2wd vs awd efficiency losses.

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions 2wd vs awd efficiency losses.

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions 2wd vs awd efficiency losses.

• 2wd vs awd efficiency losses.

• Jesse Liebl

October 7, 2021 at 4:30 pm

In one of the company talks they mentioned possibly up to 10% less range with the AWD version of the vehicle. This could affect my choice on AWD vs 2wd. I have a few questions to help me decide my preference.

#1. will the AWD be selectable to 2wd to gain back some efficiency if desired?

#2. Is 2wd true 2wd as seen in a case such as a limited slip differential in a 2wd ICE car. or since it is hub motors the lack of a differential could allow for true 2wd or locker type rotation where if one were to peel out they would leave 2 track marks instead of 1 track mark as experienced in a conventional differential 2wd vehicle. If this was a true 2wd full time type of drive system I suspect many would opt for the 2wd versions to gain back efficiency. ???

• Leonard Nowak

October 7, 2021 at 4:40 pm

I doubt you will get an answer directly from Aptera in this forum although…. you never know!

Info@aptera.us might be more direct way to try

They are only at Alpha and cutting Beta vehicles

Unless you have an early reservation number… you have plenty of time to find out

I ordered everything, as I can change anytime “ on line” and do not have to commit until order time

• kerbe2705

October 7, 2021 at 6:17 pm

As Elaphe is custom-designing the motors and controllers for Aptera, I’m guessing we won’t know the answers to these questions until they’ve received a prototype in Slovenia and can experiment with it.

• my_discord_number_is_0328 bloody stupid

October 7, 2021 at 7:16 pm

2wd is more efficient, awd is for extra quick acceleration and agility. i guess they will also maximize use of rear motor in a drama mode, another mode for efficiency and smoothness.

• John Malcom

October 7, 2021 at 8:14 pm

Mr.(s) Norwalk and Bolinsky are quite right, too early to get an authoritative answer and not to worry because you have plenty of time to get the information you need to make your decision.

Engineering is complete for Betas and Beta build has started. There are two more prototype iterations before a production vehicle is ready. All of the prototypes will go through a refinement cycle and testing. The results of the testing will be made available and Aptera can then answer questions with real world testing data.

Also, let me remind you that Roush was working with Aptera on suspension design and Aptera has redesigned the rear suspension, so any data available prior to the redesign will no longer be valid.

Aptera is pretty open about their engineering so I am sure you can expect a satisfactory answer when the data is available from testing.

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now