reassuring that wheel width unlikely to be a concern under most circumstances! Still might be useful to include self parking as part of the level 2 package.

• Philip Raymond

September 26, 2021 at 6:34 pm

In response to Ozman, yes I could do all of your suggestions, but I would be violating city building code laws where I live, if I did. It’s to keep furnace emissions from entering nearby windows. That said, I think I could get away with just sawing off the final 3 inch end of it and it would still aim the exhaust away from the windows.

• Fanfare 100

September 26, 2021 at 7:12 pm

Thanks for injecting some dimensional realism.

• Peter Jorgensen

September 26, 2021 at 7:45 pm

I made a bunch of to-scale drawings and put them in this thread regarding width. Check the pictures out. They should quickly give a good perspective of things. Basically if a Model X fits, Aptera fits the same.

https://www.aptera.us/community/discussion/width-of-car-and-european-roads/

Width of car and European roads

• Raj Giandeep

September 27, 2021 at 9:10 am

Great job on those visuals! Helps to put it into context even more.

• Richard Tidd

September 28, 2021 at 11:42 am

Thanks for this.

What about fitting into single car garages?

Will it fit though the entrance?

• Raj Giandeep

September 28, 2021 at 1:47 pm

When I see one on a walk, I’ll make a note of it.

• Harry Parker

September 28, 2021 at 5:25 pm

I took a tape measure to my pretty standard garage, built in 1976. It fits with about 4 inches to spare on each side. Tight, but doable.

But most of the time I’ll park it under the Sun. Maybe get a cover for it to protect against winter storms.

• Richard Tidd

September 28, 2021 at 11:44 am

Thank.

Have to tested a std single car garage entrance to see if it go into a garage?

• Richard Tidd

September 28, 2021 at 5:28 pm

Thanks. You confirmed my measurements. Looks like backing in with a white line down the center for the rear wheel for those who garage it.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 10 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now