Aptera detailing

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera detailing

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera detailing

• Aptera detailing

• Philip Raymond

November 6, 2021 at 11:46 pm

After searching the forum, this does not appear to have been discussed before. It’s a discussion that is probably best served by community members and not Aptera, if only because they have enough on their plate at the moment, but if they want to contribute, great! Detailing (aka-car washing and polishing) is something I believe I’m not alone in my interest. Since Aptera’s are composite material bodies using wraps instead of paint for color, what is the best way to keep Aptera’s looking their best? Does anyone here on the forums have experience in detailing wraps? Just a guess on my part, but the traditional car wash and/or polishing are probably not a good idea, but maybe they are, let’s talk!

• Leonard Nowak

November 7, 2021 at 3:06 am

Aptera hasn’t published the wrap they will use for production but Chris once mentioned in a video clip a 10M a ten year wrap…so I would suggest reading 3M’s 1080 wrap cleaning and care, which speaks to tour question.

I personally avoided car washed with all my painted cars, I would never consider “ my” Aptera for a car wash, even brushless but that is just “me”

I has a medium power 1200 psi pressure washer which I have been washing my two painted cars, for six years with great success. I don’t let them “get ahead of me with dirt build up and I apply a protectant two to four times a years and my painted finishes are great. One white the other a champagne like color

Both cars are garage kept.

I have a friend that had her Tesla vinyl wrapped and it is garage kept, but she used a dusting wand to remove light dust off her car and it always looked great. But she didn’t drive much😞

• John Wiley

November 9, 2021 at 6:48 am

I’m under the impression that highway driving deposits an oily film on the car that is picked up from oil that gets leaked onto the surface and builds up over time. I can speculate that this dirty oil film gets kicked up when the road surface is wet enough. I have always thought that this dirty oily film left on the surface of the car would require some kind of mild soap in the water bucket and a sponge or rag to get it cleaned off of the car. Not true? Maybe I’m learning of a new and better way to clean my car.

• John Trotter

November 7, 2021 at 7:05 am

After decades of using car wash places, I returned to hand washing with my Tesla, mostly because of the reputation of their paint. I also had the car wrapped. It’s way too early to say how things will stand up, just that I find I enjoy hand washing again. Reminds me of helping my dad wash the family cars back when paint was paint. Of course the Tesla is much smaller than our 1961 Impala and the Aptera will be even easier.

• Ray Holan

November 7, 2021 at 8:10 am

This would be a good topic for our forum friend, DeVonte. He made what seemed like a knowledgeable comment in another discussion thread having to do with wraps.

• Peter Jorgensen

November 7, 2021 at 3:05 pm

Just go to a self serve car wash where you put the quarters in and use the spray nozzle to clean off and soap and wax your car.

Like this.

• Philip Raymond

November 7, 2021 at 8:24 pm

Thanks Leonard for the suggestion about 3 M’s 1080 wrap info. I found it, here’s the part about maintenance and cleaning…….

Maintenance: Care must be taken to avoid scratching the film. Avoid
    using harsh chemicals and brushes when cleaning your vehicle and avoid
    parking near shrubs and trees or any other items than could scratch the
    vehicle.
    It may be possible to reduce the appearance of fine scratches by heating
    with a heat gun/hair dryer to approx. 50ºC often makes them disappear.
    Keep the heat gun moving across the film in a circular motion, do not aim
    the heat at a single spot for a long time.

Cleaning: Use a cleaner designed for high-quality painted surfaces. The
    cleaner must be wet, non-abrasive, without strong solvents and have a pH
    value between 3 and 11 (neither strongly acidic, nor strongly alkaline).
    Rinse thoroughly after cleaning and dry with a clean, soft cloth or soft
    rubber squeegee to avoid water spots.

Do not apply waxes or polishes to these films.

• John Trotter

November 7, 2021 at 8:48 pm

Just an FYI. Saw a report of Tesla Shanghai now shipping specific colors based on full wrap and rumors that Berlin would do the same. Only a few so far, but may become “main stream” to be able to economically have more personal rides.

• Lou Verner

November 9, 2021 at 6:58 am

Curious about 3M wraps so googled and found they now have “new, improved” 2080 wraps with “protective film layer”. Maybe this is way to go???

• Riley -_-

November 9, 2021 at 7:42 am

I’ve had several cars with vinyl stripes and never had any issues till I brought it to the dealership for an oil change and they gave it a “complementary” pressure wash. Took a few 1/4” chunks off the vinyl on the roof of the car. I applied vinyl protectant weekly but nothing stops a moron with to much PSI.

• GREG MIRICH

November 9, 2021 at 7:24 pm

I work for Adam’s Premium car care products and am on the official detail team for Barrett Jackson Auctions. Adam’s has a ceramic coating that works very well on wraps. It is a DIY coating that lasts from 6 months to one year for under $50.00. I use it on my XPEL paint protection film which is self healing like the 3M wrap films.

• kerbe2705

November 9, 2021 at 9:45 pm

Whatever the case, it will be the first vehicle that any of us have ever washed that will require its belly to be cleaned!

• Laura Batchelor

December 4, 2021 at 6:52 am

I am not that knowledgeable about wraps. What does one do if it gets a chip/tear from flying debris on the road? Like small rocks from an overloaded old dump truck full of gravel lumbering down the expressway? Or a big scratch from a shopping cart pushed by a moron in a parking lot? No matter how careful you are, life happens. If some parts are biodegradable, I’m thinking that any break in the coating on those will need to be attended to asap. I’m assuming that the biodegradable parts will be interior, but even those can get scratched during everyday use.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 10 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now