Aptera to Aptera Charging | V2V Charging

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera to Aptera Charging | V2V Charging

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera to Aptera Charging | V2V Charging

Tagged: , ,

• Aptera to Aptera Charging | V2V Charging

• Raj Giandeep

September 3, 2021 at 10:00 am

Had this idea on the previous forum. Thought I’d do a video to explain my idea a little more. Is this something you’d like to have in case of emergencies?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSiOgYpBVOg

• Joshua Rosen

September 3, 2021 at 10:21 am

I don’t see any reason for a car like an Aptera to support V2V. It makes sense in the F150 Lightning and the F150 hybrid because pickup trucks are used as tow trucks. AAA is going to need to have a means of charging stranded EVs at some point just as they bring gas to stranded ICEVs today. AAA is not going to be using anything like an Aptera.

As for V2H, maybe. V2H will require the installation of an automatic transfer switch and that’s a large fraction of the cost of a home backup system. I installed a 20KW Kohler generator several years ago, the whole job cost me in the neighborhood of $12K. The generator was only about $5K of that, the rest was the installation, transfer switch, housing and permits. V2H from a car would save you the cost of the generator and generator housing but the remaining costs would be the same. If you are going to spend that kind of money you might as well spend some more and get a robust solution. I can ride out a nearly week long outage with the two propane tanks that I have, and if the outage were to go longer I can always get the tanks refilled. If I were younger and lived in a sunnier part of the country I would have put in a solar system with powerwalls, that’s a lot more expensive than a generator but there is a long term return on investment assuming that you have the time to recoup your investment.

• John Malcom

September 3, 2021 at 12:22 pm

Based on the number of times something like this would be needed (Very seldom) vs. the engineering time and expense, supply chain setup, plus testing, and potential delays to production some 120 days out from first delivery, I believe it can wait for the next iteration of Aptera if needed at all.

The need/feasibility can be determined by a joint marketing/engineering group through their formal process of vetting enhancement ideas.

I believe their are two existing mitigations for this predicament in the current version of the Aptera. The first being the built in solar which can recharge a depleted battery. The second, I think Aptera purchasers are too astute to get them selves into this kind of predicament 😇😇

Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now