Aptera, Just in Time Vehicle for Our Times!

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera, Just in Time Vehicle for Our Times!

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera, Just in Time Vehicle for Our Times!

• Aptera, Just in Time Vehicle for Our Times!

Ronster updated 1 week ago 5 Members · 9 Posts
  • John Malcom

September 6, 2021 at 2:28 pm

I have a classmate who lives and works in the suburbs of New Orleans. His power has been out and he can’t find a place that has gasoline for his ICE. He is very frustrated and his family is not comfortable as they have no light other than battery lanterns, no way to cook food, and no transportation other than foot to get supplies and materials.

If he had an Aptera with the full solar array, even if he could not charge it from home power, or a charger in his area because of the power outage, he would have up to 40 miles of commuting range, and if he had a future Aptera with V2H perhaps the ability to power some things in his home.

Thank divinity and the Aptera Team for the coming of the Aptera!

• Joshua Rosen

September 6, 2021 at 2:59 pm

If he had solar panels on his roof he would be able to completely power his house and also be able to charge his car. NOLA is a good spot for solar, no winter and very far South. Alternatively if he had a propane generator he would also be able to ride out the outage. A car only has so much power in it’s battery, if you drain it to power your house then you won’t be able to go anywhere.

I live in Massachusetts and we have frequent outages, and when it happens here it’s worse because they happen in winter. When we have a long outage the first day isn’t too bad, you can put extra blankets on the bed and make sure the cat’s join you there. By the second day it gets very uncomfortable and by the third it’s intolerable, that’s when you have to camp out at a friends house in a town with underground power lines. After I went through a winter that had two nearly week long outages I bought a generator and had them install a pair of tanks so that I could make it through a week long outage. Now when we have an outage I barely notice it, the only way I even know that’s it’s happened is that the lights flicker for a few seconds and my UPSes beep when they engage. I had a very brief outage when the remnants of Ida passed through last week, that one was so short that it wouldn’t have mattered but I’ve had a few long outages since I got the generator, nothing more than a day. When they happen life goes on normally and my car can also be charged.

As I’ve mentioned in another thread, the cost of hooking up your car as backup power is more than half the cost of putting in a generator. You still need a transfer switch, permits, and an electrician.

• Kenneth Bolinsky

September 6, 2021 at 3:09 pm

Politically, though, Louisiana is NOT a good state for solar – but it’s still 100% better than MS…

• John Malcom

September 7, 2021 at 6:45 am

Hard to have solar panels on his roof as he lives in a condo.

Many people live in multiple unit housing where solar is not an option. But if you live in single family housing you don’t think about that. In the area where I live many high rise condos and apartments have standby generators because the probability of outages is high with hurricanes and severe storms. I live in a single family house on a beach in FL. I do not have solar as the area we live in is evacuated anytime we have a severe storm come through. Probability that roof solar would be blown away in these storms (Roofs are lost all of the time) is high.

We, as ,many do here, have a Generac tied to our natural gas that works great during outages. Of course we don’t have to deal with the cold that you do, but it is hot and humid during the most active part of the hurricane season and we wimps need our air-conditioning

• Kenneth Bolinsky

September 6, 2021 at 3:12 pm

And it’s not just NOLA – the entire corridor heading north towards Jackson, MS, is without gasoline: Evacuees are like locusts (not that I hold it against them…). The region will be fuel-short for quite a while as the Gulf coast refineries were shut down as the storm approached.

• John Malcom

September 7, 2021 at 6:58 am

I have a son that lives in Carrier MS and works at the NASA Stennis Center. He is complaining he can’t get gas to go to work. I feel bad for the people that were in the path of the storm

• GLENN ZAJIC

September 6, 2021 at 7:47 pm

Due to aerodynamics it may not get blown around, but he might need the optional anchor!

• John Malcom

September 7, 2021 at 6:51 am

Hmmmm, Glen you may have hit upon a very important accessory Aptera should provide, a color matched (To the color of your Aptera) anchor to use in severe weather…..

• Ronster

September 9, 2021 at 6:01 pm

Crackin’ me up.

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now