A message from beyond the grave.

Aptera Community Solar EV Industry News A message from beyond the grave.

Aptera Community Solar EV Industry News A message from beyond the grave.

• A message from beyond the grave.

• Bob Kirchner Kirchner

September 8, 2021 at 4:38 pm

I had forgotten I was (am?) an Elio reservation holder. I mean, 2009 was a lifetime ago, it seems. I’m sure if I searched long enough I could find the Tee shirt I never took out of its envelope.

Aaaanyway, what should I find in my inbox today but a message saying:

Good Morning Elio Reservation Holders,

Wow, it has been a while since we have had the chance to say that and frankly, it feels good… and we’re back!

Stay tuned for a number of important and exciting announcements over the next few weeks on our path forward. In the meantime, you can head over to the SEC website where you can view our recently filed reports and financial statement.”

Is the desiccated corpse of Elio Motors being reanimated?

The horror!

• Chad Dunham

September 8, 2021 at 4:55 pm

I never heard of Elio before. I had to look it up. I’m not impressed, especially if they are keeping it ICE.

• Bob Kirchner Kirchner

September 8, 2021 at 5:03 pm

I am no longer impressed as well. The project was significantly mismanaged, in that when they saw that repurposing Suzuki engines didn’t give them the results they wanted, they tried to develop their own engine without sufficient capitalisation to carry it through.

But in 2009 the idea of a minimalist, REALLY cheap car that was also very carbon efficient by the standards of the time had some appeal to me.

Advances in Battery tech have since made the whole idea obsolete, for sure. And the form of the vehicle as they proposed it really doesn’t have space for a battery driven drive train.

• my_discord_number_is_0328 bloody stupid

September 8, 2021 at 7:46 pm

is there info on what their own engine was going to be like? im thinking the “free piston” concept where generator powers motor (with turbine, which supposedly reduces emissions to only co2 and not the other arguably worse stuff) and battery is only big enough for basic regen braking, or the concept where they did the same except used air pressure instead of electric battery.

if i remember right, nissan claims 87-90 mpg on their “Note” hatchback, and their version is a lot less adventurous than the ones described here…

• Bob Kirchner Kirchner

September 9, 2021 at 7:26 pm

There wasn’t anything especially innovative in the engine they were designing. It was essentially based on the Suzuki G10 engine they had intended to use from the start, but with a new cylinder head and valve train to reduce the fuel consumption, while giving up some of the torque that their lightweight, relatively aerodynamic vehicle wouldn’t need.

• John Malcom

September 8, 2021 at 7:03 pm

are you sure you are not smoking something………Elio coming back….can’t be. You know, admitting you had an Elio reservation on this forum opens you up for a lot of potential abuse

• my_discord_number_is_0328 bloody stupid

September 8, 2021 at 8:03 pm

show us email plz

• Bob Kirchner Kirchner

September 9, 2021 at 7:43 pm

The relevant text is in the quote I provided. The rest was just filler.

• Ronster

September 8, 2021 at 9:03 pm

Take it for what it is but apparently they are going electric (if at all):

https://www.eliomotors.com/

All their social media links have old info.

• Joshua Rosen

September 9, 2021 at 7:03 am

Looks like an electric city car this time. They have a bizarre way of stating their range, they say that you can go for three days on a single charge and then in small print they say that the average commute is 52 miles. Elsewhere you can find the range of 150 miles. No mention of charging speeds, the only thing said is that it will charge from a 120V outlet, does that mean that it’s Level 1 only? That would be a non-starter.

Elio’s legacy is that they did a lot of the ground work to get three wheel cars legalized. They never seemed like they knew what they were doing when it came to actually building a car. Their pricing goals were incredibly unrealistic, their original objective was something like $7500. The new iteration is $15K which also seems unlikely. However if GM/SAIC can build an EV for $4000 in China then maybe $15K isn’t impossible.

Just looked at their website, the $7500 car is still there.

• Bob Kirchner Kirchner

September 9, 2021 at 7:30 pm

It was even more unrealistic than that. Originally they said they could offer it for $6000.00.

Unless they are restarting with a clean sheet design, I don’t see how they could be going electric. The original design just didn’t have the space for batteries.

I agree about the legwork they did on helmet laws as they apply to three wheelers.

• Joshua Rosen

September 10, 2021 at 5:54 am

The electric one looks a little different. It’s obviously just a render, there is no indication that they’ve built anything not even a roll it down the hill mock up in the grand Nikola tradition. If all they are doing is publishing drawings why not include a Mr Fusion personal thermonuclear reactor, that would certainly solve the range problem.

That said it is cute looking and it doesn’t have Aptera’s width problem but at the expense of having a Driving Miss Daisy seating arrangement. If they could actually build the thing it would make a good commuter car.

They still have the $7500 gas version on their website, they ought to drop that idea. Although the pictures look nice I’m sure the actual vehicle would be absolutely horrible. I can’t imagine anything more obnoxious then listening to a motorcycle engine. Tata has proved that you can’t sell ultra cheap cars even in an impoverished country country like India, the Nano was a failure and they’ve killed it. A $7500 US built car would likely be no better than the $2000 Indian built Tata Nano which is to say it would be terrible.

• Joshua Caldwell

September 10, 2021 at 8:32 am

It didn’t have a motorcycle engine, it had a small engine already common in compact cars and they contracted a company to create a new engine they could make instead of buying ones from a company that might not continue making them, but then Elio flopped and has been gone for close to a decade… I suspect this comeback is simply a seek for money to repay the quarter billion dollars in debt and I doubt it will actually be made.

• Joshua Rosen

September 10, 2021 at 10:13 am

The way you fix the dept problem is by going through bankruptcy. Chapter 7 the company, set up a new one to buy the IP in the bankruptcy sale and do a restart. That’s essentially what Aptera has done. The went under, sold the company to a Chinese company which did nothing with it and then a couple of years ago they bought the IP rights and name back.

I would assume that they are serious in their restart attempt, they probably saw what Aptera is doing and thought that they could give it a try also. Doesn’t mean that their chance of success is very good, the jury is out on Aptera also. I’d certainly rate Aptera’s chances a lot higher than Elio’s but it’s far from assured that they will succeed.

• Bob Kirchner Kirchner

September 10, 2021 at 5:34 pm

I should have specified the Suzuki engine in question was from the Suzuki Swift / Geo Metro.

• Kenneth Bolinsky

September 9, 2021 at 7:52 pm

Elio ran a rendered image on Facebook this afternoon – it appeared to be identical to the ICE model.

• Philip Raymond

September 9, 2021 at 11:18 pm

I just looked at the Elio website and it appears on the surface, they are serious. That said, Aptera has nothing to worry about, Elio (if it ever comes to fruition) is just a city commuter car. I do wish them well, in that it’s always good to get more EV’s on the road. They also make a big point about building and sourcing nearly all U.S., using the former GM Shreveport, Louisiana factory that previously built Hummers.

• John Malcom

September 10, 2021 at 8:49 am

Bob, do we need to arrange for a grief counselor???

• Bob Kirchner Kirchner

September 10, 2021 at 5:32 pm

Maybe a dance teacher, so I can dance on their grave.

Viewing 1 - 9 of 9 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now