Aptera Competition in the EV Landscape in 2022-2023

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera Competition in the EV Landscape in 2022-2023

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera Competition in the EV Landscape in 2022-2023

• Aptera Competition in the EV Landscape in 2022-2023

• Ray Holan

November 13, 2021 at 11:04 am

The EV market of 2022-2023 will be the playing field for the first production Apterae.

There have been repeated posts here in the forum about how Aptera is a niche vehicle and needn’t be that concerned about SUV or Crossover EV models coming online. Yes, Aptera is unique. Nevertheless, in the spirit of “eyes wide open” you might find this video about the Korean automaker Hyundai’s plans for 2022-2023 EV’s interesting.

I speculate that this future surge of EV’s could either help or hurt Aptera sales.

It might help in that the volume of EV’s to be produced and introduced by mainstream manufacturers provides legitimacy for alternative EV’s like Aptera.

It might hurt by siphoning away prospective Aptera buyers with products closer to what the ICE auto buying public is used to, but now in EV form for prices not so different than Aptera’s (e.g. $35K-$50).

For the record, I’m totally committed to plunking my dollars down on Aptera, but I don’t want to ignore what my other choices are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f20AUPEK-TI

• Joel Smith

November 13, 2021 at 12:42 pm

The current version of the Aptera is undeniably a niche vehicle. That means that for many folks like me, one or more alternates will remain in the driveway. The folks who don’t have the option of owning more than one vehicle but who need (or think that they need) the extra capability will already be disregarding the Aptera. I will settle for being happy if they still choose an EV. Better still if it is not extravagantly more capable than they really need. I will be looking to replace my current alternate vehicles at some point and the more capable EVs, probably used at that point, that are on the market the better. Meanwhile I will be saving up for that purchase by driving my Aptera 98% of the time for virtually nothing.

• Ray Holan

November 13, 2021 at 1:00 pm

Yours is a compelling strategy, Joel. Thanks for your thoughts on this aspect of future Aptera ownership.

• V pilot

November 13, 2021 at 2:35 pm

I think any two seater falls under niche. In most locations the Aptera can be a four season automobile. Think about why you are interested in it, then see the thread Describe Aptera. There are, I’m sure, a lot more that have not discovered Aptera. We here are a small group here because we are self informed. There is not yet any mass advertising reaching out to others that share our views. Tesla prices and above don’t appeal to me, nor do foreign makes. Young, price conscious and, older buyers that have wants vs needs in perspective will be the first. The door is constantly revolving. Vehicles for me have always been basic no frills transportation, under 25K. My last purchase was in ’09

• Raj Giandeep

November 13, 2021 at 3:41 pm

For me personally the Aptera would be replacing my ’13 Nissan Leaf. I have no need for more than 2 seats. I’m excited to be able take a road trip in my own car again in the 600 mile range Aptera

• Lou Verner

November 14, 2021 at 9:32 am

Turning back to competition, Green Car Reports today led with fact that Tesla has just raised price for standard AWD Model Y to $60,160!!!! I had put in order for Y 2 years ago but withdrew when all the fit/finish problems came out. While probably still best EV SUV on market now, so happy that I’ve now got order in for 600 mile range AWD Off-road Aptera for >$20K less!!! Other SEVs coming next year, Toyota, Subaru (Toyota twin), Fisker Ocean (maybe). Of car they’re talking about 2-3 miles solar gain per day…big whoop! Fingers crossed Aptera doesn’t raise its prices before they’re into production!

• Lou Verner

November 14, 2021 at 9:35 am

Sorry got my arithmetic “less than” backwards…should have been <$20K and “less” redundant! Duh!

• Lou Verner

November 14, 2021 at 9:37 am

Double duh…still needed that “less” at the end of sentence. Someone have more coffee out there?

• Lou Verner

November 14, 2021 at 10:02 am

OK, I’m going back to bed! Cheese-o-man…had it right the first time! My Aptera as currently configured will cost me more than $20K less than the Model Y! Use your words, Lou!

• my_discord_number_is_0328 bloody stupid

November 14, 2021 at 7:47 pm

removable areodynamic roof storage boxes, tie down bag storage, renting a trailer, are all enough for most extra temporary storage needs.

pointing out that most people dont use so much storage space most of the time does help, most people dont recognize that. even in ride sharing, people tend to have a single load of customers who are usually alone. people will moving and living more alone much more with traditionally family structure becoming less popular down plus social media disincentivising physical socialization vs before it become so accessible. remember when extended family household was the norm?

so car be compact with a quickly removable areodynamic piece for non local drives which happens often in larger cities, where areo piece will prolly never be used as inter-city rental car especially in a compact city future which is likely b/c such is probably cheaper generally , while cost of living rises. after low running cost, it maybe just as economical to have 2 two seaters than single cheap 4 seater or at least 2 cheap four seaters, and one of the cars can follow with self driving software as virtually being a powered trailer, so driving with it is not slow like normal trailer. for 2 people per household to goto work (which is common b/c rising cost of living, but then so is working online and automation) 2 two seaters can be driven different places at once vs 1 four seater.

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now