Airless tires and Aptera

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Airless tires and Aptera

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Airless tires and Aptera

• Airless tires and Aptera

pistonboy updated 3 weeks, 6 days ago 6 Members · 8 Posts
  • pistonboy

September 18, 2021 at 1:12 pm

<div>The attached video talks about Michelin’s airless tires may be available on Tesla vehicles in the near future. This tire would solve the problem of Aptera not having spare tires because you do not get flats. Unfortunately Aptera will start production before these tires are available. </div>

But would we be able to switch over to them when they do come out? From the pictures, it looks like the rim and tire may be joined together as a single piece. Are they? Can rims be kept and the tire portion be changed like traditional tires? Also they appear to require a special rim, and would that rim fit over the Elaphy in-wheel hub motor?

The drama continues!

https://youtu.be/h6HUNbdRRDI

• Ken Bolinsky

September 18, 2021 at 1:45 pm

Most new cars are sold without spare tires these days – I don’t see this as a problem but, then, I’ve driven hundreds of thousands of miles over the past 20 years in four different cars and have never had a flat or a blow-out. A worst I’ve driven over metal debris that’s become embedded in the tread and created a slow leak that could be repaired. Tire sidewalls are much tougher nowadays than they used to be.

• Leonard Nowak

September 18, 2021 at 2:39 pm

Ken

I wish we had your tire luck!

Down here in southern AZ with many primitive roads …We have had more flats tires ( seven) in four years … more than we had in 47 yrs of paved roads in NJ😔

Chris said he would not entertain airless tires at this time

And the fact that they are heavy, that was another reason not to look at them at this time.

Fuel economy and handling may be slightly affected by the use of airless tires, which are heavier than conventional tires. Michelin

• Paul Evans

September 18, 2021 at 2:44 pm

I checked the Michelin website which says they will start distributing airless tires in 2024. They’re going to be equipping a fleet of cars in Las Vegas for real-world testing. Also, they’ve already tested them with GM on the Bolt.

A quick check on Tire Rack reveals they offer tire and wheel packages for the Bolt. The wheels have a 5 bolt wheels range from 16 to 18 inches with a rim width from 7 to 7.5 in. Wheel offsets range from 38 to 40 mm.

A typical tire size for 18in rims is 215/55R16. A typical 18in rim tire size is 215/45R18

There was a good discussion on tire sizes on the old forum centering on aspect ratios and comfort but I don’t remember the details.

With the information above, someone may be able to contribute better information than I could.

Oh, one other thing, the Beta version information on tire sizes may change since Rousch has worked their magic on the suspension ……

• John Malcom

September 18, 2021 at 5:33 pm

Check out Fanfare 100’s post on this forum for reasons (URL) why airless tires are not good for EV’s

• Randy J 20820

September 19, 2021 at 5:08 am

Came across this today. Full article https://newatlas.com/automotive/michelin-gm-uptis-airless-tire-demo/

Michelin has teamed up with GM
      to design and start selling an airless tire for street use on passenger
      cars. Called Uptis, this product is a full-wheel solution requiring
      specialized rims. Michelin says it will withstand much greater impacts
      than a regular tire and wheel, and will have a “dramatically” longer
      lifespan, while adding no extra rolling resistance, not feeling any
      different to the driver and adding only around seven percent to the
      weight of the wheel – less than existing run-flat tires do.

• John Malcom

September 19, 2021 at 10:05 am

This marketing collateral is inconsistent with other reviews which say:

– increased weight

– increased rolling resistance

– heat build up

– certified for lower speed driving only

– subject to tear/damage of spoke material (not metal)

I trust the Aptera engineers will conduct analysis and select the best tire for production vehicles while following Advances in technology and integrating at the right time to preserve or enhance Aptera p performance and safety

• pistonboy

September 19, 2021 at 5:08 pm

While the airless tire from Michelin is very interesting to me, there is one concern I have.

The tire is open from one side to the other. It is possible to look through them. This means mud (and other debris) can lodge in these opening, harden, and the wheel would be out of balance. It would be a lot work to get the mud out of those many small spaces, especially when dried.

Airless tire users would have to avoid mud while traditional tire users could go on their merry way. This would not be a big problem for me, since I live in the desert, but most of the country is not desert. (Yet even I sometimes encounter mud.)

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now