Aptera Passenger and Cargo Limits

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera Passenger and Cargo Limits

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera Passenger and Cargo Limits

• Aptera Passenger and Cargo Limits

• DON RASKY

November 22, 2021 at 6:13 pm

I understand the Aptera to have a maximum safe load of 500 lbs. I’m 270 and built something like a wrestler/weight lifter. With my primary passenger at 134 lbs, that leaves me slightly less than 100 lbs for cargo if I have my primary passenger with me. What happens with the Aptera if the vehicle is loaded 50 to 100 lbs above it’s rated capacity? My mother’s scooter weighs in at roughly 80 to 100 lbs.

• Peter Jorgensen

November 23, 2021 at 7:30 am

It’s like the first gen Honda Insight which had a tiny payload capacity too. I wouldn’t worry about it too much. It’ll feel heavy but that’s probably about it. If you take it over some massive bumps you might hit the suspension stops. If you do this all the time I would see if there’s a battery option that weighs less but has the same suspension – since there’s a 750 lb difference between the smallest battery and the largest for Aptera.

• Joshua Rosen

November 23, 2021 at 8:18 am

Wait until they release the real numbers before you start to worry. The suspension system has just been redesigned. They are still planning on having a 100KWh(usable) battery option, that has to be 600-800lbs heavier than the 40KWh(usable) battery, the suspension has to be able to handle that.

I can’t believe that they would build a car that was for ballerinas only, it has to be able to handle two decent sized men and luggage.

• DON RASKY

November 23, 2021 at 11:10 am

Much obliged. I figured it would have a bit of overcapacity built into it. Unless I’m piloting the Aptera solo I do not plan to load it to capacity or to tail load it. With my favorite 92 year young mother staying with me now, I’m thinking that the all wheel drive, 400 mile, with the off road suspension might be my best set of options as most of our weekend excursions are under 250 miles and no practical commute for me is beyond 240 – 250 round trip. If I have enough capacity for my passenger, her small electric scooter, and a Costco, Sam’s Club grocery run, I will be one very happy fellow. Heck, this might even be a good incentive for me to return to my more youthful trim to carry more cargo in the Aptera and less on me. ;->> Again gentlemen, many many thanks for the insight and counsel. I’m really liking the Aptera community already.

• John Malcom

November 23, 2021 at 11:48 am

Good for you! I am sure your mother likes road trips with her son. Unusual to see men in the U.S. taking care of elderly parents. Hats off to you for that. My mother lived to 98 and enjoyed road trips until her last day on earth.

Also some good common sense analysis for configuring your Aptera.

I will also take your advice for lowering the load on my Aptera from me. Especially important to keep in mind around the holiday season when I tend to overeat.

• DON RASKY

November 23, 2021 at 12:00 pm

Thanks John. My mother spent the majority of her life taking care of everyone around her at work and at home and even within the extended family. When my father passed, she was the only earthen treasure of any real value in the family. I figure that she put in 21 years with me, I owe her at least as much in return. And yep, she loves road trips and I think the Aptera might even be easier for her to get in and out of given she currently has to use the steps on the side of my truck to get in and out of the cab.

• Curtis Cibinel

November 24, 2021 at 11:09 am

Hypothetically if you are heavier (ie 300lb) and will constantly be at or around the overall vehicle weight limit (500lb for cargo/passengers) it should be possible to swap in the heavier suspension from the next weight/battery tier up (ie suspension springs for a 60 kwh battery in a 40 kwh Aptera). The battery is likely about 10lb per kwh so the math is relatively simple.

You would still lose range due to mass but by stiffening the suspension it would avoid bottoming to quickly. Obviously its best to stay under the 500lb limit but functionally they probably tune and test with the idea of a single 150-180 lb driver. Liability in accidents with an overloaded vehicle could also be a concern.

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now