Aptera Wheel Cover – Final Design?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera Wheel Cover – Final Design?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera Wheel Cover – Final Design?

• Aptera Wheel Cover – Final Design?

Lou Verner updated 2 weeks, 5 days ago 11 Members · 23 Posts
  • Raj Giandeep

October 22, 2021 at 1:21 pm

Just made a quick video to ease the minds of those worried about the wheel covers. Remember these are alpha builds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70zxjBfjEpk

• Ray Holan

October 22, 2021 at 2:56 pm

Raj, thanks for putting this video together. I myself wasn’t overly concerned with the shake rattle and roll of the wheel covers on the Alpha Aptera, but others were and this video is reassuring.

• Patrick Liebknecht

October 22, 2021 at 10:26 pm

My friend who is a retired mechanical engineer, noted the amount of flex and wobble in what he called “wheel pants” said they were similar to the ones on his fathers jodell 11 plane , said that on takeoff and landing they did the same amount of flexing and eventually would explode and take out a fabric wing very easily.

Sure no fabric wings here. But damage to the body or another vehicle is possible.

I’m glad they are sorted out 😀

• Leonard Nowak

October 24, 2021 at 8:28 am

Thanks for this Raj!

Yes the Aptera team has answered this in the forum a few times. Basically:

👉Only the Alpha

👉 Front wheel covers ( aka pants, fairings, cowlings) fully supported yet

👉Upcoming beta > development vehicle will see an inner liner that bolts to the wheel for added stability but…

Because of the physics of the design there will always be a slight shake

BTW

We haven’t seen the adjacent front arms aero covers yet, etc…

I had shared, in an old thread, a video of the old Chrysler Plymouth Prowler, a past roadster style vehicle which had exposed wheels with short fenders that covered just the top of those expose front wheels. They also had a slight shake in the production vehicles’ front wheel fenders

IMHO Development vehicles are “ Franken- vehicles”, until they get to “production intent”.

Although Sol is amazing good looking ,at the first ( Alpha) stage. I have see and been driven in the same one Jay drove.

They have to patch together a viable test vehicle , so people could see1) That Aptera’s renderings were amazingly close to the build 2) this unique car is safe enough, even at the alpha stage, to get real data with all these drives we witness.

Bring on gamma!🎉 Any color will do! 🤞 with more 🛎 bells and whistles?!

I digress a bit, but…

I can’t wait to see and hear from of the early reservation holders “ I have connected with” …. that are electrical engineers and EV owners… One in paticular, who is been in electrics for twenty years promoting EV, starting many EV clubs/ chapters…report his first hand experiences with his Aptera ( a Paradigm Edition) !

And being AZ based….Let the solar zone eight environment … “ Tell the Never Charge possibility”

He has been known to be the EV hyper-mile champ, exceeding many EPA EV ranges on EVs he has driven…so “ this should be interesting!

• Patrick Liebknecht

October 28, 2021 at 4:10 pm

How much ground clearance will the wheel covers have ?

Again my friend noted his Honda fit has a chin spoiler that is 6” off the ground and he drags it on every driveway, crib etc, he thought the wheel covers would be nothing more than fancy curb feelers.

I’m more worried about 3” or snow leaving me high and dry/cold lol

I figure if need be I’ll put some chrome or sticky molding on them unless they are Kevlar. Lol

• Curtis Cibinel

October 28, 2021 at 4:31 pm

Obviously nothing is final but I believe they said 5 inches was normal and 7 inches with the offroad kit. The body was 9 inches but it might be slightly lower as im not sure if this number was alpha or beta and beta seems to have lowered this. Functionally because the lowest points are right at the wheels I wouldn’t expect much issue on hills or driveways. I live in BC and drive to the ski hill regularly and have no concerns (especially with AWD and software torque vectoring)

• Nicholas Maskell

November 12, 2021 at 6:59 am

Are such large wheel guards necessary? Are they more aerodynamic? They seem too low to the ground personally and too flared I’d rather have half size wheel guards or none at all. Could be a real problem off road or on country tracks. This should be a go anywhere vehicle IMO.

• Peter Jorgensen

November 12, 2021 at 7:25 am

Agreed – Yes they are more aerodynamic. Exposed wheels are aerodynamic suicide. That’s why airplanes often have wheel pants. I’m planning on getting the offroad skirts since I want this to go anywhere a Subaru would.

• Lou Verner

November 12, 2021 at 7:31 am

I’ll repeat here as well…how much are you really sacrificing w/o covers if going at low speed over rough terrain? 10%? 25%? Doubt it would be the latter. Regardless, may be worth it if alternative is ruining those covers! Hopefully easy enough to take off/put on as needed!

• Raj Giandeep

November 12, 2021 at 7:53 am

They have mentioned the wheel covers are easy to remove. so if you are going off road you could remove & throw in trunk I’d imagine. The off-road option haven’t been shown yet.

• Peter Jorgensen

November 16, 2021 at 10:23 am

Low speed (below 25 mph) you’re not really losing anything.

Above 60 mph you’re probably cutting your range in half without wheel covers. Exposed wheels are aerodynamic suicide.

• Paul Kirchner

November 12, 2021 at 1:06 pm

Somebody must have taught my wife that to park close to a curb is good and to park even closer just has to be even more gooder! We have a Fiat 500 and I still have replaced so many tires from her puncturing the sidewall somehow.

I’m hoping that there can be the equivalent of a back up sensor on the tire shrouds to let her know, no to shout at her, that she does not need to get any closer to the curb.

• BRUCE MENGLER

November 12, 2021 at 5:48 pm

Many decades ago as a small child my Dad installed metal rods ( about 8″ long) that were wound like a spring and attach them onto the car body at the low
      They made a noise when they made contact with the curb.

Vintage Classic Antique Car Truck Universal Spiral Chrome Curb Feelers

• Ray Holan

November 13, 2021 at 5:48 am

Paul, your wife and my wife must be sisters! Fortunately, she’s only the queen of curb rash, not punctured tires. Maybe it’s time to bring back those funky, short, flexible rods popular in the 60s mentioned by Bruce. Low tech, but effective prevention;)

• Lou Verner

November 13, 2021 at 7:05 am

Honestly hadn’t thought about how tough parking might be on wheel covers but do see that as a problem – if we’re truthful, who hasn’t occasionally suffered curb rash and wheel covers would be even more likely to get “rubbed”. Wondering if light coating of spray-on bed liner would be smart idea?

• Paul Kirchner

November 13, 2021 at 8:54 am

I remember those “scrapers’ from my dad’s cars. I was obsessed over the appearance of my cars forever, and with my 20 year Audi (I just gave it away to my son-in-law to use as a track car)I may have scraped the rims 3-4 times in that period. Went out of my way not to get too close to a curb.

Yes, with those wheels hanging out like they do, they are ripe for a run in with all sorts of things. That wire scraper might be the ticket if they don’t have electronic warning chimes.

• GLENN ZAJIC

November 13, 2021 at 6:43 pm

I am hoping for some kind of sensor too. Those curb feelers worked well but they were attached to the lower edge of the body. The noise was transferred pretty well. I don’t know how effective that transfer will be from the wheel pants. Might have to hang a bell on it, or at least have the window down.

• Lou Verner

November 13, 2021 at 7:38 pm

All things considered, seems like sensors would be most practical – similar to fore and aft approach warning beeps

• Lou Verner

November 16, 2021 at 9:00 am

While we’ve all been concerned about damage to front wheel covers, just occurs to me that the low-hung skirt on back wheel may be at even greater risk of damage, given unavoidable potholes, road hazards, etc. Does anyone know if off-road package would also raising clearance of it as well?

• Raj Giandeep

November 16, 2021 at 9:09 am

Keep in mind while looking at the Alpha vehicles they sit lower than the production vehicles will. The final production Aptera, they have mentioned will have 5-6 inches of clearance all around. Off road kit height hasn’t been shown. I’ve heard 7 or 9 inch clearance.

• Lou Verner

November 16, 2021 at 9:59 am

Yes, aware of stated clearance increase from 5 to 7”, but was thinking that was just front wheel covers. Since back wheel skirt is part of body, increased clearance there would mean raising entire vehicle. Was wondering if that was understood as necessary feature of off-road package.

• Raj Giandeep

November 16, 2021 at 10:08 am

I’m sure they will do an off-road video when they are ready to show it. Let’s be patient until then.

• Lou Verner

November 16, 2021 at 1:18 pm

That would be lot of fun and really deal-maker/breaker when considering that option!

Viewing 1 - 9 of 9 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now