Aptera is both environmentally and socially responsible.

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera is both environmentally and socially responsible.

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera is both environmentally and socially responsible.

• Aptera is both environmentally and socially responsible.

Ricky Paul updated 4 days, 2 hours ago 5 Members · 7 Posts
  • George Beeler

November 24, 2021 at 1:42 pm

My enthusiasm for the super-efficient Aptera was reinforced again today reading the NYT article A Power Struggle Over Cobalt Rattles the Clean Energy Revolution

The quest for Congo’s cobalt, which is vital for electric vehicles and the worldwide push against climate change, is caught in an international cycle of exploitation, greed and gamesmanship.” https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/20/world/china-congo-cobalt.html?smid=em-share

Yes we need to electrify transportation and buildings using clean energy but unless we are super-efficient about how we do it, we inflict horrific unintended consequences.

• Curtis Cibinel

November 24, 2021 at 2:48 pm

Warning Paywalled

Cobalt is definitely an issue but hopefully battery recycling and using LFP for most vehicles will limit the issue. Non-cango countries also have mines so perhaps companies sourcing responsibly need to be using that as a sales tool (like fair trade for coffee).

Canada, Russia, Australia, etc could easily combine to about 50%+ of the cobalt. Plenty of options exist that aren’t currently economical to mine given labor costs but a 20-30% premium for “ethical” cobalt would solve the issue. Canada alone has 230,000 tons of known deposits.

• Curtis Cibinel

November 24, 2021 at 9:03 pm

FYI tesla made 500,000 cars last year with 2,000 tons of cobalt (about 1% of mined cobalt). With about 1 million this year and focus on lfp they are probably under 3,000

• Joshua Rosen

November 25, 2021 at 7:41 am

I’d be willing to bet that the majority of EVs will be using LFPs in just a few years. LFPs are inherently cheaper than NMCs because iron costs much less and is more abundant than nickel and cobalt. LFPs have longer life and are safer than NMCs, that along with their price difference will make them more attractive to most people. The performance is good enough, you can’t build a Plaid with LFPs but for any normal use they are fine. The 0-60 on the LFP Model 3 is 5.8 seconds, slightly slower than the 2170 SR+ but still about the same as my 2006 Chrysler 300C with a Hemi V8, that’s more than enough.

• Curtis Cibinel

November 25, 2021 at 9:53 am

Yes. In the future if LFP is used for all but the high performance vehicles then supply just shouldn’t be an issue. Recycling and ethical sources should be adequate. I hope the shorter range Apteras will eventually switch to LFP but it will take a few years and is covered in depth in other threads. I also remember reading that even in the congo most current production (70%) is traditional mining supported by foreign companies rather than the typical “artisanal mining”

• Anny Bank

November 25, 2021 at 12:54 am

Gotoassignmenthelp is team of leading professional writers for Case Study Help Writing Services to students all around the world. Contact us today for Best assignment help online at very affordable price. Under GotoAssignmentHelp we provide many types of help to the students. We are the most reliable assignment helpers. We have gained our specialization after spending most of our times in making ourselves perfect. We providing 100% plagiarism free Assignment Help. At the point when you pick our cheap assignment writing help service assistance, our faculty will consider the quality and your evaluation criteria.

• Ricky Paul

December 3, 2021 at 10:42 pm

Are you raising your eyebrow through seeing the never-ending assignment list? Well, you do not take this habit negatively as our professionals have the great attitude to offer the best solution. They are always thinking of a better way to reduce their academic pressure as much as they can. That’s why they initiated the Online Assignment Help to provide the readymade assignment solution to university readers and leaders.

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now