Aptera Beta Progress Thread

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera Beta Progress Thread

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Aptera Beta Progress Thread

• Aptera Beta Progress Thread

Leonard Nowak updated 1 week, 2 days ago 13 Members · 26 Posts
  • Peter Jorgensen

August 13, 2021 at 8:42 am

Discuss Beta Progress and updates here:

What is the status of the Beta prototypes?

Tooling? Molds? Are bodies in process?

Last I heard – as of June, some engineering changes were made to various things after Alphas, and we will probably hear more after Luna is unveiled.

• Leonard Nowak

August 13, 2021 at 9:24 am

Last I saw was Aptera’s Beta Update vehicle from Steve… but none of that granularity with stages and timing

Yes Luna being finalized, so that is next ( later this month?)

• Steven G. Bueche

August 13, 2021 at 2:01 pm

Can you discuss any tweaks being made to the Beta besides head and side room?

• Kenneth Bolinsky

August 19, 2021 at 11:08 pm

In one of the webinars we saw a beta rendering that showed the shell having a molded upper and slower structural member – whereas the alphas have a molded left and a molded right with a molded inner floor structure. It wasn’t explained – just shown…

• Mark Langenhoven

August 22, 2021 at 6:48 am

Steve mentioned in one of the videos that the cargo area will also be deeper on future models.

• Peter Jorgensen

August 19, 2021 at 1:22 pm

Update: They started milling the molds for beta vehicles last week, so they should have the molds within the next 4 weeks – so circa Sept. 16 they should have molds for beta bodies. So it sounds like there may be a beta body around the end of September.

Plates for 12 betas also arrived recently.

• Fanfare 100

August 19, 2021 at 2:14 pm

How might this align with the capability to deliver the fist vehicles before the end of the year?

September –> October –> November –> December does not leave much time. Might we have visibility to a Master Schedule within a reasonable time?

• Henry Kitt

August 19, 2021 at 3:01 pm

Yeah, what I think the goal is now is to have a “production intent” vehicle by the end of the year, so the only thing that I think may be possible at this point is to have fully completed 1 delta vehicle, and use that as a basis for scaling in 2022.

Though in that scenario the delta vehicle would need to be almost identical to the beta vehicles, outside of some cosmetic touches.

Fully outfitting a new production facility will take awhile so first deliveries in January 2022 is probably far fetched.

• Kenneth Bolinsky

August 19, 2021 at 11:11 pm

As I understand it, gamma prototypes are “production intent” while deltas are “production ready,” usually having been constructed using the actual “assembly line”. The only difference between gamma and delta is tweaking to improve the “manufacturability” of the design.

• Steven G. Bueche

August 20, 2021 at 3:01 am

With some of the issues facing them about acquiring a manufacturing building I would think they’d be hard pressed to move in, set up and start building before mid 2022. I don’t have any insider information so I’m just guessing. But if it takes 30 days to machine a mold and it appears they’ve got 6 due soon with the recent changes, then ramping up assembly sequences, part suppler issues, test runs, crash tests and everything else I think mid 2022 seems a bit more realistic.

• Alex L

August 20, 2021 at 4:32 pm

I am *more* than happy to have delays now if it means not compromising on the final product.

• Pistonboy

August 21, 2021 at 3:53 am

I would like to know how the molds are constructed.

• Leonard Nowak

August 21, 2021 at 3:51 pm

Seems like it is formed the way Chris Anthony’ composite boat’s hulls were formed???

For the Aptera…. a resin filled sandwich core composite

I believe there are old pictures in the website/on the internet, posted just before the Dec 2019 Noir reveal that showed some of the forming operation… but more than that… I have not seen.

• Norman Roberts

August 21, 2021 at 4:29 pm

from past comments, molds are 3D printed, but Chris said milling machines were firing up to make the molds ?? Maybe they are 3D printed and final cut to precise shape on a mill ??

• George Hughes

August 22, 2021 at 8:45 am

Maybe a 3-D subtractive process where you start with a specific material and then remove the parts you don’t need.

As far as the assembly factory from my understanding, the hand-built production design has most systems pre-assembled and put into the final car.

It may help you conjure an image of how spartan the assembly line may be – I understand the car is assembled on a small air-dolly that can lower and lift the car during assembly as it is rolled, on the dolly, down the assembly line. The main challenge is establishing the order of operations in the construction for the fastest quality build quality build they can offer without incurring the major expense of giant presses and paint shops. They would need air-compressors around to run the power tools and to operate the lift on the dolly but compared to the image folks have of an automobile assembly plant, this factory is ‘nothing’ but a wide-open warehouse.

The understanding of this simplicity in construction comes from Nathan Armstrong who contends that a single man with seven simple hand tools can take an Aptera apart in a matter of a few hours. (The bonded body would not be separated in this deconstruction.)

• Steve L

August 24, 2021 at 9:41 am

George, do you happen to remember the link to where Nathan Armstrong said that someone could take it apart in a few hours with hand tools? I want to show my friend that because he’s a big right to repair guy and that might convince him to buy the car.

• Kenneth Bolinsky

August 23, 2021 at 9:52 pm

We saw the molds for the alpha shells being CNC-milled from foam blocks – which is typical for fiberglass molding. Whatever composite eventually forms the Aptera shell, it looks as if both the alpha and beta prototypes will be made from fiberglass.

Unless they plan to use fiberglass as the production “composite” any testing done on the beta prototypes (crash, stress, etc.) would be moot. It’s usually the gamma range of prototypes that are subjected to testing as they are considered to be at least 90% identical to the final product.

• Leonard Nowak

August 24, 2021 at 5:16 am

Remember there scenes of Noir coming together back in ~Nov 2020… I attached a few together in this collage…

• Peter Jorgensen

September 17, 2021 at 11:16 am

Here are old pictures of the alpha molds.

• Peter Jorgensen

September 8, 2021 at 8:21 am

Still hoping for molds to be completed around Sept 16th?

Also, new update – Design work is mostly done and they are starting to build betas now:

“We’ve released full tooling for suspension, body, glass, and closures. We’ve refined the interior and electrical, and we’ll start seeing parts delivered in the next few weeks.”

So optimistically by the end of September they might have a rolling beta body/chassis.

• Paul Evans

September 8, 2021 at 2:47 pm

The more I learn from Aptera’s progress and philosophic approach, the more I am reminded of the Albert Einstein quote; “Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.”

• Peter Jorgensen

September 17, 2021 at 11:17 am

Alright, it’s September 16. So the Beta molds should be done about now?

• Leonard Nowak

September 17, 2021 at 12:37 pm

The Sep newsletter video stated set around the Sep 20th moon event…

• Peter Jorgensen

September 17, 2021 at 2:06 pm

That’s for Luna – Not beta molds, right? Or am I confused?

• Leonard Nowak

September 17, 2021 at 2:49 pm

Those look like the Noir molds, shared back in 2020 but then the molds should all look about the same through alpha series Right?!

Viewing 1 - 13 of 13 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now