Another look at torque-vector steering

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Another look at torque-vector steering

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Another look at torque-vector steering

• Another look at torque-vector steering

Kenneth Bolinsky updated 1 month ago 8 Members · 10 Posts
  • Kenneth Bolinsky

August 11, 2021 at 11:06 am

Transport Evolved reports this story regarding a future OTA update to the Archimoto FUV: https://youtu.be/G6uhv_0324M

• George Hughes

August 11, 2021 at 5:24 pm

I’ve been downright excited about the potentials that come from torque vectoring from carriage height to parade mode.

What we run into with torque-vectoring is this capability, which comes with in-wheel motors, is a complete game changer for the entity that exploits it. For instance, my research around here raises the idea that Aptera will use electric power steering like that on most every other car which is not really much different than that on an ICE vehicle except there is an electric motor, rather than belts off the crankshaft, that run it.

As the reviewer in the video above noted, Archimoto is going to have to ‘re-program all their older FUV’s to use the torque-vectoring because they didn’t use it initially.

Probably the greatest problem with torque-vectoring is that it really hasn’t been used in a popular vehicle up to this point. The obvious reason is that in-wheel motors for passenger-class vehicles is a relatively recent arrival. As a technology that would only arrive through electrification of automobiles – it wasn’t going to happen when efforts were all directed at ICE vehicles – I’m sure it has been potentially doable for some time.

From what I gather from reading, some uses for torque-vectoring include the ability to endlessly drift without risk of a spin-out, better natural road-handling and then it makes possible things like spin in place.

• my_discord_number_is_0328 bloody stupid

August 19, 2021 at 9:14 pm

so is there going to be mechanical steering column, so the steer assist can be lessened or even totally disengaged, for more communicative steering in order to be competitive with new subaru 86, mx5 miata? lotus was struggling before the chinese brought them out only recently and the chinese have are about to start their first lotus sales experiment with the emria, maybe they are still open to collaborating with aptera, given its said they were exceptionally good at making “slow-car-fast fun.”

• Peter Jorgensen

August 20, 2021 at 7:38 am

I don’t think many people here have any interest in the 86, miata, supra, etc. I sure don’t…

Aptera’s real competitors are the Tesla 2, Tesla 3, Nissan Leaf, Chevy Bolt, Hyundai Ioniq 5, etc. If you must look at gas, then maybe a gen 1 Honda Insight.

And I’m pretty sure a mechanical steering column is a huge requirement for safety and liability at this point. So yes – especially with a steering wheel. Otherwise we’d have gone to joysticks a long time ago. Aptera’s already working with Roush so I don’t think they need to much help on the steering from anyone else like Lotus.

• Carl Knapp

August 22, 2021 at 12:55 am

I am excited about torque vector steering. I use to drive a three-wheel CanAm Spyder and it was not fun on twisty roads or at low speeds. Also, test drove a Polaris Slingshot and was not impressed when driving in the mountains. I really would like the Harbor Freight parade kit option for doing spinnies in the garage. 🔄

• Joshua Rosen

August 24, 2021 at 8:32 am

Interesting comments about twisty mountain roads. That’s exactly the use case that I want the car for. I don’t commute, most of my miles are day trips to VT, ME, NH, Berkshires and RI. Driving along a twisty mountain road or along the seacoast is the whole point of those trips, the Interstate portion is boring and annoying. If the handling is poor under those circumstances that would be a deal breaker. According to Transport Evolve’s latest video that interviews Sandy Munro about the FUV, the torque vectoring feature is a game changer. Apparently the low speed steering on the FUV is awful without it but it’s completely transformed with it. Aptera will be able to do it because or their in wheel motors but in what time frame.

• Gabe Kemeny

August 24, 2021 at 9:49 am

The Acrimoto (or similar) steering at low speed is “awful” due to the inherent nature of that setup (very narrow handlebars without power steering) – the Aptera steering is nothing like that and shouldn’t have that issue even without torque vectoring.

• Ozman

August 24, 2021 at 10:45 am

Arcimoto has just added torque vectoring, and will backward install the software to all of it’s vehicles. The difference (Reported by Nikki from TransportEvolved and Sandy Monro) is pretty astounding. Link to video here. Also contains Aptera reference just after the 2:00 minute mark. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkUOWGv1qLs&ab_channel=TransportEvolved

• Kenneth Bolinsky

August 24, 2021 at 10:47 am

Actually, it’s due to the weight distribution – even with power-assist steering it’s difficult to turn the Arcimoto front wheels at a standstill. It’s not a feature of poor design.

• Kenneth Bolinsky

August 24, 2021 at 10:48 am

Aptera has been talking about torque-vectoring and/or torque vectored steering since the get-go: It’s planned as part of the vehicle’s basic operational dynamics. So, I’m guessing the “time frame” is is “past history”.

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now