Aptera Passenger and Cargo Capacity

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera Passenger and Cargo Capacity

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera Passenger and Cargo Capacity

• Aptera Passenger and Cargo Capacity

Posted by don-rasky on October 8, 2021 at 10:07 am

I understand the Aptera to have a maximum safe load of 500 lbs. I’m 270 and built something like a wrestler/weight lifter. With my primary passenger at 134 lbs, that leaves me slightly less than 100 lbs for cargo if I have my primary passenger with me. What happens with the Aptera if the vehicle is loaded 50 to 100 lbs above it’s rated capacity? My mother’s scooter weighs in at roughly 80 to 100 lbs.

curtis-cibinel replied 2 months ago 30 Members · 48 Replies
  • 48 Replies
  • Aptera Passenger and Cargo Capacity

curtis-cibinel updated 2 months ago 30 Members · 48 Replies
  • cooperep1gmail-com

October 8, 2021 at 10:07 am

Is it possible to get dimensioning for the driver side or even a tool/graphic on the website that shows this)? For example:

– Seat to roof (min/max and range of angular adjustment) (assuming seat back angle is able to be adjusted)

– Seat back to pedals (min and max)

– Seat back to steering wheel (min and max)

I am a tall individual (6’3″ with most of my height in my torso), and I am concerned about how I would fit.

• john-malcom

October 8, 2021 at 10:17 am

Check out this video by Steve Fambro as he reviews the Sol Alpha prototype. He discusses what changes will be made in the Beta prototype to accommodate tall drivers. The Beta is designed to accommodate drivers up to 6’5″.

The dimensions you are inquiring about will be available when the Beta prototypes are complete.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDMqEmUGxX4

• RGJ

December 10, 2021 at 7:25 am

When they say up to 6’5″ I am hesitant. Being 6’5″ I would love to drive this car on longer trips, having the ceiling more than an inch above my head is nice though.

• kerbe2705

October 8, 2021 at 10:20 am

Any measurements you’d receive now will be irrelevant when the beta prototypes are built.

• peter-jorgensen

November 23, 2021 at 7:30 am

It’s like the first gen Honda Insight which had a tiny payload capacity too. I wouldn’t worry about it too much. It’ll feel heavy but that’s probably about it. If you take it over some massive bumps you might hit the suspension stops. If you do this all the time I would see if there’s a battery option that weighs less but has the same suspension – since there’s a 750 lb difference between the smallest battery and the largest for Aptera.

• joshua-rosen

November 23, 2021 at 8:18 am

Wait until they release the real numbers before you start to worry. The suspension system has just been redesigned. They are still planning on having a 100KWh(usable) battery option, that has to be 600-800lbs heavier than the 40KWh(usable) battery, the suspension has to be able to handle that.

I can’t believe that they would build a car that was for ballerinas only, it has to be able to handle two decent sized men and luggage.

• curtis-cibinel

November 24, 2021 at 11:09 am

Hypothetically if you are heavier (ie 300lb) and will constantly be at or around the overall vehicle weight limit (500lb for cargo/passengers) it should be possible to swap in the heavier suspension from the next weight/battery tier up (ie suspension springs for a 60 kwh battery in a 40 kwh Aptera). The battery is likely about 10lb per kwh so the math is relatively simple.

You would still lose range due to mass but by stiffening the suspension it would avoid bottoming to quickly. Obviously its best to stay under the 500lb limit but functionally they probably tune and test with the idea of a single 150-180 lb driver. Liability in accidents with an overloaded vehicle could also be a concern.

• Ronnie

December 14, 2021 at 2:34 am

I’m 6’5″ (36/37″ inseam, ~240lbs).

I’m “taking Steve at his word” that we will fit comfortably whether it be headroom or legroom and as such, both carefully & adequately considered from design through to final execution ????.

• michael-solorio

January 25, 2022 at 6:37 pm

I found that it was noted already that the distance from the back edge to the seats is seven feet. This being the case, what size surfboard do you think could fit in the Aptera with the passenger seat forward and the trunk closed?

• Biker

January 26, 2022 at 4:16 am

That seven-foot distance might be with the seat somewhat forward – if you plan to have someone sit in the passenger seat, I wouldn’t count on fitting anything much longer than about 6+ feet. You might gain a bit more if you put it in at an angle – none of this can be confirmed until someone tries it in a production vehicle.

• lawrence-moore

February 6, 2022 at 12:03 pm

It would be really nice to get an 8 foot surfboard in as that is kind of a standard size—maybe with front seat laying back (works in my volt)?

• john-malcom

February 6, 2022 at 12:12 pm

Eddy,

I don’t know if you are a CA or FL surfer, or somewhere else. My eldest daughter is an avid surfer in FL. She intends to buy an Aptera as she is very environmentally conscious. She says her surfboard will not fit. Her plan is to remove the passenger seat which she claims she will not use and it will fit with plenty of room to spare.

Of course you can always saw off what doesn’t fit😉

• jesse-palmer

February 7, 2022 at 2:21 pm

This has been the one thing I have been wondering as well. What I’d love to see is a short video of them trying to fit a surfboard, or better yet, several surfboards, a bike, and any other types of adventure gear in the back. I am fairly confident it will fit a few shortboards, around 6 ft. I would be delighted if I could also fit a longboard in there, around 9ft, by putting the front seat flat or folding it forward. Currently, I can fit a 9′ longboard in my Honda fit by laying the passenger seat flat and going up to the windshield.

• Scott

February 7, 2022 at 2:55 pm

Hi Jesse, a video that showed easily putting a bike in the back of an Aptera can be seen at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0mJRSNOeTs.

• Lou

February 9, 2022 at 5:51 am

While I don’t have a surfboard of any length, I too would hope that the Aptera passenger seat can be folded down flat to allow for transporting items longer than the 6’ bed.

• matthew-behnke

February 15, 2022 at 2:15 pm

I have been able to find ZERO information on this topic. I am 6’5 adult that has a pre-order in. I really would like to know if I can fit into the vehicle. From my back to my knee measures 26 inches and from my butt to my head measures ~36 inches. Please let me know if I have a chance. I watch all the ride-along videos out there but nobody tells us their height and it’s really non-inclusive.

• KayleighVenne

February 15, 2022 at 3:32 pm

Hi Matthew! Yes, you’ll be able to fit in the vehicle. We have had basketball players well over 6ft take a ride in the Aptera— and they have no problem fitting comfortably! The Aptera was designed to fit someone that is 6’8 comfortably; however, someone taller may fit if they have a shorter torso. Our solar mobility is for everyone, so we’re designing Aptera to be very inclusive! Please let us know if you have any questions. Looking forward to sharing the final measurements with you as the specs are finalized. It’s exciting to share the road to launch with you! We are here to guide all Aptera members every step of the way.

• matthew-behnke

February 16, 2022 at 4:34 am

Thank you so much for the reply. It honestly made my day because I’ve been fantasizing about driving the Aptera and know my heart will be crushed if I can’t fit into one. I’m a walking advertisement for this company. I know you guys are committed to making something great.

Thank you

-Matt

• michael-solorio

April 24, 2022 at 6:58 pm

I just got to see the Noir alpha prototype in-person today at the Earth Fair here in San Diego. I’ll first say it is even more beautiful and striking in-person and really looking forward to seeing the production models.

I didn’t bring my measuring tape, however, I would say with the passenger seat folded down you could get an 8′ surfboard in there easily. Of course, the production vehicle may be completely different, yes we know this. However, Chris Anthony did mention in a video posted this month that it could fit a 7’6 surfboard and from my experience today I’m assuming he meant while carrying another passenger with the seat slid forward. He also mentioned you can fit 2 mountain bikes and even a canoe.

• danny-mattijetz

April 24, 2022 at 11:00 pm

I saw it there today also. Remember, it will be four additional inches deeper and either four or six inches longer. Even though I remember seeing this video, it looked awfully shallow near the back. It was clearly a close fit for that bicycle, but the extra inches should make a big difference.

• curtis-cibinel

April 25, 2022 at 1:05 am

The bike video was with the alpha (before changes). I think Steve from Aptera owners club claimed we have like 7 feet behind the seats. The weight at the far back will be shallow but definitely enough for a board or your head camping (if you’re not claustrophobic)

• Kirt

April 25, 2022 at 7:21 pm

Similar question, How about a 9ft fly rod? Can I drive/fish the river without breaking down my fly rod?

• danny-mattijetz

April 25, 2022 at 8:46 pm

Assuming Curtis is correct about seven feet behind the seats, you should be able to fold the passenger seat forward to fit a nine foot rod in there without any trouble. If you had a passenger with you, you could probably put the rods between the seats even with the passenger seat up.

• ian-comings

June 25, 2022 at 6:52 pm

I am 6’5″ ~290lbs. Will I fit in an Aptera? Or should I look elsewhere?

• kerbe2705

June 25, 2022 at 7:26 pm

@ian-comings Watch the most recent webinar video (it’s on the Aptera YouTube channel) to hear the vehicle’s designer talk about the interior: He makes a point of saying it’s not a “roomy” vehicle.

That said, they’re designing it for a 6’8″ tall person – but not for a very WIDE person.

We’ve also been told that the total payload (driver, passenger and cargo) that the vehicle can carry is 500 lbs.

We won’t know anything for certain, though, until they build and test a production-ready prototype.

• len

July 21, 2022 at 8:10 am

Before the suspension enhancement I had

500 # payload where “ for best ride” not more than 200# in the cargo area

So “at this development stage” that’s what I am planning on

And trying to keep a few more pounds off

Between my wife and this Aptera… I might be a healthier guy😉

• curtis-cibinel

July 21, 2022 at 9:46 am

Placing any heavy cargo (that fits) behind the seats would be ideal for weight distribution. I’m hoping they include plenty of tie points on the floor and sides of the cargo area so I can keep things from sliding around. This is why I often place cargo in the back seat rather than the back of my current car (also I seatbelt in 5 gallon jugs)

• konijntje

September 12, 2022 at 11:32 am

From the past, i have readed 500lb. I am also interested in the possible third chair option aptera wants to give.

But if i calculate 3 persons in the aptera, then you literary have no space left for pretty much any cargo.

Is it still 500lb now we arrived at the gamma?

How much weight can we go over it, with what consequences?

• Greek

September 12, 2022 at 12:04 pm

Many people will have ideas of what might happen…all would be conjecture at this point. All or most of APTERA’s resources and time will be 1st to get the vehicle into production.

Also you must consider for many people who have placed their order that they will likely delay their purchase for a 3 passenger version. So don’t expect any info anytime soon. I wouldn’t wait to make my purchase until they come out with a 3 seater and miss my place inline and a delivery delay. Based on the size of the APTERA itself, I can’t imagine a seat that would accommodate most adults unless the exterior body is also expanded over the occupants head…..My thoughts….NOTHING BUT CONJECTURE

• charles-preston-townsend

December 25, 2022 at 9:51 am

I’ve read the discussion about cargo and seen the videos of going to Costco and fitting a road bike into the back, etc. and my question remains: how difficult is it to remove the rear door? I imagine using the cargo kinda like a truck bed with two mountain bikes draped over the tailgate. Anyone tried removing the back door to turn it into a truck? (yes, I know it isn’t a truck with only 500# weight limit).

• Biker

December 27, 2022 at 1:43 pm

@Charles Preston-Townsend perhaps it’s not obvious, but the production model doesn’t and won’t exist in real life for another year probably – someone will eventually try removing the rear hatch to turn the Aptera into a truck but that is a long time from now.

• charles-preston-townsend

December 27, 2022 at 7:04 pm

Thank you, I am aware that they are not yet available. I just figured that with all the photoshopping and marketing that someone might have explored the possibility of opening up the back as a truck bed

• eugene-lee

March 19, 2023 at 10:14 am

I’m curious about the driver’s weight. Won’t the vehicle shift more to the left when driving solo? Uneven tire wear?

• joshua-rosen

March 19, 2023 at 10:19 am

It’s only a few hundred pounds lighter than a Miata, there is no problem with imbalance in a Miata so why should there be a problem in the Aptera. Also the front wheels are much farther apart then any other light car so it should be even less of an issue.

• eugene-lee

March 19, 2023 at 10:34 am

Last I checked a Miata has 4 wheels and this has 3. I would think the load would be felt on either side of the body.

• Greek

March 19, 2023 at 10:53 am

The driver is essentially sitting in the middle of a triangle and should have minimal effect on balance and steering. Remember though that APTERA’s weight limit is 500lbs.

• Lee-Jay

August 9, 2023 at 4:28 pm

The induction range we put on my son’s trike weighed 230 pounds. Are you saying a car wheel can’t handle that but a bicycle wheel can?

Page 1 of 2

or to reply.